follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Off Topic » Question for all those who got approved to stay on...
18 Jun 2011
J
Question for all those who got approved to stay on base after sponsor leaves

Ok, I know there must be many who got approved to remain on base after the sponsor leave to allow children to complete school.  One would think it is obvious that the dependents would then move into TLA after vacating government quarters.  However, PSD told us that this is not the case and that my dependents will not be allowed to move into TLA (and be reimbursed for it) unless we received N130 approval.  Has anyone else been told that?  Or were you able to get per diem and TLA after vacating your apt. on the Support Site after your sponsor left?  Just thought I would ask.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

12 Jul 2011
ANON
Re: Question for all those who got approved to stay on base after sponsor leaves

J - PSD is correct.  The military sponsor must request that the family members be allowed to stay once the member is PCS'd.  The most common reason is in order to complete the school year.  This is a formal request sent from the sponsor's command to the Naples Base CO.  If granted, the family would be allowed to stay in current quarters (military/offbase).  Keep in  mind, this is not automatic.  The Base CO is under no obligation to approve it.  Those that are approved generally are within 90 days of the end of the school year/end of semester.  

A command will never sponsor a family to remain in area and collect TLA/Per Diem...not sure where you may have heard that, but it is not at all true and would be in violation of federal regulations.

12 Jul 2011
J
Re: Question for all those who got approved to stay on base after sponsor leaves

ANON ~ Thank you very much for your reply.  We do already have the Base CO's approval for my family to remain on base.  And even with this, PSD says we need another approval to get out of housing and move into TLA.  I have spoken to other families who have been approved to remain on base, but none of them mentioned this second approval from N130...

13 Jul 2011
ANON

J - Best course of action would be to ask the legal services office to help you out.  This isn't a legal issue, of course, but they will know all the rules/regs and will be able to assist/point you in the right direction.