follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » Current Base Housing Status?
23 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife
Current Base Housing Status?

We will be arriving in Naples at the end of August.  Just wondering if anybody knows the current housing status?  Is there a currently a waiting list for base housing - both on the support site and the parcos?

23 Jun 2011
David
More than 50 messages post
Re: Current Base Housing Status?

Well, I do not know the percentage of vacancy, but I am sure your chances are good for getting housing on base if you want it.  The manditory, or direct assignment, to housing was lifted a several months ago.  That being said more people have been leaving than coming to housing.  As of now there are three families in our building quad that have moved out and the units remain vacant.  I hope this helps.

23 Jun 2011
Robert

Depending on your family size for me it was very easy. My wife will be moving here in about 2 weeks so i went to housing when it was about 3 weeks out and I went on a thursday, I got the keys on the following monday for a 2 bedroom apartment. The less things you need from them (loaner furniture, stuff like that) the faster your move in seems to be. As far as I know there isn't a shortage of apartments, I'm already moved in and everything. The people at the housing center will help you out and they are very kind. Hope this helps!

23 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Thanks guys, that really does help. 

I had read somewhere recently that there was a long waiting list so glad that's not the case.  My dream is not really to live on base but because I have two young boys, and husband will probably travel a lot, I'm a bit nervous to live out in town from the stories I have heard.

Fingers crossed there'll still be vacancies at the end of August.

23 Jun 2011
Mary Jane

Summer is PCS season, so there's constantly folks moving in and out.  It's hard to know exactly what the situation will be come Aug, but I know some folks right now that have gotten into their units on base within 2 weeks of arrival.  My biggest piece of advice would be to be ready for everything to take 5x longer and be 5x more conveluted than it should be when you arrive and start your housing process (whether you choose to live on base or in town).  Things here just don't get done in an expedient fashion like they do in the States.  If you come knowing and expecting that, it will make the whole process a lot easier and will drive you less crazy.

We lived in town when we first got here 2 years ago (because everyone was required to live on base and there was nothing available for 7 months) and now we live on base (when something opened up on base, we moved).  We never had any problems in town (we were never broken into), but I felt like I was living in a cave because we had to keep our security gates closed on the windows all the time (this never bothered my husband because he was never home) and I was always nervous that something would happen.  Also, the kids only had an alley-way to play in.  On base is apartment-style living with 6 or 12 families per unit.  But I love that I can have my windows open all the time and there is plenty of open green space and parks for the kids (mine are 6 and 2 with another on the way).  We've found that the layout of the apartments on base actually provides us more living space than our house in town did (even though it's half the size) because it's all on a single floor and open instead of little spaces on 4 floors.  We also found with the kids that we were on base everyday anways.  I like that we can walk everywhere we need to go (school, store, hospital). I can go into town and "experience Italy" any time I want to, but I like being able to relax in my own home. 

23 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife
Re: Re: Current Base Housing Status?

Cit. Mary Jane wrote:

Summer is PCS season, so there's constantly folks moving in and out.  It's hard to know exactly what the situation will be come Aug, but I know some folks right now that have gotten into their units on base within 2 weeks of arrival.  My biggest piece of advice would be to be ready for everything to take 5x longer and be 5x more conveluted than it should be when you arrive and start your housing process (whether you choose to live on base or in town).  Things here just don't get done in an expedient fashion like they do in the States.  If you come knowing and expecting that, it will make the whole process a lot easier and will drive you less crazy.

We lived in town when we first got here 2 years ago (because everyone was required to live on base and there was nothing available for 7 months) and now we live on base (when something opened up on base, we moved).  We never had any problems in town (we were never broken into), but I felt like I was living in a cave because we had to keep our security gates closed on the windows all the time (this never bothered my husband because he was never home) and I was always nervous that something would happen.  Also, the kids only had an alley-way to play in.  On base is apartment-style living with 6 or 12 families per unit.  But I love that I can have my windows open all the time and there is plenty of open green space and parks for the kids (mine are 6 and 2 with another on the way).  We've found that the layout of the apartments on base actually provides us more living space than our house in town did (even though it's half the size) because it's all on a single floor and open instead of little spaces on 4 floors.  We also found with the kids that we were on base everyday anways.  I like that we can walk everywhere we need to go (school, store, hospital). I can go into town and "experience Italy" any time I want to, but I like being able to relax in my own home. 

