follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » apartment pictures?
07 Dec 2009
Emily
apartment pictures?

Could someone please post pictures of the inside of the apartments on base? We will be PCSing there soon and I would like to see if there are things I should buy. -Is there space in the bathroom for any type of storage unit?? We have a few rugs but I plan to buy more this week.

We should be getting a 3 bedroom unless we get lucky.

07 Dec 2009
Sean
pics

i dont know how to post pics in here but we hav a three bed room. We have a storage thing that u can place over a toilet over the dabay since it will not fit over the toilet. We have closets and the kitchens are kinda small so keep that in mind. Bed rooms are small too even tho we have a King size bed two dressers and two in tables is a tight fit but doable. We can also fit two dressers two twin beds and changeing table in the other room the thrid room is a play room for our girls has a hide a bed and two selves ad little kids able bins for toys and a few other things. in the living room we have our TV stand fairly large. Sofa loveseat recliner and a table. and computer desk we have set up and most people are shocked with that we have in there and its open its a trick but there are three types are three bed rooms we have the smallest one but the living/ dinning room is the biggest out of it.

08 Dec 2009
cole
Think white

Everything is white- the floor, the walls, the wardrobes- everything! Also in Italy- they don't like closets- so bring storage items. When we first PCS'd here, we thought we would get a bunch of new Itallian furniture, so we packed lightly. I don't suggest this. Bring as much from the States as possible, because it's expensive and there isn't the selection we used to back in the states. If you can get floor rugs before getting here- that would be a great idea.

08 Dec 2009
Christina
Floor Plans

Copy and paste the below URL to see floor plans for the 3 bdrm units on the support site.

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/Naples/Departments/Housing/Pre-Arrival/NavyLodge/NAPLES071227021

Every unit has a balcony or patio so I highly suggest you bring outdoor furniture with you. There is only a slim and costly selection at the NEX.

09 Dec 2009
Emily
thanks!

Thank you! I had purchased a big steel rack, wire shelving with about a 2'x 2' footprint but I took it back because I'm just not sure if there is somewhere to put it. Maybe I do need it after all? Are we allowed to paint the apartments? We will also need new pots and pans as well as a vacuum cleaner soon. Should we buy those here too?

09 Dec 2009
Dominique
Things to buy

The walls have to remain white unfortunately. If you can find a deal of pots and pans before coming out here than yes I would suggest buying those in the states. Here the NEX prides itself on offering only High priced Brand name items. Rachel Ray, Emeril Legasse, and Paula Deen sets. I've seen others, but the sets are somewhere along the $150-$300 range. Vacuums, I couldn't say. But def try to get all the furniture and kitchen appliances you can before coming.

09 Dec 2009
Mickaela
vacuums

There is a very small selection of vacuums at the NEX, and most of the time all you can find are the display ones. I would pick one up in the states, unless you might want to get one off base, but those would have the 220 plug!

09 Dec 2009
Christina
110 vs 220

Each room is wired for both 110 & 220, but there don't seem to be enough 110 outlets and they are not always conveniently located. We've found that if we run both our electric griddle and the water kettle at the same time, the fuse will blow. We work around this but it might be worth swapping to 220 for some of your small appliances.

Make sure to bring a good UPS for your computer and other electronics, too. The power on base isn't very reliable.

09 Dec 2009
Lori
extension cords

Bring along some of the extension cords that are flat so they can be used behind dressers and wardrobes without the furniture having to stick out from the wall. I don't always look, but when I have, I've never seen that kind at the NEX.

If you have any lamps that need special bulbs you may want to bring a few extras.

If you sew, stock up on zippers, material, thread, patterns, etc. I couldn't have made half the clothes I did for my girls if I hadn't

09 Dec 2009
Emily
thank you all!

This is great information! If you think of anything else please let me know!

