follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » Question for those living in base housing re elect...
18 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife
Question for those living in base housing re electrical appliances

I'm told that the apartments on base have both 110 and 220 volt electricity however wondering if you can use US electrical appliances that heat (eg. toaster, crockpot, breadmaker etc) in the 110 outlets as the hertz may still be different?

19 Jul 2011
Alisha
Re: Question for those living in base housing re electrical appliances

We use our crockpot, breadmaker, and toaster all the time and have no problems.

19 Jul 2011
Mary Jane

You're right, even though the voltage in on-base housing has both 220 and 110 available, the 110 is 50 Hz instead of the 60 Hz we have in the States.  For the most part you won't notice any difference.  We had to buy a pair of 220v hair trimmers because the 110v ones makes a TON of noise at 50Hz.  I have heard that running US stuff at 50Hz will wear it out faster because it's simply not what it's made for, but I don't know if that's true or not.  All of our 110v appliances (in the kitchen/bath/office/bath/bedroom) seem to work fine.

Something similar to keep in mind though, the power here is much less reliable than in the States.  We loose power regularly for no apparent reason (just kicks off and on after about 3-5 seconds sometimes 5-6 times a day) and we have power surges much moreoften than in the States.  So if you have any sensitive electronic gear, you may want to invest in a good surge protectors.

Also, you have probably heard not to bother bringing any electric clocks (neither digital nor analog) because they won't keep time because of the 50Hz (use battery powered ones or just buy a clock here, but since th epower goes out all the time batteries are better anyway), and you have to use Italian light bulbs here. 

A dehumidifier is a really good thing to have here, whether in base housing or out in town. 

19 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife
Re: Re: Question for those living in base housing re electrical appliances

Cit. Alisha wrote:
We use our crockpot, breadmaker, and toaster all the time and have no problems.

Excellent!  Thanks a lot.

19 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife

Cit. Mary Jane wrote:

You're right, even though the voltage in on-base housing has both 220 and 110 available, the 110 is 50 Hz instead of the 60 Hz we have in the States.  For the most part you won't notice any difference.  We had to buy a pair of 220v hair trimmers because the 110v ones makes a TON of noise at 50Hz.  I have heard that running US stuff at 50Hz will wear it out faster because it's simply not what it's made for, but I don't know if that's true or not.  All of our 110v appliances (in the kitchen/bath/office/bath/bedroom) seem to work fine.

Something similar to keep in mind though, the power here is much less reliable than in the States.  We loose power regularly for no apparent reason (just kicks off and on after about 3-5 seconds sometimes 5-6 times a day) and we have power surges much moreoften than in the States.  So if you have any sensitive electronic gear, you may want to invest in a good surge protectors.

Also, you have probably heard not to bother bringing any electric clocks (neither digital nor analog) because they won't keep time because of the 50Hz (use battery powered ones or just buy a clock here, but since th epower goes out all the time batteries are better anyway), and you have to use Italian light bulbs here. 

A dehumidifier is a really good thing to have here, whether in base housing or out in town. 

Mary Jane, once again, you are a wealth of valuable information.  Thanks so much! 

I just got a beautiful digital clock/Ipod dock that doesn't operate on batteries so I'm bummed!  Good advice about the surge protectors.

25 Jul 2011
Melinda

We have had to replace our 110v blender (a bummer b/c it was a nice Breville), a toaster and have had to just put up with the noise the clippers make.  So, yes, there is a bit of a difference in the way some of your appliances will run.  Most everything else that is 110v has worked fine, though.  I wouldn't go out and buy all new 220v small appliances because of it.

28 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife

Cit. Melinda wrote:
We have had to replace our 110v blender (a bummer b/c it was a nice Breville), a toaster and have had to just put up with the noise the clippers make.  So, yes, there is a bit of a difference in the way some of your appliances will run.  Most everything else that is 110v has worked fine, though.  I wouldn't go out and buy all new 220v small appliances because of it.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of!  Thanks for the warning Melinda.