follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Education » Montessori or International school experience
10 Feb 2011
Melissa
Montessori or International school experience

If you have first hand experience with either the Montessori School or the International School that are located on the NATO base can you please share?

I am looking for your personal experience,  Good or Bad.

Thank you :)

23 Feb 2011
ANON
Re: Montessori or International school experience

Melissa,

The best way to determine which school is best for you is to visit them and meet with the teachers who would be teaching your child(ren). 

My kids attend the Montessori school.  What type of information are you looking for?

26 Feb 2011
Paul

My 2 teenagers go to the International School. Nice friendly atmosphere. Many different cultures to learn and compare.

When everyone moves from JFC, they are putting on busses to bring kids in from the new JFC Base in Lago Patria

10 Feb 2012
Jennifer

I am really thinking about putting both my kids in the Montessori school.  It will cost us alot and i just want to make sure it is worth it.Does anyone know if the Montessori school will be moving to the new jfc (lago patria) in sept.?

19 Feb 2012
Holland

Rumor is Montessori will NOT be moving to the new JFC location in Lago.    As for international school, are you asking about the one at JFC or the International School of Lago?  I had my daughters in the Intern'l School at Lago for over 6 mos, pulled them out because of admin reasons to name a few, the school does not communicate well with parents, does not allow you to bring your kids in later than 10am after a doc's appt.  Headmaster is very inflexible, can't talk to her on the phone, have to schedule appt and come in, no matter the issue or concern.  We lost a lot of money with the initial investment in supplies, uniforms, and ultimately unused tuition, but definitely glad we left.  I do NOT recommend them!Good luck in your search! 

19 Feb 2012
Cristina
Re: Re: Montessori or International school experience

Holland wrote:
Rumor is Montessori will NOT be moving to the new JFC location in Lago.    As for international school, are you asking about the one at JFC or the International School of Lago?  I had my daughters in the Intern'l School at Lago for over 6 mos, pulled them out because of admin reasons to name a few, the school does not communicate well with parents, does not allow you to bring your kids in later than 10am after a doc's appt.  Headmaster is very inflexible, can't talk to her on the phone, have to schedule appt and come in, no matter the issue or concern.  We lost a lot of money with the initial investment in supplies, uniforms, and ultimately unused tuition, but definitely glad we left.  I do NOT recommend them!Good luck in your search! 

It's not a rumor, I talked to the Principal and they will not move to Lago.

As for the International School of Lago, I had the same bad experience: no communication at all with the family, the Principal is unpolite and rude (especially if you do not agree on something), a waste of money and too much stress on my little one (she was screamed at and totally left behind). Classes are too full and they do not allowed you to see your kid during the day. A waste of money! I took out my daughter after 5 months. It's been two years now. My daughter goes to  the Daniel Defoe School in Varcaturo.: great techer, great principal and my daughter is HAPPY!

20 Feb 2012
ANON

Melissa,
We have had our two kids in the Montessori school since the fall of 2009.  They've done well there.  I do know that the school will NOT be moving to Lago Patria, but I believe the International school will.  That said, while the Montessori school is not cheap, the International school is even more expensive.  Additionally, it is possible to pay a bit extra for before/after school care at the Montessori (0730 - 0815 and 1515 - 1700) if you have appts, etc.  Believe the cost is euro 5 per child, per day.  This is NOT available at the International School.  Additionally, they have a hot lunch program, not cheap, but you don't have to do it everyday either (although we do).  You just need to call the office to order it before 11am on the day needed.  Five euro per meal.  If you have to pay later, such as the following day, they are okay with that.  My kids have enjoyed their time there.  I will advise that most of the teachers are American, while the administration is Italian.  They love the kids, but they don't always do things the way Americans do - however, sometimes you can get them to do things that we expect in certain situations (e.g., squeaky wheel and all).I think the litmus test will be whether or not your kids enjoy it.  If they enjoy it, then it is probably worth it.  My kids have never expressed a desire to go to DoDDS, although they know all the American kids, and their American friends, go there.Good luck!!! 

22 Feb 2012
Jennifer

I called the Montessori school last week and they told me they plan on moving to Lago, but are not sure when because of permits not being approved at the new JFC Site.The receptionist said they will have transportation for the kids to and from the old JFC to the New JFC.  I forgot to ask if the busing service will be an extra fee.  I will try to call again.

29 Feb 2012
Helen

Our daughter was a Montessori student from Nursery to 8th grade and she loved it. We also had the advantage that she did the afternoon Italian classes.It is definetely a pleasant environment and she really felt it was home away from home.  As with any school there were a few problems, but it has remaineda very positive experience for her.  Academically speaking, if your child is a positive student, the school offers excellent stimulation and a variety of otheractivities, fairs, holiday events.   