10 Dec 2009
tammy
Special Items

If you use a special brand of anything, like makeup/hairspray/spices/soap/etc. bring a few extra's. If you do any kind of craft projects, stock up on supplies. We also brought extra air & oil filters for our car. To make room in our wardrobes we used spring rods to add additional room for hanging more clothes so you might want to bring a couple of those. If you have containers that fit under your bed those work great for extra linens and clothing. If ever in doubt if you should bring something with you - better to have it and not need it than need it and not have a walmart around the corner :)

11 Dec 2009
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Coming to Naples

Every apt is different, the 4 bedrooms are as big as the 3 bedrooms, they just cut the bedrooms down, the sq footage is the same. I have a 3 bedroom, and my bedrooms are huge but my living room/dining room is average and I have a decent size kitchen. Like I said all apartments vary, and vary depending on rank or GS status. I have lived here just over 5 years and have seen good and bad, you just have to take Naples as it is, look at it as an extended vaccation. It is a good sounding board for the rest of Europe, plus Naples it's self has some great history and places to see. Come with an open mind and you wil enjoy it.

11 Dec 2009
KIFORNEE
Coming to Naples

You can paint the walls, but you must paint them back before leaving. So Dominique this is good info for you as well. I would suggest that you buy coated pots as opposed to stainless steel because the calcium in the water ruins them. Great points made by Joanne as well. Everybody pretty much covered the suggestions. Good luck!

13 Dec 2009
cole
Curtains

Bring curtains- they don't sell ANY at the Exchange! I have 92" for my front room. Italy style curtains are very sheer, so if you like your bedroom dark at night- bring curtains from the States.

13 Dec 2009
Cat
KIFORNEE

Are you talking about painting the apts off the support site or on? Because they say no painting on the support site. And Cole is right about the curtains...but they do have a pretty good selection at stores off the support site.

13 Dec 2009
Myia
Painting

I just moved on the Support Site and our housing manager told us that it's fine to paint the apts as long as you paint them back before vacating.

15 Dec 2009
Emily
Thank you!

oh good! I would love to finally paint. I don't mind about painting it back.

Do all of the rooms need 92" curtains?

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!

15 Dec 2009
Emily
kitchen windows

On the floor plans it looks like every kitchen has a window to the balcony. Is this correct?

15 Dec 2009
Amy
Depends

It depends on your zoning manager for SS painting wall. My girlfriend can paint her walls, but I have a different manager and I cannot. In fact I got these decals that left some color on the wall. We PCS in 6 months and they said I have to do whatever it takes to get the color off the walls that these decals left behind! But all in all it's great to live on base!

15 Dec 2009
Christina
Painting

Actually, according to the Housing Handbook provided upon move-in, painting is NOT allowed at all. The Zone Managers don't have the authority to override that.

16 Dec 2009
Ellen
Pots and Pans

As for pots and pans I invested 8 years ago in Pampered Chef and love it as it is a lifetime warrenty. If it is broken in a move pampered Chef will replace it if you send in the broken parts. :) Its great if you are doing a lot of moves.

16 Dec 2009
d
painting/pots and pans

We were told by Angelo (housing manager) that we could paint, and they would paint it back, and that wall decals were also permitted. I called to double check this with him today and he stated that yes it was fine. But I'm glad that I read these posts because now I'm very hesitant to paint.

As far as pots and pans, if you have stainless steel then go get bartenders keeper. It works wonders!

And yes, there is a kitchen door to the balcony and two in the lr/dr. There is also a storage room in our 3 bedroom, as well as a rather large laundry room. The Storage room has shelving in it, but there's still enough room to put a desk and computer in, as well as the two extra large shelving units. I hope you enjoy your stay! Let us know when you make it in!

17 Dec 2009
Emily
perfect!

If the storage room is that big that would be perfect for us. My husband is a musician outside of his Navy carrier and I have been trying to figure out where in the world we are going to put all of his recording equipment. I can't wait to get there. Hopefully we will arrive mid-January but we are still waiting for our passports to come back in right now so we can get our visas. I'm sure space won't be an issue for a while since we don't pack out until early January!

17 Dec 2009
Jamie
Storage room

We have a 3 bedroom unit and our storgae room is tiny! We do have the 2 shelving units they provide but there is hardly any space left over. My friend has a 3 bedroom unit and we have similar floor plans, but her storage room is huge....my living room is also 2x the size of hers. I think its just luck of the draw as to what you get!

