follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Shops & Shopping » AUTOPORT
20 May 2011
JC
AUTOPORT

I'm sick of the autoport on base. They are constantly taking advantage of personnel on base and only make problems worse. The entire shop is corrupt, and have purposefully sabotaged vehicles so they can "fix" it for a ridiculous amount of money. One guy was even recently fired for charging customers full price for new parts and then getting them from junkyards. I have yet to even hear on good comment about this establishment.

I used to go to them only for oil changes. It was just easier to do that rather than do it on my own. But they purposefully drilled out the threads on my oil pan, and said that it is a common problem to have threads stripped during maintenance. It is not common, and if it does happen by accident, then it is done by negligence.

If you have had a similar problem, I ask that you please go to the following website: http://www.cnic.navy.mil/Naples/index.htm. On the right side of the page, you can submit an Interactive Customer Evaluation (ICE). If enough complaints are filed, maybe they'll finally start turning that place around. I'm not looking to get it shut down. I'm all for the convenience, even though there are several viable options of english speaking shops just off base. All I want is for the Autoport to have competant workers that aren't going to cheat the customer.

20 May 2011
amy
Re: AUTOPORT

JC-

I couldn't agree more! They destroyed our Naples car and it cost us a few grand to get it fixed. They also did it to two other cars that I know of. I've made complaints too, because they are corrupt!

21 May 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

I had my oil changed there last week.  I came back to show the guys where the key to my lug nuts was so he could rotate my tires also and I found the technician rifiling through the back of my hatchback trunk and checking out my tire pump and tire pressure guage.  He dropped it right away when he noticed me standing next to him.

The older gentleman that used to work at JFC, he says as a mechanic, tried to charge me $25 a quart for Mobil 1 synthetic.  That stuff goes for $8.69 a quart back in the states.  I know this is not the states, but come on man.  He tried to tell me because it is 0-40w vice 5-20w and this is the triple difference in price.  Now if I had not grown up working on all my own vehicles and changing my own oil all these years I might have bought that, but seriously not everyone is that ignorant.

I wish I could change my own oil here, it is just to much touble to wait until the hobby shop opens, take a safety course, hope they have room, rent a stall, pay for oil discard, etc.

22 May 2011
Gregory

At Support Site it's easy to change your own oil. You just walk up to the counter, buy the oil that you need, and they will assign you a stall. There is no paying extra for oil discard.

They only charge you for the oil that you use and then like $4.50 an hour for stall usage. I just changed mine there last week and was in and out in under an hour. 

As for the "Safety Course" you read a pamphlet of shop rules and then take a short quiz. It's all common sense stuff and should take less than 10-15 minutes.

Just remember to take in your vehicles registration, it's such a simple process and you don't have to worry about your stuff being rifled through in the auto port.

07 Jun 2011
Todd

Well let’s see, where I start. The last two replies about two autoport are right, both in their own ways. The hassle for waiting until it opens and ... is difficult to accept. But at least you have the peace of mind that it was done right and not wondering if the last 40 liters left in your NATO coupon book are going to be there when you get your car back.

I went to the Autoport last week to get a new battery for my car and they would have to order it for 250 Euro! I was upset and told them I can get one out on the town for 120 euro and they asked where? Then yesterday I went back to check if they could get it. After they called around and got one for $220. It is a 110 amp BOSCH for a Mercedes.  Said it would not be here until 1000 tomorrow, so I went in at 1200. Guess what? No battery. They said it will be about an hour to an hour and a half as the driver is stuck in traffic. So I went and did a few duties around the base and went back at 1330. They called the driver again and he said maybe 1430 or 1500. That is when I lost it. Told them that it was unacceptable and I will file a complaint with the Base Commander. Also said I have the intention to have my money fully refunded. And told them about the piss poor service I have been hearing about around the base that they do or don’t provide. Told them with firm hand in the air that I will be back at 1000 tomorrow and left.

So here I am, found this forum. Going to file an ICE survey and also email the CO of the base and NEX general Manager. Hopefully we can put an end to this VERY BAD SERVICE at the autoport.

07 Jun 2011
mary

I too was ripped off by the autoport on a car battery that would not hold a charge.  They would not replace it nor give me my money back.  I have found a very fair and honest mechanic in town who has worked on both of my cars for a fair price and nothing else was broken or stolen when I got them back!  He will continue to get my business as well as all of the friends I have referred to him!