04 May 2014
Sarah

we are an Italian family moving back to naples from abroad where we spent the last 5 years.our chidren attended international schools (pyp)so they can speak english very well.our intention is sending them to anglo american school or international School of naples...we accept sny suggestions,informetion advise about these schools.tthanks a lotsarah

18 May 2014
Raffaele

Anyone would like to learn Italian? become fluent in conversational Italian and understand also the local dialect? 

10 Jun 2015
John

Does the Montessori School at the old JfC still exists? The website aischoolnaples looks like it hasnt been updated in a year. Im transfeering to naples with 3 children and have talked to some people who had children there about 5 years ago and had a great experience and then i talked to someone who left last year and they said it has/had great teachers but the administration is/was horrible! Specifically that information flow to parents was non existant, PAC team was ignored and that the owner was a violent and dangerous man. I find this hard to believe can anyone update on the current Montessori situation? Thanks

17 Jun 2015
Jeremy

The school still exists and the people I know who use it have not complained.  That said, my children go to Froebel's and we've had nothing but a fantastic experience.  Both children are now fluent in Italian and doing very well academically.  If you are near Aversa, take a look.

22 Aug 2015
Lawrence

Hi, my son graduated kindergarten last year, and may go to 1st graded this coming year. We loved the school, he took piano, art and violin after school for one hour and enjoyed it on most days. During soccer time, of course he chose soccer instead, which was offered outside the school.

The school had issues with PTA meetings, just not steady, and not much participation. The school did participate in the children international festival at the NATO HQs sponsered by Turkey. Even though 12 schools participated, one school had the less among not of parental support, again due to the administration.

Activities are planed, but not enough early notification is provided. Same with things like picture day, field trips, etc.

If you review the school, it's one of the only schools in Naples that have a large gated playground and basket ball courts. They have a garden area for the kids, nice library and nice computer.

The teachers are really great, and the album min is very strong in the schools. Second and third generations were present at the graduation. The kindergarten parents are very close. The have their own chat group on What's App, a Facebook type app, and support each other well.

We've participated in several after school or weekend trips organized by the parents, not common to Italian schools. Again this I give credit to the parents, which are very thoughtful, nice and polite.

Open house is 3rd of September, I really hope you attend.

To be honest, since several of the teacher Alumni or teachers from last year may move to a new school direclt accross from the school, we may follow them. The parents and teacher is what really made the school great. My son speaks Italian and English plus Taiwanese, thanks to the teachers. They provided special tutoring for his Italian, and now he's really good, and more importantly comfortable.

They do have a new website, so please research look again. My son did go to preschool at an Italian private school to help with the language, but the difference is huge.

Lastly, their is a international school above the Montessori school, I strongly woul not recommend it, but tour both schools and you"lol understand why.

Good luck, and let me know if you have additional questions. I have coworkers with a 5th grader who fills the same way, but his glass room was not as envolved as the Kindegarten group, put they did attend all the PTA meetings.

26 Aug 2015
scott

What school is being referred to above? Wish there was more info on all the options outside of the DOD school. Doesn't seem to be much current info. Looking for a school for a 4th graders where he'll receive foreign language instruction and a positive/challenging environment.

09 Dec 2015
Poline

I prefer Montessori preschools. Research studies show that Montessori kids are better prepared for life emotionally, socially and academically. My kids attend Palms preschool that combines Montessori and Reggio Emilia approches. <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Scoring well on standardized tests, Montessori children are above average in following directions, adapting to new situations, turning in work on time, listening attentively, taking responsibility, asking provocative questions, and enthusiasm for learning. - See more at: http://litchfieldmontessori.org/admissions/why-choose-montessori#sthash.sD18VaFC.dpuf

Research studies have shown that Montessori educated students are well prepared for life emotionally, socially and academically. Scoring well on standardized tests, Montessori children are above average in following directions, adapting to new situations, turning in work on time, listening attentively, taking responsibility, asking provocative questions, and enthusiasm for learning.  - See more at: http://litchfieldmontessori.org/admissions/why-choose-montessori#sthash.sD18VaFC.dpuf

Research studies have shown that Montessori educated students are well prepared for life emotionally, socially and academically. Scoring well on standardized tests, Montessori children are above average in following directions, adapting to new situations, turning in work on time, listening attentively, taking responsibility, asking provocative questions, and enthusiasm for learning.  - See more at: http://litchfieldmontessori.org/admissions/why-choose-montessori#sthash.sD18VaFC.dpuf

15 Jan 2016
ben

I have experience with Kids Collective preschool  (palms preschool) and want to say that my child became more developed. This preschool combines both Montessori and Reggio Emilia philosophies in the foundation of its unique core curriculum. The Reggio Emilia approach is an early childhood education philosophy based on the concept of the kid as an inventive and curious person who can learn and develop through collaboration with others, including parents, teachers and peers.The Montessori Method of education is a child-centered educational approach based on scientific observations of children from birth to adulthood. Combination of those two philosophies are really great and effective method!