follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » Traveling With Pets
04 Feb 2010
William
Traveling With Pets

My wife and I are taking our pug with with us on a MAC flight when we PCS to Naples. We'd like to hear your experience. Thanks!

05 Feb 2010
Rick
GREAT!

We traveled here just over a year ago with 2 beagles. The AMC personnel where fantastic. We left from Norfolk and stopped in Azores for fuel and they had our dogs out and ready for us so we could let them out for a bit. Once we got to Naples again they had our dogs waiting for us. I was absolutely amazed at how they treated the animals.

05 Feb 2010
Jamie
Cats?

Ha sanyone done the MAC with a cat? Does the cat go down below? Someone told me once that you have to have your cat as a carry on....how is that? Just curious... :)

05 Feb 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post
Very well treated

We did not bring our dogs but were on a MAC flight with several dogs. What Rick said is true, as families with pets were allowed outside in Azures (very annoying that rest of us could not go outside!) to be with their pets. We were there for about two hours so there was plenty of time to exercise them and give them some attention. We spoke with a couple of families with dogs on the flight and they were very happy with the process. I've heard the animals are treated better than the humans on those flights! :)

05 Feb 2010
Lori
cats

we brought our cat over with us in 2006 and will take her back with us in July. On the MAC flight she was in a small hard carrier and stayed behind the seats in "first class". On our way to Norfolk from Texas, she rode in the cabin with me, under the seat in one of those large purse-like carriers.

05 Feb 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Traveling w/pets

We brought our cat with us from Guam to Naples. If you want to call me at home I can send you info on traveling w/pets which I have via email. Since NAH does not like us to post our email addy's here is my home phone # on base 629-5738

Joanne

05 Feb 2010
Jamie
thanks!

Lori- Thanks for the info... I wouldnt mind keeping him with me under my seat. What did you do about having to go potty though? What if he pee's in the carrier? There would probably be some unhappy passengers saeted near us! :P

Joanne- Im assuming that since you came from Guam that you are the same Joanne I work with....So I'll talk to you about the travel info at work! We aren't leaving for quite some time anyways...Im just curious! :)

05 Feb 2010
Lori
Jamie

Well, as soon as Katie sees the carrier, she loses her appetite, whether she's just going to the vet or going on a trip. She's flown from LA to Hawaii, from Hawaii to Texas and from Norfolk to here and never once gone to the bathroom on any of those flights. She's been on long car trips, too and just would rather hold it. Maybe you could get a small cardboard half box (like muffins come in, but small enough to put in your carry on) then carry a sealable bag with clumping litter in it. When you stop in Lajes, see if he wants to go, then either scoop or throw the whole thing away. Sounds a little gross, but when my kids were babies I carried a lot of gross things around, then, too LOL.

I usually put down a towel, then a shirt I've worn to sleep in for her to lay on. That seems to comfort her a lot. Hide some treats and either get one of those hanging bottles of water or a small sontainer you can refill if you need to. If you think your kitty might pee, I would just pack extra old towels and some sacks to put them in if he has an accident. Vets can sometimes give you a kind of kitty tranquilizer you may want to ask about. It doesn't knock them out, but they will be more calm on the plane trip. Some people don't like the thought, so it's up to you. I've used them and she had good flights, but since she's getting older I may skip it this summer.

Hope this helps!

06 Feb 2010
William
Flight Times

How long does it usually take to fly from Norfolk to the Azores and the Azores to Naples? Thanks!

06 Feb 2010
Jamie
Flight times

William- If I remember correctly it was about 6 hours from Norfolk to the Azores and then about 4 from there to Naples.

06 Feb 2010
Lori
Flight Times

It is either 5 or six hours from Norfolk to Lages and then close to or less than 4 to Naples.

10 Feb 2010
Lori
Still Azores?

Has anyone flown here recently from Norfolk? I heard they don't stop in Lajes anymore. We were hoping to go there for spring break, so it figures!

10 Feb 2010
Jamie
Lori

Hmmm...I havent heard that one yet. We flew the MAC over from Norfolk last November and as of then they were still stopping in Lajes. My friends wife just went back on the last rotator, Ill have to ask him if they still stop there!

13 Feb 2010
Alisha
Stopping in the Azores

I flew to Norfolk at the end of December and back to Naples two weeks ago and we stopped in the Azores both times.

13 Feb 2010
Lori
Azores

Yay! Our spring break is saved! (as long as they don't change the schedule! LOL)