Thanks again Mary Jane, great advice!  You're obviously a regular on here...perhaps I should just email you directly with all my questions...lol!

I couldn't agree more with your logic for living on base and although it'll be tough for us to downsize to an apartment (we have been spoilt here in CA with a 4 bed/3.5 bath house on base), I think security and convenience are going to be much more important.

Thanks for the heads up about "siesta" time, I had heard about that so we'll be arriving with an open mind.

24 Jun 2011
Melissa

We are a family that was in base housing and then when direct assignment was lifted we moved.

I understand when you say you are worried because of the "stories that you have heard".  When we moved to Italy almost everyone on base had something to say about how horrible it was to live off base- (most of these people never lived off base).

I finally couldn't take the neigbors complaining anymore about the noise or trying to keep the children quiet at all hours of the DAY!  So when direct assignment was lifted we moved.

We have been off base since January and it is WONDERFUL!  I have a lovely home, the kids can play whenever they want- I have fields for the kids and animals to play in.  My landlord bends over backwords to keep us happy.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes- my shutters are closed and locked each night (this takes 10 minutes out of my time) and I open them up again each morning.  But between my alarm system the locks and the private security company (that the landlord pays for) I feel completely safe!

Do people get broken into? Yes Do cars get broken into? Yes.  But if you choose the right location and you are mindful about your security then you will be fine.

There are pros and cons of both on base and off base environments and only you know what is best for you and your family.  I can tell you that I was suffocating in base housing and I did not even begin to relax and enjoy it here until we moved out of that environment.

When you arrive just look at what is available both on and off base, take your time, relax and you will make the right decision for your family.   But as was previously mentioned in another post- be prepared for things to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r!

Good luck and have a happy, safe move:) 

27 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Cit. Melissa wrote:

We are a family that was in base housing and then when direct assignment was lifted we moved.

I understand when you say you are worried because of the "stories that you have heard".  When we moved to Italy almost everyone on base had something to say about how horrible it was to live off base- (most of these people never lived off base).

I finally couldn't take the neigbors complaining anymore about the noise or trying to keep the children quiet at all hours of the DAY!  So when direct assignment was lifted we moved.

We have been off base since January and it is WONDERFUL!  I have a lovely home, the kids can play whenever they want- I have fields for the kids and animals to play in.  My landlord bends over backwords to keep us happy.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes- my shutters are closed and locked each night (this takes 10 minutes out of my time) and I open them up again each morning.  But between my alarm system the locks and the private security company (that the landlord pays for) I feel completely safe!

Do people get broken into? Yes Do cars get broken into? Yes.  But if you choose the right location and you are mindful about your security then you will be fine.

There are pros and cons of both on base and off base environments and only you know what is best for you and your family.  I can tell you that I was suffocating in base housing and I did not even begin to relax and enjoy it here until we moved out of that environment.

When you arrive just look at what is available both on and off base, take your time, relax and you will make the right decision for your family.   But as was previously mentioned in another post- be prepared for things to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r!

Good luck and have a happy, safe move:) 

Thanks Melissa.  Yes, I think you're so right...if I could find that perfect place out in town, I would have no hesitation in living off base.  I'm happy for you that you got so lucky.  Any of your neighbors moving out soon???  lol  What suburb are you living in??? 

My husband is a pretty loud guy and loves his space between him and his neighbors so I really can't imagine how he will adapt living in an apartment.

27 Jun 2011
Concerned

We have lived on base for approx. 1 year and 4 months and these apartments are really small. We have a 4 bedroom and we will be moving out in town in about 25 days. Everything Melissa has said is so very true. Melissa gave some really good advice. When you get here you will hear all kids of stories and it is true most of the people who start those rumors NEVER get off base. We found a very beautiful house and a wonderful landlord. The area we will be living in everyone is so very nice and willing to help. When they see us coming into the neighborhood they all wave and greet us.  Our realtor and his wife were helpful and found us a home that fits our family perfectly. We are a family of 7 (5 kids & me and my husband). If you would like our Realtors name and number I would be more than willing to give it to you. They are both British-Italians and he works for Nato Housing. If you have anymore questions I would be more than happy to help.

