follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Education » Illegal In Home Day Care
24 Feb 2011
A
Illegal In Home Day Care

I would just like to make everyone on base that is running a day care out of their homes aware that they are operating illegally. The only people that are allowed to run day care programs out of their homes are the Child Development Home Providers. These providers have gone through extensive training, back ground checks, home inspections, CPR and First Aid training. They also go to training once a month to further their ability to responsibly care for children. To the people that are operating illegally, you are in risk of losing your housing and other serious issues. And to the parents that are sending their children to these illegal day cares, you are running the risk by putting your child with someone who is not properly trained. These people that run illegal day cares do NOT have their homes inspected. And it has been noticed that one illegal day care's home is unclean and not suitable for children. Also, to the parents, you actually save money by sending your child to a Child Development Home or the CDC.

25 Feb 2011
Angela
More than 50 messages post
Re: Illegal In Home Day Care

Please explain to me how we "save money" at the CDC?? They wanted $1000 for my children to go there, and then refused to feed my child while she was there because of her allergies. I pulled my children from there and will never send them there again.

Also, that is the most disgusting place and not all of the people there care for children properly either, no matter how much training they have had. There are some good people who do care, but not all of them are like that.

If its such a great place, why do they have such a high turn over?? Why do they not have enough workers to care for the children, and have higher caregiver/child ratio than they are supposed to???

Also, if you have a part time job, you are not eligible for anything at the cdc other than drop in care, which is hard to get because there is not enough workers.....

So, you are left with little choices of a "safe and healthy" and "affordable" childcare, especially since there are so few full time jobs offered on this base for spouses.

Honestly, i think this base has bigger things to worry about and its obvious that these so called "policies" are not enforced anyways so i really dont see "people losing housing" because no one cares ehough to enforce the policies.

25 Feb 2011
Christina

@ A -

May I ask why you were so inclined to "make everyone...aware"? Each

(childcare) situation is unique and unless you personally know what it

is you really shouldn't comment. For various reasons one cannot always get

their children into the CDC or a CDH. Are we supposed to just stay home all the

time or have multiple sitters? There's a lot of trust involved in childcare,

for the child and the parents. It’s a very personal decision.

Angela has many good points. Although three of my children attended a CDC from

6 weeks on there's NO WAY I'd use the one on the Support Site! I am on the list

as an emergency/alternate pick-up for a friend's child. I am appalled at the

lack of security and organization there. Three times I have picked up my friend’s

daughter and three times I had to ask if they wanted to see my ID. Twice the

person at the desk had no idea where to check for pick-up authorization. That’s

just UNSAT!

Bottom line, we should all worry about our own problems and

not get caught up in what our “neighbors” are doing.

25 Feb 2011
M.
More than 100 messages post

My guess would be that she got certified and she may not be getting as many customers as she'd like.  It didn't sound like an informative post, but rather a disgruntled one.

27 Feb 2011
samantha

I'm Certified CDH provider and I have kids right now so M I think you have what A was trying to say wrong. I understand and agree with people not wanting to take your kids to the CDC. I will not put my own child there,that is why  I became a CDH provider so I can be with my child  and work,but If I was not in CDH I would put my child in a cdh and if that was available  then yes I would do CDC, these fake daycares on base do not have daycare insurance,if something happens to your child in their care  it won't be their responsibly .Oh and YES YOU DO SAVE MONEY BY COMING TO THE CDH 20% AND IF YOU HAVE A 2ND CHILD YOU CAN GET 20% OFF THAT CHILD AS WELL,DEPENDING ON YOUR LES.Every family is a case by case. So I wouldn't knock the CDH until you have tried it. As for you fake daycare providers Their always doing classes to become certified  and you don't pay anything so why not?? Yes you can lose your housing if it gets that far. I don't know a 3000 euro fine, husband ranking and housing is not worth it to me. I'm very happy with being a cdh provider and would be more then willing to answer any questions or concerns about this topic , It seems some don't have all the facts.

28 Feb 2011
Angela

Well, all i can say is that i have TRIED the cdc and have found them very lacking. I also have known many friends who worked there, who quit for various reasons, which i wont and cant go into. My "facts" come from my experiences and what i have heard first hand that goes on there.

