follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Travel & Tourism » Advice needed for trip to Edelweiss
17 Nov 2009
Melissa
Advice needed for trip to Edelweiss

My family and I are planning a trip to Edelweiss. We are thinking of driving, and I was hoping someone who has taken this trip could provide some information...

Miles?

Time?

Toll Costs?

Anything else I need to know?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone has flown, how far is the airport from the hotel? Were you able to get a rental care?

THANKS!!!

17 Nov 2009
M.
More than 100 messages post
Edelweiss

We drove there 3 times. I couldn't tell you how many miles exactly, but I believe it took us about 8 hours with a couple of stops if I'm not mistaken. All in all it really didn't seem that long. A good website you can go to is www.viamichelin.com. One thing you need to know is that you will need to buy the Vignette in Austria, which is a sticker for the road tax. I'm not sure how long you'll be staying there for, but they have a few options for the duration of this vignette. The nearest airport is in Munich, but I've never flown there. I know people who have flown and rented cars there, so I know it is possible, but I can't give you any specifics. If you drive or rent a car, as long as the servicemember is present and has his/her leave orders and vehicle documentation/rental agreement, you are entitled to 200 liters of gas in the form of a gas card. This is VERY different from the gas coupons and could get some getting used to. Make sure you understand how it works when you get it. When are you guys going? It is a GORGEOUS place and you're going to love it. :)

17 Nov 2009
Lori
Edelweiss

Most people I've known who drove left around 5 am and got there around 3 pm. As far as flying, check with the carriers. It seems the cheaper airlines stop flying into Munich during the winter. If that's the case, Stuttgart would be your airport, and it's about a 3 hour drive to Garmisch, providing there's no snow or ice or traffic. If you do fly into Munich, again, with perfect conditions it's about a 1 hour drive. Rental cars are available from either airport. We usually go with whoever contributes to our frequent flier miles. Have fun!

18 Nov 2009
vrony
Vignette

The 10 Day Vignette in Austria is about 7.50Euro! Make sure you buy it BEFORE you cross the border!

18 Nov 2009
Lori
Vignette

If you take the main road out of Garmisch to go to Austria, there is a petrol station practically sitting on the border where you can buy them. You don't need one if the only driving in Austria you'll be doing is the several minutes you go through it on your way to Neuschwanstein Castle, though

18 Nov 2009
M.
Vignette

You can buy the vignette in Italy as well at the last gas station before you cross the border. You will need it if driving from Italy, as you will be on a toll-road.

18 Nov 2009
vrony
Vignette

You will need the Vignette no matter if you're only in Austria a few km or a lot! There is always Police checking for the Stickers and high fines if you don't have one!

18 Nov 2009
M.
Vignette

Actually I believe the vignette is for the toll-roads/highways only (if I'm not mistaken). The country routes should be exempt. However, driving from Italy you have to go through a major highway, which means you will need to have a vignette. And yes, the fines are HEFTY and I've heard that, no matter what the sob story might be, they do not let anyone off the hook. It's not that expensive, so my advice is to definitely buy it. :)

19 Nov 2009
Lori
vignette

Check with the Edelweiss. They've always told us that it's like an unspoken agreement that the small road that gets you to the castles doesn't require the vignette because you only cross over a couple of miles and back through. We've driven there twice (not on a highway, just the little 2 lane road from Garmisch to Fussen), the last time this past February and never had any problem. We've always flown into Munich or Stuttgart, so our experience has only been the trips to the castles and the time we DID get a vignette because we drove to Innsbruck.

19 Nov 2009
vrony
Vignette

Yes, she will need it.

My Dad lives about 15Mins from the Austrian Border in Germany and he (Truck driver) gets to hear lots of storys about it.

One Truckdriver thought he could just buy the Vignette at the first Austrian Gasstaion (20km from the last german Gasstation) and they stopped him and he had to pay about 200Euros for not having it!

