follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » Spouse Employment
26 Jan 2010
William
Spouse Employment

My spouse is a licensed cosmetologist, and she is worried about getting a job at the salon in the exchange. We heard that they usually hire locals. If she can't get a job there, are there any possibility she can work out in town? Thanks.

26 Jan 2010
Angela
More than 50 messages post
Employment not good for spouses

As far as I know, all of the people in the salon are local (mostly italian). It is very difficult for a spouse to get employment here as there are tons of spouses in the same boat and all applying for the same jobs.

Military spouses are not allowed to work out in town (she wont have a work permit), however people usually offer their services from their home to other military personell. You see this alot on here under "Services". I know a couple of ladies who do hair/makeup this way as well.

If you want a job on base, then make sure she gets the Sojouner's Permit, you cannot work without it, it is offered at Area Orientation or you can go to the Legal Office at Capo to apply.

Your best bet for a job as a military spouse is the CDC and perhaps the NEX at times. The majority of other jobs I would say go to locals before mil spouses.

Not trying to be negative, but these are things I wish someone had told me before we moved here so I could have known what to expect.

Also, if you have kids, daycare is a huge issue. I have been on the waiting list at the CDC for more than 2 years. Just to give a heads up.

27 Jan 2010
Jeannie
School positions

There are almost always jobs available as teacher aids at both schools, especially at the beginning of the year. And they are always looking for subs. So if you have some college education and like kids, that's an option too.

27 Jan 2010
M.
More than 100 messages post
Sojourner's Permit and employment

The Sojourner's Permit is not optional to seek employment, and it MUST be obtained within a certain timeframe after arriving in Italy. This document is needed to be able to reside in Italy legally for the duration of the orders. Every non-EU citizen spouse needs to have a Sojourner's Permit regardless of whether he/she will be seeking employment. There are positions which are reserved for US citizen only (which local nationals cannot apply for) and positions which are reserved for local nationals (which US citizens cannot apply for). Dual citizens of the US and the host country (Italy in this case) are not allowed to apply for either kind of positions. It is simply not correct to state that local nationals receive preferential treatment over military spouses, as a position could not arbitrarily be given to both categories. The number of positions reserved for local nationals is dictated by the SOFA (Status of Forces Agreement). Although I do not have figures, it has been my experience that spouses with undergraduate and graduate degrees, and/or who previously held DOD jobs tend to find employment much more easily than spouses who do not have such qualifications. Also, a child can be placed on the CDC's waiting list as soon as orders are received, which could mean several months prior to actually arriving in Italy. If the spouse is a full-time student, the priority level is immediately moved up and it makes it considerably faster to get a spot. Several spouses have chosen this route.

27 Jan 2010
Angela
CDC

I put my kids on the waiting list for CDC before we even moved here (when we recieved orders) and still have not gotten a spot. Basically, the CDC told me that if you dont have a job or are not going to school, then you just sit on the waiting list. I spoke with them yesterday to confirm I was even still on the list.

Also, I know for a fact that they have offered some jobs as US citizen positions and then changed them to local national positions even after having US citizens apply for them. I see more postions for jobs that most adults would want for locals than for US. Others that I see are more for teens (life guards, cinema, food court, etc.) And like I said, you have several spouses going for the same few positions so its competitive. That is just my experience, perhaps others have different info.

27 Jan 2010
Lori
CDC

Does the CDC still have a list of approved individuals who can care for kids in their homes? This might be an option for you

27 Jan 2010
Marilyn
US Greencard holders with Soujourners.

I just wanted to add that in order to get a job on base (NEX, HRO or MWR) you MUST be a US Citizen - even with your Soujourners. There is no way around it. When I first came to Italy 19 months ago - it wasn't 'so much' of a problem because the NEX was hiring basically any US Military spouse. But, things have changed alot since January 09 because of the reinforcement of the SOFA agreement. After going through MANY channels on the base, finally concluding with the information obtained from the Legal Office, any person who's country of citizenship is not a part of the NATO agreement cannot work on base for any Appropriated and Non-appropriated fund (NEX or MWR). The rules for the HRO are the same as if you were in the states and that is that unless you are a US Citizen - you cannot work for the government. This has been in effect since 9/11. However, there are jobs on base that a non-citizen can do such as: Bagging at the Commissary, Bus Monitoring, Subway and I have been informed by a 'former' non-US citizen that those with Undergraduate degrees can work over at JFC's Montessori school. Other than that, you are pretty much out of luck if you are a non-citizen - yet a US Greencard holder (Permanent Resident). Also, just as another option, you can still take advantage of the MYCAA that's being offered to spouses and go to school here (and you don't have to be a citizen), just an eligible spouse.

Goodluck.

30 Jan 2010
William
Spouse Employment

My wife is just afraid of being bored when we're not sight seeing. She worked at fast food restaurants and did retail and she hates it. Then she went to school for over a year in cosmetology and got a job really quick. She does an extraordinary job and she really wants to continue. I'm hoping they can do something for her at least at the salon in the exchange.

21 Jul 2010
Celeste
Re: Spouse Employment

If she is good at nails, I would gladly hire your wife and recommend her to all my friends because the manicure/pedicure services at the NEX are terrible.  I also tried several salons out in town (Bacoli, Pozzuoli) and have been very frustrated and disappointed...  boy what I wouldn't give for a "Vietnamese Nail Mafia" salon here in Naples.  Please tell your wife to advertise on the services section or contact me directly!

21 Jul 2010
Celeste

23 Jul 2010
Sara

Tell your wife to go to FFSC inside the TLA bldg on support site.  There is a lady there ( I think her name is Melony) whos primary job is to help spouses get employment.  She can tell her all the ins and outs.  She is very helpful.  There are actually allot of jobs, not only on SS but also on Capo that your wife can apply for.  I am a spouse (without my degree and no former DOD employment) and I was able to obtain a  very good GS position on Capo.  You just need to know where to look, and how to apply correctly.  Dont listen to the rumors about Italians taking all the jobs....honestly its just not true.  I will say, that I do "think" only locals hold the jobs at the beauty salon on base....but I really dont know for sure.  Just go get  the facts and put in a little time, Im sure she will find something!!!

Also-something she might want to look into.  I have a neighbor who wanted to do hair from home but her husband told her No because its not legal to work out of your home, unless you are certified (IE: CDC provider) and they could get kicked out of housing.  Again, this could be a rumor, but I would make sure first.

Good luck and Welcome!

23 Jul 2010
jason

I have to agree, for everything that we heard about spouses not being able to get jobs, my wife got 3 offers after a week of applying.  If you want to work, there are jobs.  Also, she spoke to Melony because she too does spa services and was told that the beauty salon is local nationals only, however Melony said she talked to legal and it is ok to do services out of your home you just cant advertise in places like the panorama or put flyers out, but you can have cards and honestly word of mouth is the best way.  If she really wants to do that and isn't sure, pop over to legal and Im sure they will verify any questions.  Hope that helps and good luck!

27 Jul 2010
Tim and Kristina

I agree this place on base and out in town are not the best they don't do it like americans do.

04 Aug 2010
cole

There are positions available at the Teen Center. It offers full-time and part-time positions. Full time gets post allowance (Cola) and is a GS position. It is a really wonderful job that really gives back. Just a suggestion for anyone wanting to get into the government system and make some decent money.