17 Dec 2009
JoAnne
Storage

Our storage is upstairs and is quite big, we have been able to store A LOT! Some storage units are below the building which I don't recomend as they tend to flood, get damp and cats have been found living down there. The other posts are right, you can paint as long as you paint back to the original...blah! white color :) You can get curtains out in town and at the markets which are very resonable. I bought my at IKEA and brought some with us as well. We have 2 balcony's the one at the back is long and has a decent storage unit where my husband keeps all his tools etc (the one upstairs is quite large) then we have a smaller balcony off the kitech which is we have a small 2 seater swing on and a table w/4 chairs, we have fitted 6 around it. When you get here don't let housing push you into the first appt they show you, they should show you 2 and should be 2 different ones NOT the same floor plan. When you get here, here is my # on base feel free to call and I will be more than happy to help you where I can. 629-5738

Joanne

19 Dec 2009
d
floor plan

We have a storage upstairs that is large, and our storage room in the unit is large as well. It does also depend on your rank as to where you get located, but I agree with Joanne, they will tell you that there are only 2 units available, which is not true. Just push them back until they allow you to see all units. There is also a store called progress here that you can go and get a lot of curtains and housewears which is reasonably priced.

20 Dec 2009
Emily
rank and housing

what ranks typically get put in what units? Also- it says on the web site for the base that if we refuse housing that we will not get our TLA anymore. Is there a certain number of times we can refuse or will we lose it after the first time?

20 Dec 2009
d
rank and housing

There's officer housing and enlisted housing. We are 06 and have a nice sized apartment. There is a certain number of times you can refuse, but I don't remember what it is (don't want to quote you the wrong thing) I'm on facebook if you want to add me just look for valeta in Italy and you'll find me! I have pics of the housing there if you want to see them.

20 Dec 2009
Lori
rank and housing

when we first got here we met people who had been in the Navy Lodge for 6 months because they were looking for the perfect house. I think it's changed a little since then, but don't let housing tell you you "have" to take something and don't let them tell you there isn't anything else available. They only showed us 2 places when we got here, both with the same floor plan that had doors onto the patio in what would have been our then 6 year old daughters bedroom. They tried to tell us nothing else was available for 6 months when we knew for a fact that there were 8 empty 3 bedroom places in our sponsor's quad alone. We held out and in a week's time one of the empty apts there magically opened up. 4 of the others stayed empty for over 6 months. I think if you know which floor plan you want and it's available (and you have a good sponsor who will be firm with housing) your sponsor may even be able to pick up the keys and bring you to your new place from the airport. I know someone in my husband's office has done that, but that may have changed, too.

22 Dec 2009
JoAnne
rank and housing

Lori is right, they did the same thing to us, the sad thing was that was just over 5 years ago (yes, we have been here a long time) and that was when there were hardly anyone here on base, no NEX, the smallest commisary you have ever seen, no bowling alley or movies etc and yet they tried to tell us there was nothing available and showed 2 appts the exact same, same floor and same view!!!!! Check what you are entitled to (rank wise) the start pulling off the web site the floor plans you are interested in. Lori is also correct about the sponsor getting keys for you and accepting a appt, just make sure it's the one you want if you do that.

Housing is like the evil empire LOL! there is no ryhme nor reason how they place families NONE!!! I have never lived on a base before (we have lived in Iceland and Guam) that was so messed up with many things. However, there are a lot of good things, like I said before in an earlier post, "come with an open mind, and treat italy like a long holiday"

22 Dec 2009
M.
Housing assignment criteria

This is a very sore spot for us. We came here right after they were handing out larger units (i.e. with an extra room compared to what one would normally qualify for) as if it were candy. I am not kidding, a day later. So, after 62 days in the TLA fighting to get a 3 bedroom, we ended up getting a 2 bedroom. We have one child and this is what we qualify for. Needless to say, a couple of months after we moved in, they started handing out larger units again, but only to the people in TLA to get them out of there, as they were staying in there indefinitely. I find it extremely unfair to see people with the same rank (or lower) as my husband with NO children or only one child in a three bedroom apartment. The two-bedroom units are very, very small. The previous government housing community that we lived in in the States was very strict and applied the same rules to everyone, so I was shocked to see how things worked over here. :(