I am sorry, but i KNOW my childern are safer where they are at now. And how is charging a family 1000 a month for childcare saving money????? That is more than i make a month at my job, which means i would be losing more money which i can not afford to do.

No one is "losing my business" since i am not elligible anyways, and these so called discounts dont cut it. Plus, i am not paying somewhere to take my child and not FEED THEM FOR 8 HOURS!!!

I dont trust the cdc, they are too expensive, poorly run, and are not qualified or safe.

As far as in home care, well that would be wonderful, but im not elligible.

So exactly what would you have us do??? Not hold jobs because we are not allowed to have cdc "privliages".

Please!!!!

And i guess these teens that babysit are "illegal" also??? Now i cant enjoy a night out child free with my huband because i am paying a teen to watch my child and not paying the cdc???

Really i think you guys should lay off. Many people operate "businesses" that they should not be and advertise their services on this site. We all know it happens, the base is aware. No one is going to lose their housing over it. The base doesnt even follow italian laws.

28 Feb 2011
samantha

Like I said I understand  the issue about the CDC,but CDC AND CDH are totally different  and anyone can get into the cdh as long as there is not a waiting list of course, you said your a working mom so right there you could get in if and only you wanted to . I had a family who the dad was working and the mom was thinking about going to school and she was able full time cdh care. as far as baby sitters they can watch a child up to 10 hours a week and you can have someone watch your kids in your own home. I can not speak too much on the CDC ,cause I'm not apart of it. I'm CDH and I know how it is ran and I know families save money   by coming to me 20 to 40% is a big difference  I don't think 480 for two kids full time is insane and that is just one example,but it is based on different cases and the les or w2. 

Again I agree and understand how you and some other feel about the CDC,but their is other good care then fake daycares.  but I look at it as you pay for what you get! If you happy thats all that matters I just think some people where taking what A was saying the wrong way. It's none of my business where people take their children,but I think they should know the facts and if they think nothing will be done then their sadly mistaken and I know it for FACT!  Were all parents I'm sure and we all want what's best for our child and families!
 I wish and hope for the best and God Bless.

28 Feb 2011
Angela

I will explain this for you so you can understand. My children first were in the CDH, the provider decided to go work for the CDC so my  children were transfered over to the CDC. At that time i was told, since i was only a part time worker (even though i work nearly full time hours), that i was ineligeble to be in either the CDC or the CDH.

So no, i can not get into the CDH, i had to sign paperwork stating that i had 60 days to find a full time job or i could not recieve care with either the CDC or the CDH. Since there are very few full time jobs open on this base, and those jobs are VERY competitive, then its pretty useless, especially since that means i would no longer be able to work in my career field. They said i could always come work at the CDC, which i would never do.

On top of this, they expect me to pay them $1000 a month, which is generally more than i make and that is WITH the discount. so this in no way saves me money, since i am paying out more than i bring in, and what is the point in having a job if you are LOSING money??

And another thing, they refuse to feed my child while she is in the cdc or cdh programs because of her allergies. Firrst they were feeding her things that were making her allergies flare up, then wanted paperwork from the doc in order to not feed her things she was allergic to, which i got for them. Once they recieved the paperwork from the doctor stating what she could not eat, they decided it wasnt "legal" for them to feed her ANYTHING while she was there, If i wanted my child to eat during the day, i had to prepare all of her food ahead of time, mixing everything together, as they could not mix anything (like say water and oatmeal). I had to take her drinks, including water or juice, if i wanted her to be able to eat the snacks with the kids.

So basically i would be paying 1000 to someone plus having to provide all food and drinks in order to have care at either a cdc or cdh provider. that is in no way saving me money and it is in no way safe or healthy for my child. Plus i would have to find another job which was full time, which would cause me to be paying EVEN MORE money to them a month.

Everytime i went in there it was beyond stressfull because everyday their was an issue. I will not take my children back there as it is not healthy, it is not affordable, and your arguments are completely useless.

