follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » PCS to Naples with pets advice needed
19 Jun 2012
Kendra
PCS to Naples with pets advice needed

We are flying through United from NJ to Naples and have a planned stop in Germany. I've been told United will not transfer our pets to the connecting flight and I will have to make my own arrangements. I believe its due to the size of the plane for the connection, but what should we do. Last time I called the pet reservations desk they weren't at all helpful.
We already have a plan for if we cannot take most of our pets ... we have a bearded dragon 2 ferrets and a cat. I have checked and I will have to send the beardie through Delta Cargo, and as for the ferrets the unhelpful desk person said that I would have to take it up with TSA so it might be ok with United but not security??? So whatever that means! and if all goes right we get them to Germany and then what!!! :( united just leaves them there? I just keep seeing this horrible scene of my pets being left in Germany. 

25 Jun 2012
Kendra
Re: PCS to Naples with pets advice needed

so reality set in and im not taking them all. I cant bare to even speak about parting with the cat. so ive contacted several places to get a quote. the airlines will not at all transfer pets between airlines. good to know...too bad.

03 Jul 2012
Cameron

I hope this helps you a little, I was posted to Naples in August 2011 and brought my dog with me. I mention this because he is the same size as your cat. (Minpin, 12 lbs)I bought a soft pet carrier and took him on the airline with me.  I put him under my seat. When going through Germany they let me go outside with him so he could do his business and then I did the same on the connector.Be aware that if you travel through Rome on a weekend and you put the pets in cargo you will not be able to get them until Monday morning.If you travel through the UK they will quarentine your pets for up to 3 months.

05 Jul 2012
nicolle

Someone on this site might be able to help you with more information. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/289360867829689/

22 Aug 2012
Kendra

Thanks for the advice we used a cargo service. He got here safely a little frazzled but safe. I'm glad we did it this way the flight from newark was delayed over an hour because of a storm, and we almost missed our connecting flight. I rested easy knowing his flight was direct.