follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » average monthly utility bill living offbase
13 Apr 2011
Angel
average monthly utility bill living offbase

Hello!
I am wondering if anyone can give us a rough estimate on the monthly utility bill they spend for
gas, electricity, water and phone.
we are looking at a 3 to 4 bedroom house in Licola/Varcaturo area.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

14 Apr 2011
robert
Re: average monthly utility bill living offbase

depends on if you use the nex or get it mailed to you. I live near pinetamre and pay 50-75 euro for 2 mos

14 Apr 2011
Kevin

Tax Free Enel bill by NEX: $274.45

Tax Free Telecom bill by NEX: $67.67

We have a garage, small yard, living room, dining room, kitchen, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms 1 w/ bath only and 1 with shower and bath and laundry room w/ shower, sink, toilet.

I pay no trash service, my landlord pays for bottled water, I pay no water bill. I live in Casal.

I also use A/C's with heat and we have an Agip tank.

15 Apr 2011
Carol

hi

We live in Licola in a 3 bed 2 bath house. We dont pay for water only in August when all water supply from here gets bypassed to Magic World and hotels etc. We pay 109 Euro every 2 months which includes internet, telephone line and Telecom international (unlimited calls to uk and france for around 8 euros per month) our Enel bill is quite high although we are supposedly residents I have just got my bill for the last 2 months which is 124 Euros, there are only the 2 of us here. Last year it was as high as 248 !. We buy our house gas around 150 Euros which last us around 6 months, we have a gas oven top and electric oven. We dont pay for rubbish !

Hope this helps

Carol

17 Apr 2011
Angel

Thank you all for your reply.
Kevin, the house we plan to rent have the same specs as yours. 4 bedroom 2 bath (+1 bath has the washer and dryer) a yard, a garage, open concept kitchen, living room and dining area.  the ENEL bill is for two months right? : )
Carol, we heard Licola have a big issue on internet and phone lines. How long did it take you to get the internet, phone, cable set up?

17 Apr 2011
alicia

Angel,

Our house is the same as Kevin's and we live in Monteruschiello (close to Licola).  Our bills were running about the same as his.  Then in Feb. we got our Enel bill and it was 1300euro.  They aren't like the states and check your meter every month.  So at the beginning of the year they send a bill with the difference from what they guestimated your meter to be and what it actually read at the end of the year!  This was a huge surprise to us and really set us back so I would ask your landlord if they call in the meter readings or let them guess.

-Alicia

18 Apr 2011
Carol

hi Kevin

It took a long time to get our internet and phone line sorted. We moved from Lago Averno area and were told we could keep the same phone number. Our Italian friend rang Telecom for us. The phone line at our previous house was in my husbands name . It took from August until November to get our new internet and landline sorted in Licola. This was after numerous calls from our friend. We in the end opened the account in my name and that seemed to work. However we kept loosing the internet and landline off and on for ages. Very frustrating as my mother was ill in the Uk and I relied on ringing her each day sometimes 2 or 3 times. Also we have a pet sitting business and people e mail us all the time and so it was all a bit of a nightmare. Then there was the time when somone else had our phone number, crossed line took ages to sort out. Ages afterwards we found out that if you ring Telecom and they do not fix your line within 48 hours you are due compensation. They must owe us a small fortune. Touch wood we are doing ok at the moment but who knows. It is Italy !!!!!!

20 Apr 2011
Kevin

Yes, our bill is for 2 months. Glad we get paid COLA! :)

That's not couting the amound of money I spend for Agip coupons!

21 Apr 2011
robert

I don't know why people use the nex residential services they do a approx. of what you use and then add in a service fee. get the bill sent to your local address and save buckets of money.

21 Apr 2011
Kevin

It saves $120 a year!

$10 a month x's 12

22 Apr 2011
Angel

hi robert..  during the orientation we were given the impression that you save through NEX residential services because you don't pay taxes. Good to know. We will talk to our prospective landlord to just continue the electric service under his name and we will just pay for it. (or is this a bad idea? haha)
@Kevin, $120 a year, that's a lot!..plus we also have to consider the exchange rate difference.

22 Apr 2011
Amanda

Be sure to write in your contract that you want your landlord to get you internet within a few months otherwise you will never get it. Licola is terrible right now for internet, everyone will tell you no. We live in licola and we finally went with tre which is a wireless cube. do not plan on getting a landline for a long time. good luck

25 Apr 2011
Davina

This is all good information to know since i guess at orientation, they told my husband it isnt worth living off base, I want to live off base. Do you all suggest living on or off base? I know we could get a larger place for the BAH we get rather than just have a  2 bedroom on base...suggestions please

25 Apr 2011
robert

http://www.naplesallhands.com/forum/msg.aspx?msg=2684 check out Nicola He is willing to help out. There are some areas that are Very hard to get internet at, He will do most to all of the leg work. He can also show you how to setup your enel bill

27 Apr 2011
Angel

Hi Carol
Are you still petsitting? We have a small dog and wanted to find out more details on your services.
How much do you charge per day? Do you have dogs yourself?
Thanks!
Angel

28 Apr 2011
Carol

HI Angel

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we are still pet sitting. Do a search for vip pet sitters Naples. I think we are the top or near the top on there.Not allowed to put the web address on here. I do have 2 Chinese Chow Chow dogs myself. They are laid back and sociable. We live upstaris and the boarders and downstairs with access to the outside. We also do petsitting at your home, very popular and we also provide and overnight service and comfort breaks during the day. We are full for the next few weeks but during the summer we are offering a 10% discount on pet sitting jobs. We charge for boarding 13 Euros per night. For pet sitting services have a look at our web site.

Hope this helps

Carol

12 Jul 2011
Eddie

Hello everyone. My family and I will be arriving in a few weeks and have a few places that we have lined up to look at if they are not rented by the time we get there.

From some of the comments mentioned above it sounds like its worth trying to get a few things added to the lease contract if the landlord is willing to do so. I believe someone mentioned bottled water and internet.

My question is if its worth having utilities included in the lease? It doesnt seem like we'll use up all $1200 of the utility and recurring maintenance allowance. Some of the figures listed here sound a lot lower than that. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks.

12 Jul 2011
Mary Jane

If you want to live off base, make sure you do your hunting and ultimately your lease through the housing office. You said you already have some places lined up to look at; this is exactly the sort of prep work we would do moving to a new base in the States, but you need to work through the housing office here. Some places/areas that look great are literally unsafe to live in because of water or soil contamination (everywhere in town you will be told to use only bottled water, but some places are considered unsafe even beyond that) or are simply off limits because so many homes have been broken into (some of these you can sign a waiver for, but I'm not sure how insurance handles it).

Above all, plan for the process to take longer than it needs to take and seem frustrating.  Things here simply don't work like they do in the States.  The housing office is largely manned by the Italians, so there's no way around the local culture.  If you can lower your expectations for customer service and efficiency before you get here, it will save you A LOT of grief (I'm not saying to lower your expectations for finding a great place to live, but simply that the process is very conveluted).

13 Jul 2011
Eddie

Yes, I will definately use the housing office. The realty company I spoke with, Sea View, says they work with the housing office but I will make sure before I actually look at anything with them. Our concern right now is finding a safe area and getting an idea of how much utilities range. Thanks for the response.