:-)

19 Nov 2009
Melissa
Other advice for Edelweiss

Thank you all for your help. If you happen to hear about the toll costs or the mileage, I would greatly appreciate that info as well.

We will probably drive if it only takes ten hours like we thought.

19 Nov 2009
Rick
ITT Office

I just recently went to the ITT office on Capo to ask the same question. It is about a 620 Mile drive one way and 60 Euro for tolls. If you drive straight threw it should take between 8-9 hours. Hope that helps.

19 Nov 2009
Melissa
Thanks Rick!

That's a big help. Trying to figure out how many gas coupons to save and how much tylenol to pack (traveling with three kids!), haha.

22 Nov 2009
M.
What about train?

What about a train ride to Munich/Garmisch? A day time train ride might not be as expensive as a flight. Just thought I'd provide another option.

Good luck!

22 Nov 2009
M.
Train info

I looked up the prices for the train rides and I was able to find some as low as 94 euro. With those, however, your son would need to change 3 or more trains if I am not mistaken. The minimum is two trains if I remember correctly, and I believe those run around 130-140 euro.

I wish you the best! Please, keep us posted! :)

22 Nov 2009
M.
Florence

Florence is a long way for you guys to have to drive back...:( I totally agree about train stations, definitely not the safest place. However, there is a train leaving Firenze Santa Maria Novella (the main train station in Florence) at 2153 and arriving in Munich at 0630 with no changes. If he were to get just a regular seat (not in a sleeping car) the cost would be only 89 euro. If the person giving him a ride could make sure he gets on the train, he should be alright all the way to Munich. If you could find someone going to Vicenza, that would be even better, there is a direct train even during the day. Fingers crossed for you! :)

22 Nov 2009
M.
Another idea

What about trying to fly your son Space A to Aviano? That would make much more feasible for you to drive back to pick him up or to have him take a train or fly to Munich. Not sure what the Space A routes are from Rota, but I just thought I would throw the Aviano option in there.

30 Jul 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post
Re: Advice needed for trip to Edelweiss

HI, we are headed to Edelweiss for a week in August. Other than the castle and cable car ride, I'd like to hear from others as to their favorite things to do there. We have 5 days and I'd like to do some planning ahead of time!

Thank you!

30 Jul 2010
ABE
Re: Advice needed for trip to Edelweiss

Be aware that the cable car ride/train ride is kind of costly. For 2 adults and a child above 6, it was E103.00   It was fun, though. I would strongly suggest wearing hiking boots, as you can climb out and have your pic taken at the top. Also, there is a place at stop #1 that you can slide down on the snow for free. (Good footwear would have had me doing a lot more of it!) You may be able to buy your tickets through them at a better rate or get a group together and get a discount??? I think someone told me that their (adult) ticket was $58.00  There are hiking trails on the mountains. Be aware that when you get to the top, you should secure your ticket to go down THEN. We didn't know it and would have had to wait 3 hours in order to get down on the train, so we went down the trolley instead, which wasn't as fun for the kids.    

Use their sheets as guides, but you can do most of the trips on your own for much cheaper. There's also a couple of things that they advertise, like the frozen caveman tour, that you could do on your way there or your way back. That one was pretty pricey, too, but if you're into that kind of stuff...

There are parasailing classes that they offer as well through Alpine Adventures. The class takes 4 days to complete. They offer lots of other classes as well.

Kids Night Out is for ages 5-12 and costs 30 or 50 bucks. I don't remember b/c we didn't do it. They also offer a class in the daytime. Meal is included.

I wouldn't recommend your attending the Passion Play, as it is 6 hours long, and completely in German. (Of course.) They give a new spin on it by making Judas out to be a sympathetic character who is more like a victim of circumstance. The town, however, is just way too cute to not visit! 

Hope this info helps. If you'd like to connect with us, we just got back a few weeks ago and have their brochures, etc. We're at 629-5777

Angela