28 Feb 2011
samantha

Well I'm sorry that happen to you then but this is now and I know MORE about this then you and I could careless and i'm not arguing so there for there is no argument. I was stating the points and facts. I'm not backing the CDC. Nor do I care about this topic anymore. I know whats happening RIGHT NOW. Everyone situation is different and that is something you NEED to understand YOU are NOT everyone. Just cause you have had this tragic problem with the CDC OR CDH doesn't mean everyone else will. You are entitle to your opinion. 

28 Feb 2011
samantha

and for the record it's 90 days. I don't know how long ago you went through all this but I know now it's 90 days to find a job or go to school. my Child care is healthy, safe and great development!! Not every CDH  is the same that's the thing about it your basing your argument off the one cdh provider. I know if it was me I would change the whole menu to meet the needs of every child. 

28 Feb 2011
Angela

Once again, you are completely not understanding what i am saying.

I KNOW it is 90 days, however since my children had all ready been in the cdc for 30 days amd been in the cdh 30 days PRIOR to going to the cdc, i was given 60 days.  I was not told UPFRONT that i was not eligilble for care, no, they waited until my kids had been there for 60 days before they dropped that info on me. Which left me in the position of either quitting my job or finding childcare.

This all happened in September, so not much has changed in those few months, except their prices went up.

MY POINT, is that there are SOME of us who hold a job and NOT ELIGIBLE for the cdc or cdh. So we are left to find alternative choices for childcare. You cant come on here saying how wonderful the cdc or cdh is and how NO ONE should find other alternatives. You keep saying that everyones situation is different and I agree, Some of us CAN NOT USE the cdc. So we have to find others willing to watch our children. We dont deserve to be told how "illegal" it is and how "bad" for our children it is.

People are saying you SAVE money, when this is not really the case unless you are very low ranked. If your spouse is middle to high ranking, then they charge you the full price (not the subsidised price) and 20% is not a lot of money when we are talking about the cost being more money than you make a month.

I am NOT BASING ANYTHING OFF the CDH provider. I am basing my posts off the fact that the original post said:

we should all be using the cdc or cdh, when not all of us can,

that we are harming our children by not putting them in the cdc, and this is not true

that we can save money, when this is again not true.

and that people are going to lose housing, which again, is not true, since MANY people operate business on and off base. They even have a facebook page.

I am sorry, but the cdc and cdh are not always possible, and for some of us, we have to find others who are willing to watch our child so that we may hold jobs, go out on a date night, go to the doctor, dentist etc.

Yes everyones situation is different, so dont come on here screaming and ranting because some of us have situations where the cdc and cdh are not an option. I understand that some people want the cdc and that is fine for them, but i didnt come on here screaming at them for using the cdc, you and A came on here screaming at those of us who are not. Which is unwarrented and very unneccesary.

28 Feb 2011
samantha

I'm sorry you have a attitude problem,but ma am No one is screaming about anything.I'm a very calm and carefree person.This does not bother me.  I was just telling you what I KNOW .You can sit on naples all hands and argue about this all day long,but they do not care about other businesses just child care cause they are not insured.

01 Mar 2011
Concerned

Dear "A",

First off, do you have children of your own?  How do you become an expert on childcare or children because you work for a daycare center?  I've read the comments posted above and it is true, the people that watch your children really could care less about other people's children...it's just a job.  The only people that take a personal interest in the kids are the Italian nationals, and they don't work there anymore.

Besides, watching children for a few hours a day or taking care of children on a weekend for someone is called "babysitting".  I think that is what most people do on this base.  The daycare is overpriced for what you get, and even when you know that your children eat there...by the daily reports you receive, you don't know "what" they eat because its never listed on there.  As far as saving money by taking your kids to daycare...you spend a majority of your paycheck paying for daycare, even if you have two incomes.  Having somewhere to take your children while you work, is a godsend...trust me.  But when you feel that you are spending over a $1,000 a month on shabby childcare, it makes you wonder if there was an alternative on base to send your children.

01 Mar 2011
Angela

I am sorry, i dont have an attitude problem, you dont seem to be able to understand what i am typing. And yes i consider it screaming at people when someone comes on here ranting and raving about how we are hurting our children and how illegal it is. The other businesses are just as "illegal" as the day cares, simply due to the SOFA, not just because they are not insured.

