follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » Why must WE adopt every stray animal in Naples!
22 May 2011
Evette
Why must WE adopt every stray animal in Naples!

Over the past months I've seen an increase of dogs on the S.S.  So, ofcourse you know what that means.  MORE DOG POOP around the S.S and in the children's playground.  I'm so sick in tired of watching the grass while I walk.  This is not towards responsible dog owners, but to those who refuse to obey the base regulations...Oh yeah, and for those parents who TRUST their kids to do the RIGHT thing and pick up after their dog.  WHY? WHY? WHY?  If you can't take care of it.  Don't Adopt!

P.S
I'm also a Dog Lover!!!

24 May 2011
Kevin
Re: Why must WE adopt every stray animal in Naples!

Yes, I agree. Stop trying too "save" the world by adoping pets you can't take care of and then post ads like: Oh, can't keep "dog/cat - instert name here" because my kids are NOT taking care of them. OR I just had a baby and we can no longer keep "dog/cat" - insert name here". ESP..those that adopt and then PCS and don't want too take them with them! Ok, rant over!!

24 May 2011
Kevin

Forgot, I'm very much a dog lover myself and I'd give anything to have my dog back!

29 May 2011
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

FULLY agree.  We have just left Naples after nearly 7 years and in that time the things we have seen ppl do just disgusts me.  We have just paid 3002.70 EURO to bring our 3 cats back to the USA with us.  Now I know not everyone can afford that, I had been saving the whole time we were there to take back our one cat we brought with us from Guam knowing I would end up with at least one more cat.  We got 2 more from the SS. Because we couldn't get them on the MAC we decided to go through a private company, yes I know it was VERY expensive but they did  EVERYTHING from picking them up at the base to kenneling them, health certs and pet passports to arranging all the flights for us.  The cats arrived 3 days after us which gave us time to get to the TLA and buy what we needed for when we picked them up.

There is NO excuse to get rid of a pet when PSCing/having a baby etc NONE!  People need to think before adopting about every possible senerio, I know we did and thats why we still have our 3 with us.

31 May 2011
DandH

Hi Joanne, can you please tell me what private carrier you used? My worst fear is not being able to get our dog on a flight whether it be MAC or commercial. We have had him 8 years and brought him here with us and there is no way I am going to leave without him. But all the problems I hear from others is really making me worry.

Thanks for the help.

01 Jun 2011
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

Here is the info. It is NOT cheap but for us took the hassle and worry out of flying with our 3 cats. Personally it was worth every penny and we would use him again or his follow on company if we ever went overseas again, they were all brilliant and get us up dated through email on where the cats were when they went on a plane and who was dealing with them until we picked them up on our end.  They deal with cats and dogs.

From Italy (picked up our cats from the base) Mark O'Neil (American, ex military, speaks perfect Italian)

M. O'Neil Forwarding Srl
Via Degli Abeti 29 Ste. 7
00172 ROME ITALY
Tel: +39 06 2323 1085
eMail:
oneil@moneilforwarding.com
Cel: +39 340 631 2270
Fax: +39 06 2348 2540
EORI: IT10422861004
Member IAMOVER
Member IPATA

The company he used when they arrived state side "Animal Ark"

Carol Silhan
Operations Manager Import&Export/Owner
Animal Ark, Inc.
PO Box 725
Palos Heights, Illinois 60463 USA
office 708-448-4275
fax 708-448-4275
email: animalark2@aol.com
Member IPATA
Member Pet Sitters International
United States Dept. Of Agriculture-Intermediate Animal Handler
Transportation Security Administration-Indirect Air Carrier

21 Sep 2011
Courtney

You Clearly cant be that much of a dog lover if you cant understand why people just want to help out the poor dogs here! Your post comes off neg and nasty to me, alot of us didnt ask to be stationed here but it happened and what makes this a horriable place to live on base is all the complaining the wives constantly do, thats all I hear is bitching, since your so good at it why dont you bitch at the people to get the dog park open so we can have a better place to let all our dogs run so you dont have to worry about poop! you should stay on the sidewalks if your worried about it so much ,its nature if you dont like it dont walk in the grass!! Yours Truly- True dog Lover!

29 Sep 2011
Holly

I don't have much to say except this. It is stated that you have to clean up after your dog. There are baggies provided along with trash cans. No one should have to AVOID the grass because someone is too lazy to pick up after their dog

30 Sep 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

Well, I don't think any should have to avoid an area because other individuals are being inconsiderate.  It never ceases to P me off when my kids come home and drag landmine surprise up the stairwell because they cut across a short patch of grass.

I feel for pet owners though, and have placed in my latest housing survey, that the dog run needs to be opened up.  Yes the one that is at the back end of the base that has no gate to get into.  Check it out next time you are there.  Do everyone a favor and demand the dog run be opened on your housing survey.