follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » Book Club
20 Jul 2011
Leah
Book Club

Hi, my names Leah and I'm a dependant living in Licola. When I was in the states I was always apart of a book club of sorts and I was thinking that it might be fun to start one here. Once a month we could all meet up to discuss a chosen book and maybe drink wine. I like wine. I tried posting on the ads page but didnt' get any responses. If you'de like to join, email me at leah.rapp@gmail.com

Thanks
Leah

03 Sep 2011
Jaime
Re: Book Club

Not a huge reader and no time for a book clube, but....here are some books that I read that give a different perspective on living in Italy, Campania, bella Napoli. Kindle version not available.

Gomorrah: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organized Crime System . 
Of course everybody reads this book.  I don't have to explain it. Ok, read, interesting at times. 

Passion on the Vine: A Memoir of Food, Wine, and Family in the Heart of Italy, Sergio Esposito, Kindle version available.  I really liked this book. You have driven through the places he talks about. You have seen the hills and you will get a good insight on the Italian mind from an Italian. 

As a young child in Naples, Italy, Sergio Esposito sat at his kitchen table observing the daily ritual of his large, loud family bonding over fresh local dishes and simple country wines. While devouring the rich bufala mozzarella, still sopping with milk and salt, and the platters of fresh prosciutto, sliced so thin he could see through it, he absorbed the profound relationship of food, wine, and family in Italian culture. Gr
owing up in Albany, New York, after emigrating there with his family, he always sat next to his uncle Aldo and sipped from his wineglass during their customary hours-long extended family feasts. Thus, from a very early age, Esposito came to associate wine with the warmth of family, the tastes of his mother’s cooking—and, above all, memories of his former life in Italy. When he was in his twenties, he headed for New York and undertook a career in wine, beginning a journey that would culminate in his founding of Italian Wine Merchants, now the leading Italian wine source in America. His career offered him the opportunity to make frequent trips back to Italy to find wine for his clients, to learn the traditions of Italian winemaking, and, in so doing, to rediscover the Italian way of life he’d left behind.Passion on the Vine is Esposito’s intimate and evocative 

03 Sep 2011
Jaime

lastly is "The Venus Fixers" Ilaria Brey.  No kindle version.  

Great WWII history book that will make your drives through the Italian country much more interesting.  You will see the places where great art was before the war and read about the efforts made by the Italian and American armies to save it.  Excellent.  

From Amazon
In 1943, while the world was convulsed by war, a few visionaries—in the private sector and in the military—committed to protect Europe's cultural heritage from the indiscriminate ravages of battle.

And so the Allies appointed the Monuments Officers, a motley group of art historians, curators, architects, and artists, to ensure that the masterpieces of European art and architecture were not looted or bombed into oblivion. Often working as shellfire exploded around them, the Monuments Officers of Italy shored up tottering palaces and cathedrals, safeguarded Michelangelos and Giottos, and even blocked a Nazi convoy of stolen paintings bound for Göring's birthday celebration. Sometimes they failed. But to an astonishing degree they succeeded, and their story is an unparalleled adventure with the gorgeous tints of a Botticelli as its backdrop.

03 Sep 2011
NOSC

The Naples Overseas Spouses' Club (NOSC) formed a book club that will meet every 6 weeks.  The first book to be read is Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.  Book club gatherings are informal potlucks with discussion at a NOSC member's home (rotate to a different host every six weeks).  Some will be on base and some will be off base.

Next gathering is September 22 at 17:30 in Building 2153, Apt. 10 on Support Site.  To ask questions or rsvp to attend, please email Kristy at noscbookclub2011@gmail.com.

For more information about getting involved with NOSC, email noscmembership@gmail.com or visit our facebook page.  Everyone is welcome!