follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Off Topic » NEX Optometry
27 Mar 2011
thomas
NEX Optometry

Hi - if anyone's thinking of going to the NEX Optometry for glasses, esp. Kids glasses, I'd like to offer some advise: DON'T!!!!

It's a long story... but my son has worn glasses since he was 3 and every pair of glasses we've ever gotten cost about $150-$200 US Dollars and last a year or more, before we have updated teh prescription and then kept the old glasses as back-up's.

Well, when we got his glasses at the NEX Optometry we paid, gulp..450 EURO!! and the glasses have been CRAP. Everything has gone wrong w/ them from the little rubber nose feet rubbing off to screws falling out... and we've had them now for less than 6 months. And not even summer months, really, when kids are more active outside, etc. I just had to spend ANOTHER $50 to replace the frames, because the folks at the same NEX shop had put too big a screw into the old frames and stripped it out!

Do me a favor, do yourself a favor - don't buy anything from this shop!!

27 Mar 2011
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Re: NEX Optometry

The last pair of glasses we got for our sone cost us $620.00 yes you read right!!!   Since then we still get mine and our 2 kids prescriptions filled from the hospital, bought the frames out in town and shipped them back to the U.S. to get filled.  3 pairs of glasses (both my kids and mine) cost us $530 total and that was with the skinny lenses and the transition sun glass tint. The base shop is way expensive, we stopped buying there after our $620.00 bill!!

28 Mar 2011
KB

Yep, I paid over $450 for mine and when I was able to pick them up (1 month after ordering) they were all wrong. The lenses weren't the ones I paid for, nor were they the correct perscription, and I had to wait another months for them to get sent back and fixed. Since having the lenses replaced the frames have fallen apart 3 times from screws falling out. I would recommend against purchasing glasses from the NEX as well, save the money and just get someone in the states to do it.

28 Mar 2011
JoAnne

Before this last pair the glasses we bought from there always came back quickly but we did have problems with the quality of the frames and screws coming loose and falling out.  The only reason we went back and got a pair for my son was he needed them so the convenience out weighed the cost.  I am just glad we are now PCSing back to the states where we will have a choice of places and prices.

For anyone else if you can wait to buy I would send the prescription back to the states and have it filled there.

30 Mar 2011
Nichole

The NEX Optical is very expensive.  There are places off base that are less expensive.  In addition, the eye clinic at the hospital  can not only do your eye exam, but give you a list of places that you can order your glasses on line.  When you recieve your glasses we will be happy to check them for you (no appointment is necessary).   

30 Mar 2011
thomas

Wow, and I thought it was just me! Thanks for the posts.

Especially the parts about screws constantly falling out - I can not begin to recount how many times we took these glasses in for new screws...last time the nice young gal put in oversized screws which had nuts on teh ends, which of course stripped out the frames which subsequently broke. The store manager insisted none of his personnel would have done that and it was my tinkering that broke them.

I have been encouraged to write a letter to the NEX Manager, which I hope to get around to doing if/when Colonel Khadaffi permits.

I'll let you know how I make out!

01 Apr 2011
M.

Thomas ~ Absolutely, DO contact the General Manager at the NEX (he may refer you to the manager who is in charge of concessions).  I had a HORRIBLE experience with one of the other concessions, for a similar issue (they did something that damaged my merchandise and then denied it).  I know how it works on the economy, unfortunately.  The NEX management got involved and the issue was addressed and fixed immediately. :)  Good luck!

01 Apr 2011
M.

I also wanted to say that OTTICA MATTIELLO downtown Gricignano, on the main street, has wonderful customer service and prices.  I have only purchased a couple of items there, but have been extremely pleased every time.

01 Apr 2011
Cat

39dollarglasses.com....I went to this website after my visit for a checkup....I was really leary about buying glasses online...but after talking to a few people...I tried it out...You pick out a pair of frames and you can actually print up the frames and I compared them to the ones I have.  I then went on www.retailmenot.com an found a coupon for www.39dollarglasses.com and paid around 120.00.

Hopefully this helps...for future purchases.

03 Apr 2011
Mary

I used www.eyebuydirect.com and love my glasses! They have frames as low as $7. I got the thinnest lense available and $20 frames and spent less that $150 with shipping!

09 Apr 2011
Elissa

If you go to the hospital to get your eye exam ( you know where its free and all that jazz) they will tell you they are working VERY HARD to get the NEX optometry out of there. Its over priced and just .... bad business. I went about 2 months ago they gave me my persription, plus a list of websites that ship APO/FPO. I bought 3 pairs of glasses for under 60 bucks with shipping. I got them, and I was very happy with them. As said above eyebuydirect.com is one, next time you  are in the hospital stop by and pick up one of the papers. If you are wary about shopping online, get over it ... would you rather pay 7 bucks ... and have someone screw up or 600? 

07 Jul 2014
loder

We ONLY buy our glasses online, from http://www.glassesshop.com/
No problems whatsoever.