23 Dec 2009
JoAnne

I fully agree M. I don't mean to make this chain a "moaning session" (to put it nicely) but you are right in what you say, it is not fair how housing places people. Why they carry on making 2 bedrooms I will never know as in this day and age everyone needs more room, children or no children. I know a couple now (no kids) and are civilities who live in one of the brand new huge 3 bedroom apartments, back of the base. Ok, so there are civilians who are high up in the GS system "however" it says when coming into the base "Welcome, the NAVY support site" NOT civilian support site. Military should get first crack at all housing and yes, depending on rank (I do believe rank has its privileges and no I am not an officers wife) then civilians. I know teachers who have 3 bedrooms and or single as well as some military single members who were allowed to move into housing have a 3 bedroom. Now granted some of them have to share so why not give them the 2 bedrooms? I don't know!!!!!!! Housing needs a swift kick in the rump and start doing things by the book and not as they choose!!!

23 Dec 2009
jj

Joanne,

Civilians work for the Navy and the Navy pays for them to come here. I don't think it's fair to complain about their rank and priveledges (or your lack of) because they've worked hard to get where they are and are in fact superiors to Navy enlisted and officers. That being said I agree that housing has their quirks and inconveniences, but let's be honest, you have a roof over your head and for that you should be thankful instead of "moaning". Let's remember what this post was inteaded for and that's advice about what to bring for the housing,and not moaning and complaining about your own hardships because of your rank. Got a complaint take it up with housing.

23 Dec 2009
jj
Housing criteria.

That was meant to say civilians are sometimes superiors to Navy E and O

24 Dec 2009
JoAnne

Ok, I truly do not want to turn this into a bitching session! but I don't believe you read my post correctly!! I "personally" have no complaints or hardships and did not mention anywhere that I did! "However" what I was saying is I don't agree with how housing "houses" people. I am one of the lucky ones and have a large apartment but if I had my way I would be living off base. Again, what I don't agree with is shoving families in a 2 bedroom when others get a three bedroom with no children regardless of rank. What happened to the so called quality of life for those folks? And yes, I have gone to bat for many ppl coming here and got them apartments which when first told were not available.....amazing isn't it when you bring certain people into the equation an apartment suddenly appears?? Housing just needs to get their act together and house appropriately.

Merry Christmas JJ and a Happy New Year

24 Dec 2009
M.
JJ

I have absolutely no complains about entitlements due to rank (for both civilians and military). My only complains are for the fairness (or rather lack of it) in assigning units. From the way you talk, I would imagine you do not live in a two bedroom. Yes, I am grateful to have a roof over my head. However, it is still very frustrating that, depending on factors OTHER than official entitlements, people who should be in the same unit as ours are in a much larger apartment. Take it up to housing? Obviously you never had to take anything up to housing. I also wanted to add that I resent your statement that civilians are superior to our military servicemembers. Just to give you an example, my husband could work as a civilian doing exactly the same job with exactly the same experience but with a much higher rank. And yes, we would be entitled to a much larger apartment if that were the case. So would it mean that he worked harder to earn that priviledge? Obviously not, as he would still have the same experience, the same background and the same skills. And I believe only Emily (the original poster) or Admin would have the right to remind us of the topic of this post.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

25 Dec 2009
d
housing

So anyway..........as you can see Emily, we have good and bad ;) Yeah they have problems with housing. Thankfully for Joanne and M, you know their stories and can hopefully use it for your advantage, which is what I think both ladies were trying to do in their posts by letting you know what's available and how to approach housing! Hope you're having a great holiday.

25 Dec 2009
d
housing

So anyway..........as you can see Emily, we have good and bad ;) Yeah they have problems with housing. Thankfully for Joanne and M, you know their stories and can hopefully use it for your advantage, which is what I think both ladies were trying to do in their posts by letting you know what's available and how to approach housing! Hope you're having a great holiday.

