follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » King size bed....to bring or not to bring?
27 Dec 2010
Tonya
King size bed....to bring or not to bring?

I have yet to find someone who brought a king size bed to Italy.  I know the rooms are smaller and the base supplies us with wardrobe closets....should we not bring it?  

28 Dec 2010
KIFORNEE
Re: King size bed....to bring or not to bring?

I actually know 3 people here who has a king size bed. It all depends on the floorplan that you get. We have plenty of room for a king size and all the extras. I hope this helps and goodluck!

28 Dec 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

We have a king size bed but we also have the appartment in the 6 unit building.  We have a HUGE master bedroom.  Our kingsize bed with 2 night stands, computer desk, my dresser,my husbands set of drawers, a TV with stand and 2 stands next to it with DVDs. We still have plenty of room to walk around the bedroom.

30 Dec 2010
alicia

If you plan to live off base bring it! The houses are huge and there is plenty of room. I don't know about apartment on base.

01 Jan 2011
Tonya

Thank you!  I was hoping you would say to leave it so we could get a new bed! hahahaha!  

02 Jan 2011
Cat

depending on rank..check to see if you are direct assignment...then it depends on how many rooms you get...we have 6 in our family and live on base in a 4 bedroom.  A king size would work but its not the best.  I have a sleigh bed (queen) with the full set of bedroom furniture and it fit with just enough pass thru space...lol...now there is another 4 bedroom floor plan that works great with a king size but the kitchen is smaller and there is no real dining space.  

if your planning on getting new furniture for the bedroom...an your in the states now..get it now..the furniture here is slim picking and sometimes have to wait up to 6 mths to get it if it is special order...and the mattresses are expensive as all get out!!!!

and if your planning on getting italian furniture your gonna want to make sure you buy all the bedding you want before you leave...our stuff doesn't fit theirs and vice versa...

btw..off the subject..you might want to break a small deep freezer..the fridges are small and and not alot of freezer space and no ice.

hope this helps.

04 Jan 2011
Tonya

Thank you Cat!  We plan to live off base as we have multiple pets....and we are not military (I've read that some military must stay on base I think?) 

07 Dec 2013
Clint

we have a double pillow top, and it fits just fine :D

03 Jan 2014
Kenneth

i have one king size and 4 queen size beds in my house.  I've been here 11 years and most houses I have seen will fit the King size.  Queen size beds are a bigger problem in that the box spring is a single piece, unlike the King, where the box spring is spiit, so getting it into some of the houses and apartments is easy.  If you end up with a 3 or even 4 story house apartment, sometimes its a challenge getting up to the top floors.Be careful of buying US appliances before you come, even if you get something that is 220v it is probably 60hz vs the 50 hz here.  Most electronics are dual voltage so it's not a problem, but running a transformer 24 hours a day on a frig or freezer will cost you a pretty penny off base.I had iron frames made for my beds when stationed up north. You can get really nice bed frames made here, you just need to tell them to make it US mattress specs.You should check with housing, I heard they are cutting down on the number of wardrobes they are issuing, but you can always get something from IKEA if you need more storage space.Lots of nice places to rent, but be careful, housing will push a lot of units on you that are not in the best of neighborhoods, ask around, take you time, check out each property; Is it on the school bus route, it is a gated parco, how many breakins have been in the area.  I live in a nice gated parco, i have a pool, I do not live on tne edge of a parco (next to fields criminals can use for easy access), there has not been a breakin in over 5 years in my parco, i can walk to three places to eat, vegatable vender 200 yards up the street,bus stop outside the parco, off street parking, view of the sun setting into the Med every night.The pillows here stink - so by really nice ones before you come.

21 May 2016
Cammi
Re: Kenneth

Kenneth,   Can you tell me more about the parco you live in?  We're moving there (by August) and will need to find a place to live.  We have 2 high school-aged children and a dog.
Thanks!!

18 Apr 2017
goran

Nice place to live with children -all i can say