follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Off Topic » HELP PLEASE! Sponsorship....
11 May 2011
Michelle
HELP PLEASE! Sponsorship....

Hi! This is the first time I have posted and am desperately in need of, and would be very appreciative if anybody could offer any suugestions. My husband is enlisted and currently posted at Naples. He has been trying to apply for sponsorship for me, but has just been told that as his posting is for 2 years and 9 months, not for 3 years, then they will not sponsor me. We are devastated and have no idea what to do next. As far I am aware, it is almost impossible to get sponsored by an Italian Company or School. I am an Australian citizen with a Arts/Teaching degree and will do anything to be able to move and live with him legally. I am looking at every avenue possible, but just crossing my fingers that somebody might be able to offer some advice.  I also wanted to mention that I have extensive experience teaching in Australia and also at International Schools..... THANK YOU.

11 May 2011
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Re: HELP PLEASE! Sponsorship....

Michelle,

I am British and have been through all this and more over the years have your husband call me (think it will be cheaper for him than you LOL) I will see what I can do to help/suggest my number is 629-4534 before 10am as I have meetings the rest of the morning or he can call me later in the day or on my cell phone 348-069-1615 any time.

Joanne

11 May 2011
JoAnne

Michelle,

I am British and have been through all this and more over the years have your husband call me (think it will be cheaper for him than you LOL) I will see what I can do to help/suggest my number is 629-4534 before 10am as I have meetings the rest of the morning or he can call me later in the day or on my cell phone 348-069-1615 any time.

Joanne

12 May 2011
Michelle

Hi Joanne,

Thanks for your reply.  It all really seems like a bit of a lost cause.  Even if I were to get a Visa, I still would be unable to work.  I wish things didn't have to be so difficult, but will continue to look for different options.  I am sorry that you have had to deal with all the difficulties too.

12 May 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

That is such a crock.  I got married while overseas and had 2 year orders. The command sponsored her.  You might have your husband look into the Overseas Tour Extension Incentive Program. If eligible he can extend out to the 36 month tour.

12 May 2011
Michelle

Hi David, I agree, it is an absolute crock!  Thanks for your sentiments!  I think it has annoyed us so much he may just see if he can get out early.  It just seems to be one hurdle after another and to be honest, it's just not worth it.

12 May 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

By get out early I hope you don't mean leaving the service!  Don't let one bad experience at a command sway a career.

Things may totally change at your next duty station.  Keep your head up!

12 May 2011
Cheryl

Michelle,

Is your husband an American service member stationed here? what branch of service? Were the orders cut before you were married? Are you registered in DEERS? I have never heard of anything like this. There are many international schools you can apply to these are some of them

International school Lago Patria, Internaional school of Naples (JFC), International Montessouri school (JFC)

You can also apply to become DODEA certified, this must be done from the USA, no guarantee to get hired but worth a try as the Dodds schools are everywhere

12 May 2011
Marilyn

Hi Michelle,

I agree with what David said (if your husband hasn't looked into it already).

You are absolutely right, you still will not be able to work here unless you become a US Citizen as I too am Australian and fell right into the same trap. I gave up an Accounting career in the US to come over here only to find out that I couldn't work because of the SOFA agreement. I am and have been a US Resident (Green Card) for over 10 years but you must be a citizen. You will not be able to get a job through DODEA either because of the US Citizen requirement also. TRUST ME - I CAN ONLY VOLUNTEER, Alternatively you can be a bagger (pay is tips only) or Subway (food service)! It IS depressing but the suggestion of the JFC schools is probably the most legitimate and best bet if you make it over here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck to you.

12 May 2011
M.

I am sorry you are going through this.  I know quite a few people who are here accompanied (with dependents) for tour of less than three year.  I have also met one family in Germany who was going to be there for a year, and all dependents accompanied the servicemember.  What branch of the service is your husband in?  Have you or your husband contacted your Legal Dept.?  Maybe they could help you.  Good luck!!!

13 May 2011
Michelle

Thanks for the input guys.  My husband is in the Navy.  We have had the idea of moving back to Australia for a long time, so it isn't only this situation that has influenced our decisions.  Anyway, I think I have found a one year working visa that I can apply for.  I am just young enough to apply and it means I can come over for a year and give us some time together to work things out.  I can work for 2, 3 month periods, although not really expecting that I will be able to find anything.  What Marilyn has written though, basically just reaffirms what I had already researched.  I had contacted DODEA and found out that as an Australian, I can't teach or work on the Base (other than the jobs you mentioned, Marilyn).  Working at an International School doesn't seem like an option either, as I wouldn't have the correct visa.  Does anybody know if it would be the same situation at the Montessori School?  

Marilyn, how long will you stay for?  I know it must have been difficult to give up, or at least put on hold, your career.  I have been looking at a few things, and whilst I am there, volunteering seems like a good options.  I am use to working full time and worried that I would get bored otherwise.

Thanks for everybody else's suggestions.  I would get my husband to have a look at this forum.  The are some things that he will understand better than I can.   

13 May 2011
Marilyn

I will be here for at least another 12months, but overall my family has been here for almost 3 years. I haven't been here for the entire time due to having to return to Australia to then care for my both terminally ill parents. Since being back, I have been volunteering and occasionally making cakes. It was definately an adjustment to my career.

Trust me, if you want to volunteer, there are many organizations who are screaming for volunteers. You can also get your US Citizenship alot faster being stationed overseas if your husband has a minimum of 18 months left on orders. However, I am not sure how it will work if you can't get command sponsored here.

Wow you are in a horrible situation. I truly hope that the sponsorship situation can get fixed.

13 May 2011
Michelle

So sorry to hear that things are difficult for you also.  It is really hard to be so far away from family.  Can you tell me anything else about the JFC schools and why you thought that might be a possibility for employment?  It is my understanding that even if I were sponsored, I wouldn't be able to work there....

15 May 2011
Michelle

Joanne,

Is there some way I can message you?

Thanks.

17 May 2011
JoAnne

Hi Michelle, you can find me on Facebook, since we are not allowed to post emails on here that might be the easiest way,  I am Joanne Coates Burch on FB.  We PCS from here Friday so calling wouldn't help either.  Look for me as it will be so much easier for me to talk to you on there, we can IM each other, I will be able to help/suggest things which I think may help.

17 May 2011
Michelle

I looked on FB, but I couldn't find you, I searched for Joanne Coates Burch... :(

Good luck PCSing.

18 May 2011
JoAnne

Michelle look under my husband David R. Burch,  he is sitting down on our balcony a wall and appts behind him, he's wearing a maroon tshirt.  If you find him you can find me on his friend list.  Lets try that route :)  Either that or we can ask admin to pass on my email to you (not sure if they will or not?  Admin, since I am leaving can you please keep my email up just while she can get it? burchfam4@yahoo.com thanks.

18 May 2011
Michelle

Thank you, thank you!  I found you!

18 May 2011
TCB

YEAH! Ok! Talk soon I hope.

20 May 2011
JoAnne

Michelle, waiting for you to add me.  Will be back on line over the weekend.  Talk soon