follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Travel & Tourism » What map to use? Mapquest, Google, other???
01 Jan 2011
Mrs. James
What map to use? Mapquest, Google, other???

When planning a trip, my husband and I will usually see how far we are from our destination on mapquest. For some reason, the results don't come out right. It will say we are x miles away, we plug it into the gps and instead of Naples, it's in Milan or something. The same thing happens with google maps. We're pretty sure we are inputting the addresses in right. We keep the gps in the car so that we won't forget it when we leave the house. Is there something else more accurate we can use? Thank You.

03 Jan 2011
JC
Re: What map to use? Mapquest, Google, other???

The problem lies in the fact that all of Italy uses the same road names, everywhere. (eg: Via Roma, Via Napoli, Via Firenze...) It confuses many of GPS and map programs. I've found that it is easier to just use GPS coordinates. With www.gpsvisualizer.com you can input the address and it will spit out he coordinates for you. I've never had a problem with this, and it has brought me to my destination every time. Hope this helps.

03 Jan 2011
Mrs. James
Re: Re: What map to use? Mapquest, Google, other???

Cit. Jillian wrote:
The problem lies in the fact that all of Italy uses the same road names, everywhere. (eg: Via Roma, Via Napoli, Via Firenze...) It confuses many of GPS and map programs. I've found that it is easier to just use GPS coordinates. With www.gpsvisualizer.com you can input the address and it will spit out he coordinates for you. I've never had a problem with this, and it has brought me to my destination every time. Hope this helps.
I'm trying to find this thrift shop. I entered in Via Ripuaria 76 / 9 Park Antinea - Varcaturo which didn't find anything. Then I entered Ripuaria, 80014, Park, 76/9 and it found something. I think one of the main problems is that I don't know the proper way to imput Italian addresses.

04 Jan 2011
JC
Re: What map to use? Mapquest, Google, other???

I put in Via Ripuaria 76, Varcaturo, Italy and it gave me N40° 54.624', E014° 5.0204'. I believe this is the place that you are looking for, after a quick google search. I've always had success with putting in the street name, building number, town name, and country. Hope this helps.