follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Education » Naples Elementary vs International School of Naple...
14 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife
Naples Elementary vs International School of Naples

We are a Navy family moving to Naples this August.  I have two boys who will be going into 5th & 2nd Grades.  I have been hearing some negative remarks about the Elementary School on base, particularly the 5th/6th Grade teachers! 

Can anyone who has kids at the school give me their opinion?  Should I be requesting any particular teachers?  Or should I be considering the International School purely to avoid attending the Elementary school? 

Thanks for your help.

15 Jun 2011
Mary Jane
Re: Naples Elementary vs International School of Naples

You cannot request particular teachers, but you can submit a letter in Aug  (early Aug before they do classroom assignments) requesting a particular type of classroom/teacher personality to best match your student.  We do this each school year.

We had a very positive experience with the elementary school this past year, but my kids aren't as old as yours.

One positive to keep in mind is that Naples Elementary is the biggest DODEA elementary school in all of Europe.  So they are able to offer some special needs-types assistance that other schools cannot offer.  Not sure if your students would be in need of anything like this. 

15 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Thanks very much Mary Jane.  It's good to hear that there are some positive reports about the school.  My kids do not have any special needs. 

I looked at the fees for the International School and nearly choked.  I'm not great at reading the Euro figures yet but gathered it was close to $10,000 per annum per kid once you total all the fees.  I guess we'll be attending the DOD school.  Unfortunately, I don't have the skills or patience to home school.

16 Jun 2011
Kathryn

My son (as of today) is a rising 7th grader.  He has been at NES since 4th grade.  

Last year (09-10), there were some issues with a couple of the 5th grade teachers.  However, I would say that we had a VERY positive experience.  Ms. Salinas, Mr. Christian, and Ms. Devizen are fabulous teachers (I don't know the two new teachers on the team).  My son still talks about them.  This year, in 6th grade was also a positive experience.  The 6th grade team works well together and are open/receptive to parents.  

Next year, both 5th and 6th will no longer be rotating teachers (like a high school model--the class moves to the science teacher's room or the math teacher's room etc), and be self-contained.  So one teacher for the day.

16 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Kathryn,

Thank you so much!  It's so good to hear something positive. 

When you say there were problems last year with the 5th grade teachers (which is probably the negative stuff I was hearing about), is that now resolved?  Have these teachers left?

I don't know whether to rejoice about them no longer rotating as I don't know which would be better.  Now if you get one awful teacher,  you're stuck with that one all day long?! 

You mentioned some good teachers.  Mary Jane said that you can't request teachers, is that your understanding too?

16 Jun 2011
mary

I have to say that the 5th grade team at the Elementary school is awesome.  I work at the school and love 5th and 6th grade.  The teachers all work very well together.  My children have been there for 2nd, 3rd, and now will be for 4th.  We had a bit of a rough time when we first got here, but I have worked with most of 2nd grade and I am sure you will be OK.  I am VERY neurotic about my kids being in the right class with the right teacher and so far, I have not been let down.  The best thing to do is write that letter and make an appointment with the counselor so you can get on the same page.  You will hear good and bad about everything, but I think you will find it's not so bad.

16 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Mary,

Oh thank you!  You guys are really putting my mind at ease.

Unfortunately, it's looking now like we will only be arriving a day before school starts at the earliest so I think the chips will fall where they will and we'll just hope for the best.

17 Jun 2011
Mary Jane

Even if you're showing up the day school starts, I would still write the letter.  Just call the school to find out who each letter should be directed to (different grades have different counselors) and fax or mail it, then follow up just to make sure it got received and passed on to the right person.  The school here is very used to the crazy and unforunate schedules that the military sticks us with.  They have a very reduced manning during the summer, but everything is still ramping down since we just finished classes yesterday and everything will ramp back up in Aug. 

18 Jun 2011
Seabee Wife

Thanks again Mary Jane for the great info!

04 Jul 2011
Jennifer

Hi can you tell me when the school starts?

05 Jul 2011
Seabee Wife
Re: Re: Naples Elementary vs International School of Naples

Cit. Jennifer wrote:
Hi can you tell me when the school starts?

I believe it's 29 August.  Are your kids starting there this year too?

05 Jul 2011
Mary Jane

And Kindergarten usually starts the week after everyone else (so last year it was right after Labor Day for the Kinders).

08 Jul 2011
Jennifer

Thanks my daughter is going to 3rd grade.  We get to Italy in August.  I've never been overseas and very excited and nervous about what we are about to expierence.  Any advice will help if you have any?