The base is well aware of what is going on and they do not do anything about it. I have been here 3 years and it has been going on the whole time and will continue even when i leave. They certainly dont go door to door checking on how many pets people have, and i dont see them going door to door asking if people are babysitting kids. No one is losing housing over this because the base doesnt care enough to support its own policies. Just look at the trash and pet policies for confirmation.

And like i said, if having other people babysit your kids is so illegal, then why are the teens allowed to go through "babysitter" classes at the FFSC and post up their services on base? They dont have insurance, yet the base is fully aware that these kids are offering babysitting services. I see no difference.

Dont get all high and mighty on people just because you are a CDH provider and want others to come to you, when not all situations allow them to. Not everyone can afford their high prices, not everyones schedule meshes with the cdc's (or cdh's) and not everyone has the choice to go to cdc or cdh for various reasons. I know MANY parents who were not satisfied with the level of care they recieved through the cdc. So just drop it because no one really cares. We all do what is best for our families and our own situation. We dont need lectures on how illegal and bad it is, especially from cdh providers,  when the base offers no other alternatives, and will not allow you to use the cdc or cdh, or the waiting list is too long, or .....whatever reason.

01 Mar 2011
samantha

I'm not high in mighty cause I'm a CDH provider, I do not want others to come to me. I have enough and it is going great. JUST CAUSE IT DIDN'T WORK OUT FOR YOU DOESN'T MEAN IT WON'T WORK OUT FOR OTHERS!!! I don't care what the cdc does I'AM NOT THE CDC! I work with my parents and their needs. You write these long comments back and forth and it doesn't mean anything to me. I was stating what A was trying to say and you turned it into this. Again I'am not ranting and raving.You do not know me and do not know how I'am so therefor do not judge I was just saying what I know as of right now. You say drop it but look at your comments.  s far as the baby sitter for teens goes, they do get cpr and first aid cert and its only for 10 HOURS A WEEK! I'am done with this topic. Everyone wants something for nothing I would not pay a fake daycare provider for my child to watch tv and play all day.Have a great day and God Bless!!!

05 Apr 2011
Katherine

I just have a quick question. How does one go about finding a CDH provider. Or an illegal daycare for that matter? I'd like to possibly take a job, but childcare is my main concern...

05 Apr 2011
Angela

For a CDH provider you simply go to the CDC and get on the list. If a spot is available at the CDH provider then you do the paper work (some with CDC and some with CDH) and start your care wit the CDH.

As for what people are calling "illegal day care", that is simply a friend who watches your children for you, either paid or unpaid. You dont have to go and find them, but if you ask a friend to watch your kids for you, and they live on base, then they are an "illegal day care". The policy specifically states more than 10 hours per week, however, people are being turned in for as little as 2 hours per week.

But the only spots available at this time are with Samantha. So that is why she is pushing so hard on this issue now.

And if you are a part time worker, you are not elligible for CDC or CDH care. You may have an intital 90 days of care, but what good does that do?? Or you may do drop in care, but that is not reliable as they do not have spots available all the time, and drop in care at the CDC can not be guarenteed past 1:30 pm since that is when the Sure Start Kids get out of school.

So unless you have a full time position, or have both kids in school, you pretty much have very limitied choices for care that is close to the support site.

06 Apr 2011
TCB

Home day care can take anyone they want, but obviously would prefer full time working parents as it's consistency for them.  The CDC has to take only military single and duel first and then military with a full time working spouse, it has to provide for the mission essential first and fore most.  The CDC does have Mon through Fri part day program which is wonderful for the kids and gives none working parents a break for 2-1/2 hours.
People who watch friends kids and don't get paid or doing a friend a favor baby sitting for them to get their hair or nails done, go on a day trip or to the market etc.  People who watch kids in their homes and get paid for it or running an illegal day care.  Regardless of what others who sell have parties etc out of their homes CDH is their for a reason to keep kids safe.  Even teenage baby sitters have to go through the CPR/First Aid class.  "If" something were to happen to a child minor or serious can you immagine what the spouse would go through for running a paid day care in the housing units and to then to the military member not to mention how the parents would feel of the child who got hurt.  There are way too many risks involved to take such a chance as it only takes one time for a tragedy to happen and then it's all over but for the crying, finger pointing and blame.

