follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » TV out in town
29 Jan 2011
Sharon
TV out in town

Can I use my television from the US out in town in Naples?  I heard that if I use it everything will be in Black and White.  Is this nonsense?  How is the cable television? 

How is Italian television anyway? 

Thanks,

S

30 Jan 2011
Angela
More than 50 messages post
Re: TV out in town

We have two tvs from the us. They both have to be on the transformers to work since they are only 110 but otherwise they work fine, in color. We have AFN and no italian tv, so cant help there.

31 Jan 2011
Sharon

Do you get AFN out in town or only on base?

31 Jan 2011
DandH

Our color TV works just fine out in town but does have to be hooked up to a transformer. We do get AFN and we also have Sky cable tv. They are actually hooked up to the same dish. Some of the chanels on Sky can be put into english to make it easy to watch if you are not fluent in Italian.

01 Feb 2011
Sharon

Thanks.  I was hoping to be able to get both English and Italian television. 

25 Feb 2011
Paul

There are many option for english language TV. You can even have UK Sky, but it requires a 1m satellite dish in addition to the 60cm AFM one.

There are lots of free channels to see, or you may opt for subscription. Search for Sky Card in europe to obtain one without a UK address to use.

25 Feb 2011
Paul

Another option for Italian TV, if you have a multi System TV with Digital Tuner, you can hook up the TV antenna from the roof direct to the TV to get Italian terrestrial Channels.

This is only for Multi System TV's as Europe transmissions inc Sky are in PAL not NTSC

21 Jun 2011
Davina

Ok...so we brought our tv from the states as well, a SHARP flatscreen and can't view anything and we just had sky put in....the sky guy told me that he couldnt figure out what was wrong so he said to let me husband take care of it...well...my husband was only able to get far enough to where we hear sound....any help there???

22 Jun 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

Something tells me that the sky broadcast you are receiving is in PAL format.  Our American TVs receive broadcast/programming in NTSC format.  This would cause the presence of sound, but no picture.  Three things you can do: Go out in town a pay for an Italian TV, which is much more expensive, go to the NEX and get a multi-system TV, or try and ask the sky service for NTSC broadcast format and the proper dish to receive it.  The latter of the suggestions is based upon what was said a few comments before mine.

22 Jun 2011
DandH

We did have to purchase a converter to see a picture for the Sky TV. We bought it on EBay. Not sure the exact name but it converts the PAL to NTSC. I think you can find it online if you just search that. This should fix the problem without buying a new TV.