follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » PCS out with Dog
21 Feb 2012
DandH
PCS out with Dog

We are PCSing from Naples in March. Sato has made the plane reservations for us and because of the size of our dog we need to fly out of Rome. We were told to call the airline and make sure that they have the reservation for our dog. When we called we are being told that he can not fly on the plane with us. The airline (United) is saying that we have to fly him Cargo on a whole different plane. Has anyone had this problem? When we brought our dog over he flew on the flight with us and was put in the baggage area. I'm not understanding why it is so hard to take him back to the US. Leaving him here is not an option. We have had our dog for 8 years. I'm wondering if this is the reason so many pets are being left behind. Does anyone have any information on help that we can get from a third person to send our dog back to the US? I am very worried that we are going to get to the airport and they won't let him on the plane, eventhough they gave us a confirmation.There used to be a post on here with information for a shipping person in Naples, and now I can't seem to find it. Any help would be great.Thanks you.

21 Feb 2012
Jon & Kate
Re: PCS out with Dog

The vet office on base has his info and from what I understand he is very reputable. He will transport and ship your pet and will give you up to date tracking info until he lands safely. I am like you, I would NEVER leave my pet here! I would fly separately with her and pay my own way if I had to!

22 Feb 2012
DandH

Thanks for the information. I was thinking the same thing about flying with him separate and just paying my own way. We were just told by Sato that the airline should let him on since we have a confirmation number but I still have that fear of being at the airport and them saying no. I think I will get the info from the vet for a just in case situation. It should not be this hard to take our furry family members home with us. Now for the fight with the TLA. The front desk said we are reserved for a pet room but not guaranteed. Told us to check with them 48 hours before we check in. That is pure craziness. If we have to leave him with the kennel we use we will have to pick him up at 0300 just to get to the airport on time. Too bad the  folks at the TLA can't get their stuff together.

23 Feb 2012
Clara

United has just changed thier policy:http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/02/military-united-gives-break-to-pet-owners-on-pcs-moves-022212w/
Pets now can fly on the plane with the owner, but only for military.  

24 Feb 2012
DandH

Thanks, Clara. That is fantasic news!! The airline had mentioned the merger and plans to change the policy. I guess they weren't listening when my husband said we were PCSing back tot he US.

22 May 2012
Cyndi
Re: Back to the USA with my Dog

Please if anyone can help me I am having a hard time returning to the states with my dog. I may be there several months but not PCS at this time my problem is I made reservations only after to find out the dog cannot go with me .there is an embargo for dogs from june 15 - sept 15 and then afterwards they have to fit in the cabin under a seat( guess I should have fed him less). I have no intention of leaving my dog in this place ..so if anyone has information PLEASE HELP ..after calling Delta they say take him to Rome as cargo no problem I call Rome they say oh no we don't offer that service to individuals just companies so I have to hire a broker this is such crap...I now know why these poor animals get left behind here.. there is no help ...I have already purchased my ticket so I have to go, but I don't want to leave my dog if anyone is PCSing to Norfolk and he can fly mac I will be glad to pay you to take him to Norfolk where I will be waiting ....I am in desprate need of advise.............Many Thanks

23 May 2012
Jon & Kate

Check the vet office on base. There is a company that will ship your pet for you. I heard the gentleman is very nice and will keep you updated on the status of your dog when he flys. That's strange they won't fly the dog in cargo....we flew in January with no problems. Everything is temp controlled now, so especially in the winter months there should be no issues.

24 May 2012
Marilyn

I have 2 dogs and couldn't get them on a MAC until Aug. SO, I called Delta and they referred me to the 3rd party, again yes I do have to pay a hefty price but it's much less than I expected. They will go cargo, but also try UNITED & LUFTHANSIA. Keep in mind that if your pet has more than 1 stop you may have to pay for each leg.

09 Oct 2012
Leslie
Has taken a 3rd pet using the Space A for Pets?

We PCS out Nov. 30th and as luck would have it, we rescued a kitten a month ago.  While we've tried to find her a home, the economy is flooded with kittens at the moment and prospects look dim. If I can't find a suitable home, I'll try to bring her back to the states.  Has anyone taken a 3rd pet using the "Space A" for pets?