follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » AVERSA
27 Jun 2011
Hannah
AVERSA

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on Aversa. There is a possibility I will be moving there in August. I'm just wondering about the town in general, how big, what the traffic is like, shopping, entertainment? I will be with my 3 year old son so are there fun things for him to do?

Thanks for any info you can give me. Hannah :)

27 Jun 2011
David
More than 50 messages post
Re: AVERSA

Well the base is in Gricignano Di Aversa so not technically what most people like to refer as Aversa.  Aversa itself is split into north and south.  If you are looking at Aversa to stay close to the base I can understand, but your child is 3 and not in school.  He will be eventually, but I would recommend looking around a bit before settling on Aversa.  It has local mom and pop store shopping and crazy drivers and small streets.  There are a couple of malls within 10-15 minutes from there and vulcano buono 25 minutes away.  The parks in the area are not well maintained and the area in general can get trashy, but that is pretty much anything around the 30 km radius of Naples. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those Americans that hate the area, but I think you could do better.

28 Jun 2011
carmela

l lite tell you if aversa is nice becouse have nice store(1*week of the mount all store are open and have old mercatino)just you gare week-end off and have nice walk if you want more information you can call me#081-813 5309,carmen

28 Nov 2011
Kathryn

Hannah, 

Do you mean off-base in Aversa? I live in Gricignano d' Aversa, just over the bridge from base. I have lived here over a year and even though I don't have any kids (I have a dog) I would rather live on base. I speak Italian and have actually lived in Italy for four years prior to moving to Aversa (I lived in Casal Di Principe, which is no longer open to Anericans). At first it was great to have a little market on the corner and restaurants down the street, but you could still drive to all these places if you lived on base--- or in another town. There is a park within walking distance but it is trashy and Italian teenagers/young adults hang out there at night and throw cigarette buts and trash into the park. There are no sidewalks on side streets and on the main street sidewalk people park cars, the roads are small and drivers are crazy--I can't take my dog on a walk in my own neighborhood. I wouldn't recommend moving into Aversa, especially not with a small child who you will want to be able to take for walks and play outside with. Not to mention that the neighbors are nosy and constantly throwing trash through our gate or leaving nasty things in my husbands car (if he leaves it outside, which after all the change was stolen out of it he decided not to do anymore). 

I love Italy, I truly do. There is a lot of amazing stuff to do here, but I would hate for your opinion of Italy to be ruined solely because you decided to live in Aversa. If you have any further questions feel free to private message me. 

07 Feb 2012
marco

Hi hannah this is marco, i m italian If u need to know something, need Help or questions let me know i ll be happy to Help u.

08 Feb 2012
Erin

Aversa?  I wouldn't live their if you paid me.  As a matter of fact the only place off base in the "Naples" area I would live would be Possillipo and Vomero in Naples.  Other than that I'd live in Avellino or Benevento (30-45 minute toll road drive though).  These two sections are inner city and very hard to adjust to unless you are coming from living in NYC or Chicago, etc.  If you think you're coming to Under the Tuscan Sun . . . THINK AGAIN!  You can find it in Italy just not in the Naples or Caserta areas.I suggest you use Google street view and cruise around Aversa virtually before you rent there.Ciao,Erin15 year survivor

14 Feb 2012
jeffrey

I have to respond to the naive post of Erin as she is definitely a person who has a false sense of life in Bella Napoli.  Are you serious?  Under the Tuscan sun is just a typical Hollywood movie that is NOT HOW ITALY IS!!  Italy is a natural beauty and is one that is seen differently through ones eyes depending on how one embraces the culture, food, and atmosphere.  You seem to have exhausted your stay in Bella napoli..  One can only ask...  After 15 years why haven’t you taken your negativity elsewhere?  Napoli and Italy would be better off with out you.   Ciao Bella!!!

14 Feb 2012
David
More than 50 messages post

I can kind of see your point Jeff, but If you have been paying attention to the latest crime statistics, there has been a large spike in crimes in Aversa and associated Gricignano.  In the last three weeks alone I can count 10 vehicle smash and grabs, one vehicle theft, and passing of counterfeit money.  about three months ago a family in Gricignano had their puppy stolen out of their gated front yard right in front of them.  Point is that there are better places to live and Aversa/Gricignano would be one of my last choices if I did not have school aged kids.