28 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Cit. Concerned wrote:
We have lived on base for approx. 1 year and 4 months and these apartments are really small. We have a 4 bedroom and we will be moving out in town in about 25 days. Everything Melissa has said is so very true. Melissa gave some really good advice. When you get here you will hear all kids of stories and it is true most of the people who start those rumors NEVER get off base. We found a very beautiful house and a wonderful landlord. The area we will be living in everyone is so very nice and willing to help. When they see us coming into the neighborhood they all wave and greet us.  Our realtor and his wife were helpful and found us a home that fits our family perfectly. We are a family of 7 (5 kids & me and my husband). If you would like our Realtors name and number I would be more than willing to give it to you. They are both British-Italians and he works for Nato Housing. If you have anymore questions I would be more than happy to help.

Interesting!  Thanks for your post Concerned. What suburb are you going to be moving to?  Did your Realtor work with the Navy Housing Office?  Are your kids going to school on base, and if so, does the school bus come to your area?

I really like the sound of Monte Di Procida but having kids who will attend the DOD school make it unrealistic to live so far away.  I hear Pozzouli seems to be a popular place to live too. 

29 Jun 2011
Concerned

Yes, our realtor work with the Navy Housing on any issues that need(s) to be taken care of.  Our son (17) and our daughter (14) will be taking a bus to school everyday.  There is some areas that buses do not go to, but you can always talk to the school and see if you can get a bus to that area. The buses are for children K-12. We will be living in Baia Verde area. Very nice and very safe there.

29 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Where is the Baia Verde area?  I couldn't find it on the map.  How far is it from the SS?

2. Obsidious 10 up, 1 down

obsidious adjective. rare. from Latin obsidium siege, from obsidere: see OBSESS, -IOUS. Besieging; besetting, siege like, besiege, unrelenting, attempt to overpower, an extensive period of misery.

With his relentless obsidious nature, he would not let up until he conquered all before him.

The misery he endured was truly obsidious.

29 Jun 2011
Concerned

It is located close to Castle Volturno area. It is very nice and safe. I know of 2 house that our so beautiful that are currently available in that area. It is a 5 minute walk to the beach and they are private beaches that you pay a couple of euro to get into so they are very clean. One of the houses is 3 bedrooms and 2 baths (the house is a duplex and the landlord has his summer/beach home next door and the other is 3 1/2 bedrooms, 2 full baths (1 has a garden tub), 2 fireplaces (1 is in the kitchen), the kitchen is really big with very nice cabinets,  a basement/garage and a very big garden (yard). This house is a villa that stands alone but in a gated Parco area. It takes us 12-15 mintues to get to the SS. What Battalion is your husband in? we have alot of friends in 11, 1 and we know several that are stationed in CA. (not sure what Battalion there). Let me know if I can help you with anything else that you need to know. I will be more than happy to help. :)

30 Jun 2011
marco

Cit. Seabee Wife wrote:
Where is the Baia Verde area?  I couldn't find it on the map.  How far is it from the SS?

obsidious adjective. rare. from Latin obsidium siege, from obsidere: see OBSESS, -IOUS. Besieging; besetting, siege like, besiege, unrelenting, attempt to overpower, an extensive period of misery.

With his relentless obsidious nature, he would not let up until he conquered all before him.

30 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Cit. Seabee Wife wrote:

Does anyone know why I have a dictionary quote on my post?????

01 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife

Cit. Concerned wrote:
It is located close to Castle Volturno area. It is very nice and safe. I know of 2 house that our so beautiful that are currently available in that area. It is a 5 minute walk to the beach and they are private beaches that you pay a couple of euro to get into so they are very clean. One of the houses is 3 bedrooms and 2 baths (the house is a duplex and the landlord has his summer/beach home next door and the other is 3 1/2 bedrooms, 2 full baths (1 has a garden tub), 2 fireplaces (1 is in the kitchen), the kitchen is really big with very nice cabinets,  a basement/garage and a very big garden (yard). This house is a villa that stands alone but in a gated Parco area. It takes us 12-15 mintues to get to the SS. What Battalion is your husband in? we have alot of friends in 11, 1 and we know several that are stationed in CA. (not sure what Battalion there). Let me know if I can help you with anything else that you need to know. I will be more than happy to help. :)

Wow! Sounds lovely.  We'll have to check it out once we arrive. 