06 Apr 2011
Angela

TCB, have you read the policy at all??

Its specifically states that people wacthing kids over 10 hours per week PAID OR UNPAID are running "unauthorized daycare" so it doesnt matter if it is a teen or an adult, or if you pay them or not, by policy it is still considered day care.

And, you are not eligible for care in a CDH unless you are full time, you may have drop off care, but spots are not guarenteed. So for me, i have a part time job, and a military spouse, and i am STILL not eligible for a guaranteed spot in care at either provider.

Like I said, i can do drop off until 1:30 or drop off at a CDH provider, but those spots are not guaranteed, even if you make a reservation. Call the CDC and ask them yourselves. I just discussed this with them on Friday. 

06 Apr 2011
TCB

Its specifically states that people wacthing kids over 10 hours per week PAID OR UNPAID are running "unauthorized daycare" so it doesnt matter if it is a teen or an adult, or if you pay them or not, by policy it is still considered day care.

Yes! OVER 10 hours a week not under. 

And, you are not eligible for care in a CDH unless you are full time, you may have drop off care, but spots are not guarenteed. So for me, i have a part time job, and a military spouse, and i am STILL not eligible for a guaranteed spot in care at either provider.

Yes, but you or anyone else can still go into a CDH under the 90 day rule in order to look for full time employment.  The only time you may get bumped from a full time job is if somene comes in with spousal preference, ex military or your not fully qualified.

Like I said, i can do drop off until 1:30 or drop off at a CDH provider, but those spots are not guaranteed, even if you make a reservation. Call the CDC and ask them yourselves. I just discussed this with them on Friday.

I know about that, but the CDC has to take care of the full time working members/spouses first. I know it may not seem fair but there has to be a line drawn and limitations. The CDC does NOT make the rules on how many children can be in a class and if those classes are filled up then there is nothing they can do about it.  The CDC follows guidelines like any other buisness here and state side.  I know a lot of people grumble about them but sad to say they can't please everyone.  Before coming overseas these are all the options that need to be weighed up, day care, schools, home school, on and off base daycare there is so much to consider and if things don't always go the way everyone wants them to, it's not necessarily an establishments fault i.e. again the CDC they do not make these rules.  But the rules which are made are done for a reason.

06 Apr 2011
Angela

Unfortunately, I know for a FACT that people have been turned in who were "doing a favor" for a friend and were watching kids for only 2 hours per week so the parent could attend a class. That parent had to drop out of the class because they could not have care, they dont work and CDH and CDC could not guarentee them the hours so they could attend the class. So just because it is "under 10 hours" doesnt mean you wont get turned in.

Also, please tell me how the 90 days care helps, since it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a full time job in 90 days at this intallation?? Many of the openings for full time jobs are not even published, and the hiring process typically takes more than 90 days, by the time you submit the application, wait for them to close the date, look at the apps, find someone qualified, contact you, set up the interview, do the back ground checks, and then wait on them to offer you the job. Even for my PART time job, it took 4 months until all of that was done. Plus, there is NO GUARENTEE that you will find a full time job within those 90 days and you are once again stuck scambling to find child care. Really it is a temporary fix and there is no guarentee that you will find anythiing other than part time work. Unless of course, you wish to work at the CDC.

I understand the priority list and agree with it. What i dont agree with, is people on this base who refuse to understand that there are not a lot of options on this base for parents of no school age children. There are few day care options available, there are very few programs that cater to this demographic, and yet we struggle to live a life here and do what is best for our family.

I am sorry but the cdc and the cdh are not equipped or staffed to handle every family's needs. And yet we are punished and penalized for looking for other options. And shame on the other people who make us feel like we are doing things wrong. I for one tried their "90 days of care" and still 8 months later have not found a full time job which i qualify for, (because you have to hold a GS or equivivelent job) and am still left struggling with day care options.

I have 2 degrees, i have certificates coming out the wazoo, and still i dont qualify for many positions here, so exactly what are we supposed to do???