08 Jun 2011
Derek

The autport is terrible... they tried to sell me wiper blades for 150 dollars saying the ones they have on the shelf wouldn't fit.... After doing more research, the ones on the shelf were perfectly fine

19 Jun 2011
nika

So Posters who now get services out in town- help your Mates out and post the names/addresses/phone of your local mechanics that are trustworthy and won't screw foreigners over...

I live in Lago Patria and have one for ya:

Oil Changes-
Go to the Total gas station across from the chinese restaurant, bring your own oil (discounted with NATO oil coupons).  I can't remember the price, but they were reasonable AND after taking a look at my car one time the mechanic actually told me my oil was okay and didn't need to be changed yet (instead of doing it anyway and charging me).  Little to no English Spoken (so use your smartphone google translator).

20 Jun 2011
mary

Look in the Panorama!  Johnny is the guy we use. 

13 Jul 2011
Kevin

All of the ABOVE! True! Rip-off! They need to get rid of the nasty customer service attitude. I'm tired of filling out customer complaints when they are still there!

16 Jul 2011
CJ

If you fill out a negative ice complaint, you will probably get a response quickly.

https://ice.disa.mil/index.cfm?fa=site&site_id=163

01 Aug 2011
JC

It's been over 2 months now, and I still haven't heard anything back from either the NEX nor the ICE survey that I filled out. I don't know about anyone else, but my next steps are to schedule a one-on-one appointment with the managers of the NEX and also submit a complaint to the Navy Inspector General. I know the guy who's wife is the IG here for Italy, and this is what she has metioned to do. So, if you've had troubles with the Autoport, like so many others, please follow suit, and maybe we can finally get some good quality service. If something is here for our convenience, it should be convenient. It shouldn't be a huge stressor due to the huge rip-off that it is.

01 Aug 2011
Thomas

Keep up the good fight!  I have no experience with them, but if they are not doing business in a professional manner- go after them.  We have no BBB or Yelp or anything here...only folks like you who care that people getting ripped off.  Or even worse, a young sailor or spouse who does not have money to waste.  If you don't say anything, no one will. 
Thanks for you effort.

03 Aug 2011
Jermaine
Re: Re: AUTOPORT

If you are having problems with the Auto-port, you should contact Jack and Peppe.  They are located in Lago Patria and Jack speaks fluent English.  He will not rip you off.  No matter your car, make and model, he is fair and does good work.  He will even pick your car up and return it back to you.  contact him at 328-561-8904 or email at jacknickson1@yahoo.com.  If its just an oil change or you need a new transmission, they are legit and gets the job done.

09 Aug 2011
JC

I heard there was a mechanic just outside the SS that has base access, and will pick up and drop off your car while you're at work... Any one have a name and/or number? Thanks.

10 Aug 2011
mary

He does not have base access that I know of.  You have to take the car right across the street from the main gate of SS.  His name is Johnny and his # is in the Panorama.

11 Aug 2011
keith

Look in the Panarama for Mario's. He is a good guy to take your Auto for repairs. Do not go to the guy across the Street "Johnny".

14 Aug 2011
Giino

Cit. David wrote:

I had my oil changed there last week.  I came back to show the guys where the key to my lug nuts was so he could rotate my tires also and I found the technician rifiling through the back of my hatchback trunk and checking out my tire pump and tire pressure guage.  He dropped it right away when he noticed me standing next to him.

The older gentleman that used to work at JFC, he says as a mechanic, tried to charge me $25 a quart for Mobil 1 synthetic.  That stuff goes for $8.69 a quart back in the states.  I know this is not the states, but come on man.  He tried to tell me because it is 0-40w vice 5-20w and this is the triple difference in price.  Now if I had not grown up working on all my own vehicles and changing my own oil all these years I might have bought that, but seriously not everyone is that ignorant.

I wish I could change my own oil here, it is just to much touble to wait until the hobby shop opens, take a safety course, hope they have room, rent a stall, pay for oil discard, etc.

14 Aug 2011
Tayli

Changing oil at the auto hobby shop isn't as bad as you think. They give you a short test to make sure you know how to work things like the lift and where stuff goes, if you get anything wrong they explain it to you. There have been stalls open every time I go there, to me it's worth it.

17 Aug 2011
Timothy

Ok here we go.  I only go to the auto port to purchase items.  Never will I have my car worked on there again even though I have never had a problem.  As far as oil, I will only use Royal Purple 1st and then AMSOIL 2nd, both oils are about 7or8 dollars a quart.  Expensive I know but no oil out there will top these 2 oils.  You can buy these online and have them shipped here, you just have to find the right store that will ship it.  

