follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » Has anyone been able to get Italian tv on SS?
06 Jan 2011
Mrs. James
Has anyone been able to get Italian tv on SS?

I took a trip and at the hotel, they had tv. I watched many shows in Italian, picked up some words and even saw some English channels (BBC, MTV, some French channel). After that, I went home on SS to see if we could get it. Having an antenna and the Tele system box didn't work. Satellites aren't allowed (so no Sky here). The sling box might work but I don't have $300 laying around and I doubt my mom will hook it up in the states. Plus wouldn't I have to spend another $300 buying her the same box? Wouldn't it pause and skip like steaming tv over the internet? Moving out on town is not an option. Watch tv online? Most places are for specific shows. I want to channel surf, watch commercials, etc. So watching tv online doesn't really do that for me.

So with all that said, is there anyway I can get Italian cable on SS?

06 Jan 2011
David
More than 50 messages post
Re: Has anyone been able to get Italian tv on SS?

Mrs. James,

It depends on what you are looking for regarding "Italian cable."  This is my experience w/ Italian OTA (Over the Air Transfer) TV on SS.  First of all those nice receptacles in the walls of SS housing that say "antenna" are garbage.  They are not hooked to an external antenna on the roof, nor do any of the maintenance worker know anything about them.

Just like in the States OTA TV is now digitized, so you will need a converter box for the digital PAL signal for Italian TV.  You will also need a TV capable of viewing the PAL signal, either multi-system or Italian (US TVs use NTSC signal).  You have two choices, the later recommended, you can go to the NEX and pay $54 for a mediocre DVB decoder and hope to find an external antenna, or you can go to an electronics store like Saturn and get a nice decoder for 24 Euro and get an antenna too boot for 19 euro.  Now be sure to get their best powered antenna so you can pull in better signal.  The decoder will require a scart adapter for connection to your TV if your TV does not have a scart connection (adapter pict included).  I live on the third floor so I put my antenna out on the window sill and run the wires to the converter and then to the TV.  I have found with my antenna that if I wrap it in tin foil I get optimal signal.  Also most of the new decoders offer a USB connection, so you can get a couple gig ram stick and record TV once you figure out the recording method of the box.

If anything is not clear or you need help let me know.

Click to enlarge
Scart adapter
06 Jan 2011
Papi
User Banned

this sounds cool.. but my question is how many channels do you get out all this? i am gona try but i am just wonder!

07 Jan 2011
David
More than 50 messages post

If I had to estimate I think you get somewhere around 50+ channels, and you have the option to purchase pay per view channel services on top of that.