26 Dec 2009
Emily
how do I know?

:)

How do I find out what we are entitled to, other than just to say that we should get a three bedroom?

26 Dec 2009
Lori
something else to bring

You might want to consider magnetic curtain rods. That way you can put the curtains right on the doors or windows, which are metal. Otherwise you will have to buy longer curtains, since the rods installed in housing can be 2' or higher above where the window even starts. Check Big Lots if you have one or Walmart, which is where I found them years ago.

26 Dec 2009
Darlene
Living in Naples

Emily,

Please come over here with no preconceived notions of what a base or new duty station should be. Be completely open minded and take everything in stride. You will find that Naples is not like anywhere else in the world. It has its own rules which seem to change weekly. I have lived here 3 years and I love it, with that said, there is a culture shock period many spouses go through, but we all here to help each other.

For housing questions, please feel free to email me and I can share what I know. I have lived in the old units and the new and can give you the plus on both. We will still be here for another year and a half. I hope I can help in anyway.

ciao,

Darlene

26 Dec 2009
L.
about pictures of apartments

Emily,

My husband and I have recently moved in to a two bedroom apartment on the support site. I also took photo's of the apartment when we got in. If you would like to see what our apartment looks like i would be more than happy to share the photos. I have been in others apartments that are occupied by co-workers and their "homes" are about the same, maybe a slight different layout. N-E How, if you email me, i will email you back with those pictures. good luck with the move here.

ciao, Lara

01 Jan 2010
Cheryl
Emily here is my apartment

Emily,

I made this video for a couple of my friends that PCS'd here last summer, I will pass it on to you. Mine is a 4 bedroom but usually the square footage is the same as some of the 3 bedrooms but mine may have smaller bedrooms. We have 3 children and my husband is a Captain. I am saddened by some of the responses that you have got to such a simple question (or the arguments amongst each other) please feel free to contact me directly should you need any more information. All the best with the move.

Cheryl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJiDzq4qv4

01 Jan 2010
Cheryl
Emily here is my apartment

Emily,

I made this video for a couple of my friends that PCS'd here last summer, I will pass it on to you. Mine is a 4 bedroom but usually the square footage is the same as some of the 3 bedrooms but mine may have smaller bedrooms. We have 3 children and my husband is a Captain. I am saddened by some of the responses that you have got to such a simple question (or the arguments amongst each other) please feel free to contact me directly should you need any more information. All the best with the move.

Cheryl

01 Jan 2010
Cheryl
For you Emily

Emily,

I made this video for a couple of my friends that PCS'd here last summer, I will pass it on to you. Mine is a 4 bedroom but usually the square footage is the same as some of the 3 bedrooms but mine may have smaller bedrooms. We have 3 children and my husband is a Captain. I am saddened by some of the responses that you have got to such a simple question (or the arguments amongst each other) please feel free to contact me directly should you need any more information. FYI, get your curtains from Ikea here in Napoli, I paid 10 Euro for a pair, the prices vary based on what you are looking for, you can also shop the markets for these. All the best with the move.

Cheryl

01 Jan 2010
Lori
The good and the bad

I don't think there's anything wrong with honest opinions or relating real experiences we've had. I'd rather come here knowing the good and the bad and what could happen than with expectations that may not be accurate or having to deal with things that will make my move more stressful than it needs to be.

If you want to be sad about something, it should be the way Housing continues to treat some new people who don't know any better, telling them they "have" to take something they'd rather not, telling them there's nothing available or telling them that overnight they mysteriously went from next in line for a unit to 4th in line

01 Jan 2010
Emily
Cheryl

Thank you for posting your video!

Is it reasonable to buy outdoor furniture there? I am having a hard time finding it right now since it is so cold out!

02 Jan 2010
JoAnne
Emily

You can buy outdoor furniture here at the NEX, they actually have quite a nice selection come summer, you will also be able to look out in town. Since you will be living on base you will not need a large table as it will have to fit on your balcony. "Most" people not all have a table and 4 chairs (patio set) I have that size but have also added fold up chairs for the extra ppl we have had over. I have had up to 8 adults on my balcony. Cheryl and I have gone to IKEA and both bought curtains long enough to touch the floor. What you can't find on base you will be able to find out in town or even at a yard sale.