I do everything myself at the auto hobby shop behind the autoport.  If you can do it, do it at the auto hobby shop.  You can ask for help too.  I see too many people taking their cars to auto port for a oil change or any fluid for that matter, changing wipers and other small stuff.  These are all simple things that anyone can do.  Dont waste your money and time at the autoport, do it yourself.

18 Aug 2011
Maria

I completely agree with all of you, this place is such a rip off but then again what isn't in Naples!!  It's all the same, Autoport, Housing dept, Telecom, etc.  Sure the pay is good here but at what cost?  I just don't understand why complaints are never dealt with? I stongly believe there are people here getting a pretty good kick back to look the other way.  Why do we allow this to happen??

06 Oct 2011
Anthony

It is amazing that this business is still operating, well not really.  The things you all mentioned here are rife at all levels in every part of every business on base.  If this were America, which it isn't, these places would be boarded up and someone held accountable.  I am sure this place will be on the BRAC list sometime soon, hopefully next stop will be Rota or Lisbon, at least they know who to take care of each other and not run the place (Mother Nature and everyone else) into the ground.  For a place that has been around for 2000+ years, maybe they could reign back on the "old ways" just a little.

Sincerely,
Tired of the corruption!

06 Oct 2011
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post

We use a wonderful mechanic located in Lago Patria; his name is Lorenzo. With your consent. he shops for rebuilt or used parts, charges very reasonable prices (unlike the Autoport), and goes the extra mile each and every time. The total price even includes a complete car detail, a nice fnishing touch.  We've never had a problem, and he speaks perfect English.  He also owns a car stereo store, and has excellent prices on stereo repair and upgrades. He was referred to us by another American, and we are grateful!

I worked with auto mechanics for 13 years before moving here, so I feel confident in recommending Lorenzo and advising to avoid the Autoport if at all possible.

Lorenzo:  338-718-2590

06 Oct 2011
Jose

Cit. Maria wrote:
I completely agree with all of you, this place is such a rip off but then again what isn't in Naples!!  It's all the same, Autoport, Housing dept, Telecom, etc.  Sure the pay is good here but at what cost?  I just don't understand why complaints are never dealt with? I stongly believe there are people here getting a pretty good kick back to look the other way.  Why do we allow this to happen??
Maria: they take advantage of people who have a language barrier, and those who don't dare to go off-base and look for other options. While they did try to rip me off once (even though they know I am a mechanic), I did not let them. During a vehicle inspection, they said "my exhaust was too loud"... really guy? Are you going to replace the exhaust and bill me $200? Va fanculo stronzo!

Highly encourage all to make you voice heard. Fill out the ICE feedback and fight back these rip-offs.

22 Apr 2012
Josh

This is a plug for the best car mechanic we have ever had. For a little history, my husband has a Chrysler Sebring, not exactly the highest mechanical quality car. Before we moved here, he put close to $2000 into the car to try to fix several problems. No joy. When we came here, he found a guy named Luciano, who works in Lago Patria, and not only fixed the problem but charged 1/4 of the price. He works on all cars, is very reasonable in price, and does a great job. Yesterday, our car wouldn't start and he was going to drive to Carney park on his day off to help fix the car. His shop shop is at 143 Via Staffeta, right next to Caruso's. His cell number is 328-465-1084. email is lufly@live.it. He speaks english pretty well. If you happen to use him, let him know that Josh said he was THE BEST!!!!!!

22 May 2012
Jordan

I beg to differ on this. I have used the autoport with much luck and fairness. I usually research the parts I need prior to checking with them and knowing a little about cars I have yet to be ripped off. I may be an isolated case however, they have always been fair and good. I notice alot of individuals buy a junker car then get angry when they bring it in and are told repairs are 900 bucks, you bought a hunk and now your engine is about to blow sorry if you need to spend a little. A few months ago I heard a lady getting angry cause they said she had to change her rotors as part of the brake change this is a common safe practice and only changing out the pads like the lady wanted is half way doing the job. If your new give them a chance, if there crooked or your suspect it contact the NEX to get this issue fixed.

