follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Shops & Shopping » Fruit stand in griciano
23 Apr 2011
k
Fruit stand in griciano

FYI, i just bought some fruit from the stand right b4 the roundabout and the guy there ripped me off on the price, being new i did not formulate the math as quickly as i should have, and just paid it. he charged one price for my bananas and oranges and that was 2.99 euro lb, so it came out being about 1.25 US per piece of fruit. and then he tried to throw a couple melons in and not give me my change, it took several "no's" b4 he would give me my change and then he took the melons back that i never asked for in the beginning. at first i thought he was being nice, but i was wrong, he was just trying to separate me from my money.

24 Apr 2011
Fey
Re: Fruit stand in griciano

bananas costs 1.00 E a KG in town. So he didn t just ripped you off on the math but alsoo on the price.

Don t buy from anybody near the gates or around the base .Just go to markets so you have more choice and compare the pricece. 

24 Apr 2011
mary

I learned QUICK to never go to that guy!  He is a big scammer.  There is a fruit stand, if you turn left at the roundabout, about a couple of blocks down on the left.  They are VERY nice in there, and always charge what the price actually is!

25 Apr 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

The fruit stand that you speak of has great fruit, but yes the owner is dishonest.  Just know your prices per Kilo before you go to him to buy and it is hard to get ripped off.  I personally do not care for the hole in the wall fruit shop left of the round about, not the best quality.

Also the guy at the "crooked" fruit stand has another dirty trick he likes to play.  He will offer you all kinds of stuff to taste (grapes, cheese, ham, etc.) all the while his wife up front will punch it up in the register.  I personally do not go to him anymore, not because he has fooled me, but I do not like to give my business to dishonest merchants.

Some of the best fruit stands are further into Aversa on Via John Fitzgerald Kennedy, just down from the train station, or even at the iperfamilia or appia centers .  You can get to them from the first exit on the SS7 just past the Base.

For general stuff like pasta, Mozzarella, wine, cheese, sausage (not freezer food) I like to go to Marianno who has the little Salumeria at the "round about".  He has a good selection of wine and also speaks good english.

There is another grocery store to the right on the round about, just down a bit on the left before the Pastaceria.  Not always the best organized and the young girls are not shy about hitting on men, even with the wifey there!

25 Apr 2011
Dominique

Whenever you see a guy at the side of the road selling fruit and veggies (ESPECIALLY) near the bases, do NOT buy from them. Stick to the markets and the fruit vendors in town. Always ask for the price PER kilo and make sure you watch them weight it. The "Strawberry Guy" outside the base has been there for years (since we got here in '04) and he always tells people a case of strawberries is 10euro (Because the crop was bad, these are excellent strawberries, they are better because they are organic, blahbitty blah) When in fact you should NEVER pay more than 6 euro for a case of them, and by case I mean the wooden crate they are sitting in while you haggle the price of them. And usually, which has been my experience, when you buy more than 2 crates or kilos of whatever fruit you choose, you can always ask for a "sconto" (discount). 9 times out of 10, you'll get it.

The best places for fruit are always going to be the markets and the fruit vendors in town (with a store front) because they at least will always appreciate your business. Repeat buyers will also usually get sweet deals as well.

When I asked the guy outside the base once why he thought being a "thief" was the way to treat the Americans he was trying to sell to, his answer? "Because if you don't buy these, someone else who doesn't know any better WILL." Nice, dude. Nice......

26 Apr 2011
Fey

4 euros afor a case of strawberrys and as time goes by they go dowm to 3 and 2E X case.

12 May 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

I decided to check out the claims that the guy with the fruit stand on the right as you enter Gricignano is over charging fruit.

I went down to the fruit stand on the left in Gricignano, the one closer to the Municipal piazza.  I bought two different types of fruit.  Nespole (Loquat) and pears.  Nespole were 3e a Kilo and pears were 3.5e a kilo.  I then walked to the first fruit stand and asked his prices for pears and nespole as he does not mark them.  They were the same exact price.

19 May 2011
Tatiana

We've been here a little over 2 years.  For two summers we were buying strawberries from the guy right outside the base for 5euro for the whole crate.  This year he told us it would cost us 10euro.  Yesterday we went about a 2 minute drive down the road to a little market/store and got the same amount of strawberries (the whole crate) for 5euro.  Maybe it depends on the type of fruit, I honestly don't know, but his prices for strawberries are definitely not the same as you can get somewhere else.

01 Jun 2011
Paul

I bought melons last night from him outside the base. E1 a kilo. About right

05 Jun 2011
Kate

Out in town whether at a market or a fruit stand, you can get a whole crate of strawberries for €2-3.

05 Jun 2011
Sara

I have not really bought fruit in town, so I'm not sure what is right or wrong.  However, I DO know that everyone says its MUCH cheaper to buy fruit from out in town then it is on base.  I stoped at the stand right off base and the guy charged me 10E for 1kilo of cherries???

That seems extremely high and I swear I could see him laughing as I drove off.  He is very persistant and will hardly take No for an answer.  After he bagged the cherries and handed them to me, he wouldnt take them back.  I was tired and just didnt have the fight, so I gave him the 10euro and made a mental note to not go back to him.

06 Jun 2011
Dominique

Sorry Sara,
 You paid about 6 euro more than you should have. That guy is an outright THIEF 99% of the time. He will always overcharge because he truly believes that Americans will buy regardless. Hit the markets, hit the Auchan, but definitely STAY away from the guy outside of base. That is how he makes his money. He buys from vendors and then RE-sells them to the Americans. So he is banking pure profit just by sitting on his butt reading all day. (A friend of mine knows him and sees him buy from an Agriculture depot nearby) Stay away!!

07 Jun 2011
Todd

NICE! I really like to stop as a I drive by and see someone buying from him. Ask them if they are American, tell them this man is a thief and to get into their car and drive away.

12 Jun 2011
Scott

We paid 5 Euro for the crate of strawberries and while all the berries on top were beautiful, all the berries on the bottom were molded.  We threw away more than half.  :(  I now stop and discourage Americans from taking advantage of the 'American Discount."

I also watched him try to charge an African American lady twice the price as he offered me.  Fortunately, she walked away.

Not only is he dishonest, he is extremely prejudiced.