My husband won't be in the battalion, he'll be an office weenie!

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice!

01 Jul 2011
Mary Jane

Concerned, I do hope that your move into town turns out to be all that you hope it will be.

01 Jul 2011
Concerned

Mary Jane

Thank you and I know that it will! all you have to do is stay positive and Experience all Italy has to offer. :)

09 Jul 2011
Jennifer

Hi everyone,  I have been reading most of your very informational post.  My husband and I will be arriving to Italy in August.  We have two kids.  We want to live off post and I was wondering If you could give me names of cities that are in between JFC and SS?  And that are safe to live in.  My husband will be working at JFC and My kids will be going to SS for school.  So a place to live at in between would be very helpful.  Thanks!!!

13 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife

Hi Jennifer,

I have been offline for awhile, not ignoring you.  Perhaps you should post your own questions to get some answers from the locals.  I am in exactly the same boat as you...arriving in Aug (very end), 2 kids will be at school on the support site, excited yet apprehensive.  I really wanted to live out in town too but we may try base living first and see how that goes.

Did you find the www.wikinapoli.com I found this really helpful in a lot of areas.  It also gives information about the different suburbs.

14 Jul 2011
Jennifer

Thanks SW,  Good Luck on your trip. 

15 Jul 2011
Floridian

Hello all.

My husband and I  have been here since October. We currently live in a house in Pozzuoli. There are many Americans that live in Pozzuoli. It's a 20 minute commute to Capo and about 25 to Support Site. I really enjoyed living out in town, but would find myself at Support Site every weekend, having to do various things such as laundry, shopping and general entertainment. Unfortunately, our house was broken into about a month ago, and most of our electronics were stolen. I don't work and am home most of the time while my Husband works, and don't feel safe at home anymore. Last week we went  to the housing department, and they have many apartments available. We will be moving on base within the next 3 weeks. Living off base has its pro's and con's. We have experienced what Italy has to offer more than any of my Husbands coworkers or friends we have made that live on base. We know the good spots to eat at, and many local hot spots. We've made quite a few Italian friends, including our very friendly neighbors. However there are some bad aspects to living out in town. Rent is more expensive since you pay in Euros, getting anything fixed takes a LONG time, and we have a constant problem with mold on the ceiling and walls, and the paint starts to bulge from the excess moisture in the air. In the end, it's a matter of person preference. If you're up to the challenge and have a positive attitude and lots of patience, living out in town is a very rewarding and unique experience. If you have any questions at all, I would be more than happy to help out.  Arrivederci!

16 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife

Cit. Floridian wrote:
Hello all.

My husband and I  have been here since October. We currently live in a house in Pozzuoli. There are many Americans that live in Pozzuoli. It's a 20 minute commute to Capo and about 25 to Support Site. I really enjoyed living out in town, but would find myself at Support Site every weekend, having to do various things such as laundry, shopping and general entertainment. Unfortunately, our house was broken into about a month ago, and most of our electronics were stolen. I don't work and am home most of the time while my Husband works, and don't feel safe at home anymore. Last week we went  to the housing department, and they have many apartments available. We will be moving on base within the next 3 weeks. Living off base has its pro's and con's. We have experienced what Italy has to offer more than any of my Husbands coworkers or friends we have made that live on base. We know the good spots to eat at, and many local hot spots. We've made quite a few Italian friends, including our very friendly neighbors. However there are some bad aspects to living out in town. Rent is more expensive since you pay in Euros, getting anything fixed takes a LONG time, and we have a constant problem with mold on the ceiling and walls, and the paint starts to bulge from the excess moisture in the air. In the end, it's a matter of person preference. If you're up to the challenge and have a positive attitude and lots of patience, living out in town is a very rewarding and unique experience. If you have any questions at all, I would be more than happy to help out.  Arrivederci!

I'm really sorry you had to experience that.  It certainly would make you feel violated and change your outlook.  I have heard so many good things about Pozzouli and it would have been one of the first places I would consider living if we chose to go out in town.  Good to know there are lots of apartments available on base...we may end up neighbors!  I keep flip flopping between on and off base.  I guess there are pros and cons to both but I think in the end, because of my kids and pure convenience, we'll probably end up on base.  Thanks for you input!