02 Jan 2010
Cheryl
Patio furniture

Emily, dont stress on buying patio furniture there unless you get a deal, you can buy at the NEX, I wouldn't say the prices are that of a bargain, it depends on what you are looking for. Joanne above got the basic round table and 4 chairs, it was great for the price and serves it purpose, the NEX does have a bad habit of carrying thigs on the expensive side. That being said, look on naplesallhands and someone will sell a set, get it fast.....

Glad my video helped, feel free to send me a private message or find me on FB cheryl thorpe ray and I will be more than happy to help you and answer any other questions that you may have.

03 Jan 2010
cole
Checking out the selection

Emily- check out the Navy Exchange online to get an idea of what you can get here on base and an idea on the price point. My suggestion is that you come prepared. I found it to be a bit more expensive and if you can get it cheap there or Craiglist it- then try to. Also-(just my experience on this senstive subject)- my husband and I are childless and were entitled to a 2 bedroom, but I wrote a letter requesting a larger unit prior to moving in pointing out the money they would save by keeping me on base instead of us moving out to town. I still have a copy of the letter that I used if you want it. It's obviously not a guarentee, but it worked for us.

05 Jan 2010
JoAnne
Emily

What Rank is your husband? I am only asking as that will give me and others an idea of what housing you will be entitled to. Cheryl's husband is an O6, she gets the good stuff LOL! Mine is an E7 and we are in about a 1400sq ft 3 bedroom apartment, Cheryl's is a little larger square footage but my rooms are bigger. I don't have the long closet in the hallway (wish I did, Cheryl did an awesome job putting shelf's in her's) Her bathroom (I think is a little bigger than my master bath, but my kids is pretty big) My bedrooms are really big. My bedroom has a king sized bed, bed side tables, dresser, set of drawers, TV stand with shelves either side and we have our computer and table in there also, with room to spare. My kids have full sized beds, desks, drawers and room to play. You are most welcome to come see it when you arrive. Like Cheryl I am on Face Book under Joanne Burch was Coates, Cheryl is on mine also, if you couldn't tell we have known each other for years. Good luck with the move and hope to see you when you get here.

05 Jan 2010
Emily
rank

Thank you all for trying to help. :) He is an E6 and we have two children. I may try to look on Craigslist but I am running out of time! The movers come Friday for our express shipment and then the rest will be gone next week!

06 Jan 2010
JoAnne
Emily

Hope you get here soon, there is an apartment in my building which is available,) I think you would love it :) Again, when you get here come over and look at it, it will at least give you an idea of one lay out and I am sure there are others here would allow you to see their apartments. Don't stress over patio stuff, there are so many yard sales come spring, the NEX usually has a good selection. Yes, some my be pricey but then I got mine for $100 and it's really nice, square glass table, 4 matching chairs and umberella. Granted, it may have been a one of thing but again they do have some deals. Also out in town they sell them and if you look here there are always things for sale. If you are on face book look me up joanne burch was coates. See you soon.

06 Jan 2010
JoAnne
Emily

Hope you get here soon, there is an apartment in my building which is available,) I think you would love it :) Again, when you get here come over and look at it, it will at least give you an idea of one lay out and I am sure there are others here would allow you to see their apartments. Don't stress over patio stuff, there are so many yard sales come spring, the NEX usually has a good selection. Yes, some my be pricey but then I got mine for $100 and it's really nice, square glass table, 4 matching chairs and umbrella. Granted, it may have been a one of thing but again they do have some deals. Also out in town they sell them and if you look here there are always things for sale. If you are on face book look me up Joanne Burch was Coates. See you soon.

10 Feb 2010
William
Looking for Apartment pics

My wife and I are looking into a 2 bedroom apartment and we can't seem to find anyone with pics. Are we allowed to post our e-mail address on here? I'm currently deployed on a ship and I can't access youtube. Thanks. Much appreciated.