15 Feb 2012
jeffrey

David I totally agree with you that Aversa is not a place to live.  I myself would never live there and thinks it’s an undesirable place.  I was only appalled at the comment that Napoli (other than Possillipo and vomero) was not a nice place to live,  This is NOT TRUE and there are many places in Napoli that are great to live.  I lived in Quarto for 8 years and never had any issues at all.  It is blanket false statements like Erin made that forces me to intervene and squash those type of ignorant stereo types.  I love Bella Napoli and miss being under the Napoli sun…

15 Feb 2012
Erin

I seem to have come off as some sort of ignorant, stereotype name calling bore.  Well, I do apologize for that but I have been to, lived in and visited just about all areas of Naples in my time here.  These are my impressions and opinions and I do not apologize for them.  I was not inferring that Italy was rotten. I was not even slamming the entire Campania Region, just the Naples and Caserta areas. The Amalfi Coast is beautiful. The Mountains around Avellino and Benevento are awesome. The Cilento region is great and the River Calore is unvelievable. My intention was to give this person who was considering Aversa as a home a dash of reality. And as ugly as that reality is and as much as it really hurts me to say this (half the family is Neapolitan), Naples and Caserta are lost causes.  They could be wonderful but they aren't.  There are many reasons as to why they aren't and why the Neapolitans don't do anything to change their diamond in the rough.  Corruption is deep, punishments weak and the threat of serious injury or death for trying to initiate change are all too real. OK, so, as far as Quality of Life, let's go through the Naples sections and see what we get not what COULD be:

Municipalità I:Chiaia, Posillipo, San Ferdinando  Not bad, upper middle class to upper class but still dirty and overcrowded.
Municipalità II:Avvocata, Montecalvario, Pendino, Porto, Mercato, San Giuseppe Contains the Spanish Quarter- a lovely, charming bit of nostalgia.  Oh, forgot to mention, filthty, and overcrowded and Camorra controlled.
Municipalità III:Stella, San Carlo all'Arena Ahh, another charming district known as Sanità
Municipalità IV:San Lorenzo, Vicaria, Poggioreale, Zona Industriale  Prison area and run down and dirty.  Lawless.
Municipalità V:Vomero, Arenella Middle class and acceptable but still dirty and overcrowded.
Municipalità VI:Ponticelli, Barra, San Giovanni a Teduccio Absolute Comorra controlled, dirty, overcrowded.
Municipalità VII:Miano, Secondigliano, San Pietro a Patierno See above
Municipalità VIII:Piscinola, Marianella, Scampia, Chiaiano See above
Municipalità IX:Soccavo, Pianura Dirty, overcrowded
Municipalità X: Bagnoli, Fuorigrotta Bagnoli has promise on the stretch towards Pozzuoli but Fuorigrotta is crowded and dirty . . . I seem to see a thread here (dirty, crowded, lawless).

As for Caserta and its areas out to the sea, I'll just say one thing Casale di Principe.  'Nuff said.  As for the why I have been here off and on for 15 years, work and family tend to steer our decisions for the most part.  However, as luck has it I will soon be taking my positivity and motivation for a better life to where millions have gone to find and achieve their dreams . . . from the most mundane to the most outrageous . . . the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.  I realize that all places on earth have their problems, I grew up all over the States and have lived and visited many countries.  I also realize that the USA is not perfect but it is the CLOSEST thing on Earth.  Best wishes to all who are stationed here for a safe and enjoyable tour.  My #1 Naples Rule: Treat your belongings like you actually want them or someone will relieve you of them. 

19 Feb 2012
jeffrey

Thanks Erin for taken the time to give us a professional brief of Bella Napoli and that obviously nowhere is good or clean to live. I am glad you apparently have it all figured out thus the reason why you must go because your mission in Bella Napoli is completeJ  I also noticed that during your research you did not mention anything about high murder rates, high child abuse rates, school shooting, serial killers,  and an endless supply of weirdo’s. .  This is what you will get when you arrive to your almost perfect place. I will trade dirt and theft for the above any day of the week!!! Good luck Bella you’ll need it!!!   

19 Feb 2012
Robert

You know it really just seems to me that a lot of people want to pick fights and slam people on these forums (i guess it just makes some people feel good about themselves?)  Someone asked for an opinion and it was given. Although I don't claim to be an expert of any sorts, i would have to agree with a lot of Erin's feelings. Lower Italy, although there are some nice areas, is in general as Erin described it. I even have a few Italian friends who agree with what Erin has said. In all honesty there will always be good and bad qualities to areas but it seems to me that there are a lot of people just wanting to pick fights and see who is the KING/QUEEN OF THE INTERNET. Give your opinion to what someone asked, and move on. So much drama on these forums it's actually quite hilarious/childish.

20 Feb 2012
WC

Hannah,Like others posting here, I have been here a few years (14), on and off, since 1982 and have never had any serious issues no matter where I lived (have lived everywhere from Bagnoli to Castelvolturno).  Take all of the above mentioned info with a grain of salt.  Naples is a great place, full of history, great food & people, and I still haven't run out of things to do.  I wish I could stay another 14 years!  Don't let the opinions of others affect your opinion before you get here, keep an open mind, use common sense, and you'll do fine.I'm not looking to start anything with anyone here, just don't want people bummed out before they get on the plane.