11 Jun 2012
mary

Ok I also have had many problems with the auto port my husband and I really need a repair guy we have a 2001 Benz and we know there is some serious problems we need to fix also we need to get another tire so if someone could please let me know i live on SS and really dont want to have to go to lago and the guy they said whos number was in the panarama i can not find in there so please let me know the sooner the better. Thank you in advance

13 Jun 2012
-

Mary call Lorenzo in Lago Patria.  Very trust worthy and knows evryhting about BMW's and Merc's.  3392132765

24 Feb 2013
R

All these negative comments are totally correct! I still don't know why nobody at any level closes the place down. They are all crooks in there and people still go there. I really don't understand. Please keep posting here and submiting the customer satifaction cards and tell all the people you know that place is crookland! Hopefully at some point somebody will close it down and give the contract to some new (hope) honest contractor. Thank You All.P.S.In case somebody needs a good honest mech, mine is right behind Carney Park - only had great experience with him - please call me and I will explain how to get there. Hope this helps. Robert 3351752325

16 Jun 2013
Mark

A couple of folks have posted some good reviews of Lorenzo in Lago Patria.  I can whole-heartedly agree with their appraisal.I’ve been dealing with Lorenzo and his brother Gino for over ten years now, and they have never let me down.  Every bit of work that I have had done (on four different cars now) has been excellent and always at a great price.  The quality of their service goes well beyond just what they do in the shop.  There have been a couple of times when I’ve had problems with my car and they were able to send someone to help out, whether I was stuck in Bagnoli with a bad thermostat, sitting on the side of the road in Varcaturo with a flat tire and no spare or just at home with a car with a dead battery in my garage. For me, they’ve done everything from simple battery replacements and tune-ups to a complete “makeover” (mechanical, electrical, repaint, etc) of my M3.  The work is invariably excellent and I have never been anything less than 100% satisfied with their service.

17 Oct 2013
Joe

Welcome.Hi, I introduce myself, my name is Joe, and I work on cars, the cars have been my passion since childhood, and now my passion has become my job too. Together with my team of employees, we offer our expertise and professionalism to repair your car by applying very reasonable prices (unlike the Autoporto), quickly and with the utmost honesty.After each intervention will be shown to the replaced parts to make sure that you can establish the actual replacement.No matter the make and model of the car, we treat all the spare parts.In addition, if you want we can pick up the car and drop it off while you're at work. We have access to the base.My team consists of experienced mechanics, body shops and electricians.The prices charged, also include a full detail of the car and get a discount for all military and family members of the JFC Naples, seeing is believing. 339-451-73-72.

09 Jan 2016
Charles

My wife and I will be transferring to Naples, Italy at the end of January 2016. I was assigned there before back in the mid-90's to 2000. i recently purchased a used 2013 Honda Fit. I was reading the blog regarding some of the nightmares individuals were having at the Autoport there in Naples. I can completely understand having had to deal with them back during my first assignment there. Can anyone help me as to what spare parts I should bring over to avoid any hassle on the part of dealing with the autoport. I purchased the Honda Fit after scouring through Consumer Reports magazines regarding their reviews for the MOST RELIABLE vehicle and LOW INCIDENTS OF MAINTENANCE so I could avoid having to deal with the Autoport.  How are they at repairing Honda make vehicles?  Thank you very much for your assistance.  Any and all advice is welcomed.

22 Feb 2016
Giovanni

Charles wrote:
My wife and I will be transferring to Naples, Italy at the end of January 2016. I was assigned there before back in the mid-90's to 2000. i recently purchased a used 2013 Honda Fit. I was reading the blog regarding some of the nightmares individuals were having at the Autoport there in Naples. I can completely understand having had to deal with them back during my first assignment there. Can anyone help me as to what spare parts I should bring over to avoid any hassle on the part of dealing with the autoport. I purchased the Honda Fit after scouring through Consumer Reports magazines regarding their reviews for the MOST RELIABLE vehicle and LOW INCIDENTS OF MAINTENANCE so I could avoid having to deal with the Autoport.  How are they at repairing Honda make vehicles?  Thank you very much for your assistance.  Any and all advice is welcomed.

22 Aug 2016
James

The engine in my Audi locked up. They tried to charge me $30,000 to replace the engine. They gave me a price of $26,000 for the engine new and $17,000 for a used engine from Germany. I in turn found a used engine in Germany for $4300. I asked the NEX manager why the price was so different and he said they can't compete with eBay. I said but the engine came from Germany and he said he was going rondo some research. My car has been there for about two months. I am waiting on the oil I ordered from the states to get to them before they can start my car. My car has been with these guys for about two months or so. They fail to give me updates on the progress of the work on my car. They did work on my car before insuring it was ok with me and then charged me extra for doing it. I'm done with them. The question I have is do they sell oil at the auto port?