06 Apr 2011
mary

This is so rediculous!  We are all supposed to look out for one another and all this is, is a bunch of bickering about who does what better than who.  We can't have anyone watch our kids because the people who don't even have kids can't put themselves in someone else's shoes and be understanding.  There are not many options here, why don't we all try to work together instead of calling security for every dumb thing?  Someday, those people will need someone, and no-one will be there for them.  So what if you have a sitter for a couple of hours a day during the week.  I just dn't understand the mentality of someone calling security for day care violations when there aren't any other options!  This whole post just infuriates me beyond belief.  Parents obviously entrust the care of their children to certain people, so why is that anyone else's business????

07 Apr 2011
Fey

I strongly agree with Mary !

07 Apr 2011
Tim and Kristina

I strongly agree with Mary we are suppose to all be family were Military here.

07 Apr 2011
TCB

I understand everyones frustration "however" there are laws in place for a reason (read below) And for all the children who have been hurt or worse died in illigal day cares I bet their parents felt comfortbale leaving their kids at the beginning! Things can happen and do!  As for as jobs go, and i know many of us need to work.  If you can't find a 40 hour a week job so you can place your kids in day care then maybe you need to look out in town or look for a job at night when your husbands are home OK! I know I will now hear well my husband works every night or my husband is deployed, I know I am going to get back lash for that but as a parent  you have to make the best choice for your child and situation.  I know when my kids were little with my first one I worked at a CDC and had him with me, when my 2nd came along I stayed home but worked at night around my husbands schedule,  I also sold on eBay.  I am not saying this is right for everyone but I made it work for us.  Rather than moaning and groaning about what we don't have here look around and see what we do have and try and make it work.

With more and more people needing daycare centers, people are choosing to start their own centers at home. It is a great idea to make use of your home and earn some money but also to spend time with your own children and other children. However, there are many laws that you must adhere to when starting a home daycare center, and you need to ensure that each of these laws is in place within your home prior to starting your business.

Significance:

Among the most important laws, is to get yourself a license. This is to ensure you are qualified to do the job and that you are paying the government taxes as you should be. All cities require that businesses be licensed, whether in the home or otherwise. This helps them keep track of what businesses are trading in what cities. ChildCare.gov is a great place to visit to find out the many details involved with licensing, as it can be quite confusing and vary from location to location.

Potential:

Once you have licensed your home daycare center, another law you must think about is whether or not you have a criminal record. You must not have a criminal record if you are thinking of starting a home daycare center. Families who will potentially use your daycare services may request a copy of your criminal record at any time.

Considerations:

A home inspection will ensure that your house is completely safe for the children that you are going to care for. It is the size of your home that will dictate the amount of children you can care for at any one time in a safe and secure manner, and if you were to take in more children than allowed, you could be held liable for any incidents that should occur.

Prevention/Solution:

Safety inspections will follow your home inspection, and once again, this is to ensure that all children are safe and protected while within your care. Your home and also your garden or yard will be looked at and checked by strict regulations to ensure that the children cannot get out or be harmed in any way, and they will also check to make sure you have adequate exits in case of fire, plus smoke alarms and a carbon monoxide alarm.

Expert Insight:

Home daycare laws need to be kept by at all times, and nothing is more so than insurance. These must, without fail, be kept completely up to date at all times that you are running your daycare center. Accidents will always happen, and this is more so with children, and if this should happen, and another parent finds you negligent, you could find yourself in trouble.

If you are planning to have many children in your home, inspection allowing, of course, then you need to take into account whether or not you can take care of them all by yourself. Hiring staff is a good way to be able to deal with more children, and a second pair of hands will always come in handy, especially when kids are concerned

07 Apr 2011
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

This is just me but I would NEVER have put my kids in an illigal day care, statistics show that the majority of children who are kidnapped and murdered or by someone close to the family.  Just imagine what someone could do if you don't know them, just a thought. Below is somthing I found on line which I think speak volumes.

