follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » help on PCS'ing to Naples with a dog
29 Jul 2011
Jose
help on PCS'ing to Naples with a dog

Hello folks, I'm PCSing to Naples in 2 months and trying to figure out what's required to bring Daphne, our 12 year old, "Treeing Walker Coon Hound" to Italy.  Is there any gouge the Naples all hands community can send my way?  Thanks.

Click to enlarge
Daphne counter surfing
29 Jul 2011
mary
Re: help on PCS'ing to Naples with a dog

You need current shots and a pet passport from your vet within 60 days of travel.  Make sure they have your dog on your flight!  We had our dog at the airport in the approved kennel, and SATO forgot to put her on the flight.  Also, make sure there is a pet friendly TLA room available when you get here.  They fill up fast.

30 Jul 2011
Angela
More than 50 messages post

From the states, its not a pet passport (pet passport is EU), but a bilingual health certificate that is needed. ISO compatibale microchip must be inserted BEFORE rabies shot is given. While Home again does make a ISO compatibile chip, not all EU scanners can read this chip. So make sure you are know what chip you want to use.

All info can be found here:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/animal_italy.shtml

bilingual health certificate is a PDF from this site.

31 Jul 2011
Jose

Thanks Mary and Angela.  Thats helps a lot!

31 Jul 2011
andi

We did not need to get the pet passport for our dogs to fly over. This was also over 2 years ago. The iso chip before rabies is correct. The rabies shot cannot be under 30 days of flying tho.

31 Jul 2011
Thomas

Be sure to tell the Vet that you need a Health Certificate for taking the pet overseas.  I had to produce an international certificate. 

09 Sep 2011
Mamie

We just moved 3 weeks ago with our dog.This was a huge issue......Best advice!!!

• FRIST THIS TAKES THE MOST TIME.Make sure you have ISO Microchip.You must get a EURO microchip then have a rabies shot.Your dog cannot fly without this.And the rabies shot must be given for safty sake 30 days before you fly  I heard 20 but I love my dog and would not risk it!! IT does not matter when the last rabies shot was givin you MUST get one after your ISO Microchip I got my microchip at the airforce base near my home..My vet did not have one and would had to order it.That took 2 weeks to order.
  • You need a bilingual health certificate  this must be no more then 30 days old before you fly.This is for customs in Italy.This also will have to be sent to the USDA office for your state.To get stamped.MS charged me $35.00 for this stamp.My vet told me how to do this.I printed this certificate out at home and took it to my vet.
  • You also need a health certificate from your vet that I also had USDA stamped I sent this paper work along with the bilingual health certificate there was no extra charge for this to be stamped.The 35.00 coverd both.This also needs to be no more then 30 days old .This is not a form that you can print out only the vets have this form. This was used to fly her out of the country.We flyed UNITED air.
  • Get on your airplanes company website to make sure what there regulations are for pet carriers along with boarding ect.
  • SATO did mess up our flight with the dog ! ! ! Only sato can fix the mistakes.
  • Make sure the dog is on the flgiht iterny of the active duty military member.

I got alot of bad info about my dog.The CNIC website sucked!!!!.This is all the correct info as of 3 weeks ago flying UNITED.

GOOD LUCK

Mamie