follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » Vonage
13 May 2011
Davina
Vonage

I have brought vonage here to italy and just curious as to how i am going to make it work if anybody knows because for internet i've not been sure of how everything will get hooked up any info appreciated

13 May 2011
Robert
Re: Vonage

I have Vonage and it works great! Just plug the little modem device that they gave you into your internet Router via the Ethernet cable (blue or yellow cable that hooks to the back). In the back of the Vonage modem there is a spot for a regular phone line cable that you hook up to your phone. Power it on and it auto connects, Simple as that! If you have any questions let me know, hope this helps!

13 May 2011
Davina

Hey Robert, thanks for the reply, but I was thinking of getting the internet cube that i've read about so how would the phone work with that?

13 May 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

The internet cube is something that Comcast offers.  Unfortunately Comcast is not here, nor is any type of satellite service available unless you live outside of the base.  Even if you live outside of the base, the best internet speed you will get here is ADSL.

23 May 2011
Papi
User Banned

He is right, if you are one of those persons that are overseas a lot, then Vonage is the best way to go. Now you can have Skype application in your iPhone then if you have Wii fi connection and then you can talk in your phone itself. Now that if you are in the sea a lot or TDY all the time, means never home go for Skype, i believe there is Wii fi in the ship and comes way cheap. So either way if you married then go with the Vonage. I also had Skype which it was very cheap but the computer has to be on all the time. Now if you find a device that can work with Skype instead of the computer then even better.

25 May 2011
Davina

yea we will be living out in town so i hope comcast will be available and will work with vonage

26 May 2011
Papi
User Banned

Soory, i dont think there is comcast here in Italy, but for sure they have this company call skyTV, offer cable tv and internet, price i dont't know.

28 May 2011
robert

the other option is to get a free to air decoder. the whole setup will set you back about 100 euro. internet i would go with infostrada or vodaphone.

03 Sep 2011
Jaime

I have Vonage, love it.  I set up the area code to be the same as my mom and mother in law. Now they pick up the phone (all the time!) and it's a local call to them.  You get an email for with the voice mail and they offer the travel Iphone app that is billed to your Iphone account.  I don't have an Iphone but it is still cool. 

No comcast in Italy.  
JG

09 Feb 2012
Allison
Re: Vonage ... an alternative

An alternative...If you have a gmail account you call call the US for free. Most likely you will have had to sign up for the account in the United States. The call quality is okay, there are a few times when it breaks up and there is a slight delay, but it works good enough, especially considering it is free. In Gmail under "Chat and SMS" there is a "Call phone" button, then type in the number or search for a contact and press "Call". I have used it 3 times now (calling family and US businesses). I also had a google voice account created in the US that I use for text messages/voicemails to/from the US. I can send/receive text messages from my phone when connected to a wireless network and my friend/family in the states don't have to worry about a new/foreign number. If you don't have accounts, you can try using a proxy to make gmail/google voice think you're in the US.Skype is good too, but a lot of my family members don't have an internet connection at home so this has been a good option for us.