The Quality of Care Affects Young Children:

The quality of child care can have a positive or negative influence on a child. Studies show that the quality of care children receive during the early years of life has an enduring impact on their ability to learn and, thus, their future well-being. Children in low quality child care have a higher likelihood of being delayed in language and reading skills and of displaying more aggression toward other children and adults.  Meanwhile, children who attend higher quality programs evidence more positive outcomes,  such as higher levels of cognitive functioning and intellectual development,  better language development, and more advanced social development. Moreover, these positive outcomes are found in studies of various designs and even when other important predictor variables are controlled for, such as the mother’s education level and family income level.  And a major study released in 1999 found that the benefits of high-quality child care (people who have been trained) in the early years can last at least until the elementary school years.  Researchers found that “the quality of child care experienced by children before they entered school continued to affect their development at least through kindergarten and in many cases through the end of second grade

Conclusion:

Quality child care is important for a number of reasons: At least one third of preschoolers are in child care currently; more children are likely to enter child care in the future as labor force participation among females increases and welfare reform unfolds; and a significant body of research shows that the quality of care can have a fundamental effect on the child, parents, and the wider public. Given the importance of quality child care, we present data in the next chapter on the availability and affordability of quality child care in the U.S..

07 Apr 2011
Angela

TCB, I am sure you mean well, but you are not getting the point.

I am not uspet about the laws, i am most upset about the people who cant keep their noses in their own business and have to "turn people in", and then try and make us feel bad for finding a FRIEND (not an daycare or someone running a day care but a friend whom you have known for a while!) to watch our children.

You say find a job in town, THAT IS ILLEGAL AND AGAINST THE SOFA, spouses are only allowed to work on base. That means that there is much competition for the same small amount of jobs and no where else to look.

You say "work at night" well, i am sorry but there is only one place that stays open late, the bowling alley, all part time work. And you run the risk of not being able to go to work if your husband has to  work late or work duty nights, or is otherwise not able to come home. Because of course you cant have a FREIND watch your child.

You say sell off ebay, well what exactly are you supposed to sell on ebay in this bad economy?? People arent really buying a whole lot of useless used crap off ebay anymore. I have a friend who does monograming, sewing, and such, and she is barely making enough money to cover her costs. So "make your own random junk to sell" just wont work, especially oconus where the shipping prices can be quite high.

Again, i am not upset about the rules, what i am upset most about is the people who have nothing better to do than to tell me how to parent or how to raise my children. I am also upset that the base picks and chooses which rules to enforce and when they actually want to enforce them. It also is very political and they pick and choose who has to follow the rules.

The policies here are very hit and miss, sometimes they enforce them but most of the time they dont. But then someone complains and gets their panties all in a bunch, and suddenly we are back to enforcing the policy. I can name many policies and laws that are being broken by the base right now, but they dont care to enforce it. So why pick this one and now?? Why do people in this community feel they need to report every single little thing, rather than worry about their own lives??? I would have never moved here if i knew beforehand how bad the situation was here.

And by the way, the cdc has people working for them that have no qualifications whatsoever to be working with children other than what the red cross supposedly gave them. So please dont tell me my children are "safe" at the cdc.

08 Apr 2011
Christina

I totally agree with Mary! Oh, and Angela, your last post is right on!!

18 May 2011
cl

There are both pros and cons with CDH CDC and other child care options. No one has mentioned off base care.  I have had a nice experience with an off base daycare.  Because I did not qualify for full or part time on-base care, I had to look elsewhere.

02 Dec 2011
WC

Our daughter attends an Italian preschool and we love it.  However, we have another baby due and I've been hired for a much needed part time position at the Support Site that is a perfect fit for me.  I don't mind staying home raising our next child, in fact, it's a privilege.  I'm also retired and don't need a job, this is an opportunity for me to give something meaningful back to the community.  However, I never thought I wouldn't qualify for child care because the position is part-time!  What are dependents, who find decent part-time employment, to do for child care if they can't legally have it?  This isn't like our previous stateside duty station where, because of a long waiting list, we simply went off-base.  Off-base child care is not possible for many families here.  The CDC needs to face the music, the reason there is illegal on-base child care is because there is a legitimate need for part time care!  A change like this also requires changing OPNAV INSTRUCTION 1700.9E, again 200 years of Naval tradition will be unmarred by progress...  I may be forced to turn down a job I really want because I can't get LEGAL child care.  I'll look off-base for infant care, but I don't think it's likely.