follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » Child Car Safety Seats in Italy
13 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife
Child Car Safety Seats in Italy

Just wondering if anybody knows the legal safety rules about kids and car seats in Italy.  I have read that kids up to age 12 need a type of booster seat yet I've heard the stories of toddlers on scooters and babies on laps in cars etc.  Anyone know for sure?

14 Jul 2011
Mary Jane
Re: Child Car Safety Seats in Italy

There ARE actually laws that infants and children need to be in car seats here in Italy, but nothing is enforced (at least not locally).  Yes, I have personally seen a family of 5 (with tweo very small children) riding on one scooter down the freeway. So, out in town, pretty much anything goes.  BUT, on base, the rules are the same as in the States, so your children are required to be properly seated and buckled in appropriate car seats any time on any of the bases.  Obviously, we want to keep our kids as safe as possible, but beyond that, I'm not sure too if your car insurance would somehow change how they process an injury claim if you, as an American, did not have your child properly restrained in an accident (and there are a lot of accidents here).  You don't seem to see a lot of accidents when you travel (I think we see more on US freeways), but if you talk to security, they say there are a lot more here.  And it doesn't take much to be seriously injured if not seatbelted in.  The motor vehicle folks do go over this during AO (area orientation) too.

14 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife

Thanks Mary Jane.  I guess I'm just wondering whether I'm supposed to be bringing a booster seat for my 10 year old (much to his disgust!) who obviously doesn't need one here in the States!

22 Jul 2011
John

So, it seems that it is very difficult to get a straight answer from anyone on carseat laws here in Italy.  When I arrived here with my then 5 and 8 year olds, I think I annoyed everyone in Security to get answers! :)  Anyway, I have looked everywhere for the official policy (which they finally sent me), but cannot find it.  I can tell you with confidence that your 10 year old is NOT required to have a carseat on base or by Italian law.  Hope that helps (and I do apologize for not providing the documentation).

22 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife
Re: Re: Child Car Safety Seats in Italy

Cit. John wrote:
So, it seems that it is very difficult to get a straight answer from anyone on carseat laws here in Italy.  When I arrived here with my then 5 and 8 year olds, I think I annoyed everyone in Security to get answers! :)  Anyway, I have looked everywhere for the official policy (which they finally sent me), but cannot find it.  I can tell you with confidence that your 10 year old is NOT required to have a carseat on base or by Italian law.  Hope that helps (and I do apologize for not providing the documentation).

Thanks John!  Really appreciate your info.  Helps on the packing side!!!