follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » Support Site Water Problems??
05 Nov 2010
Brittney
Support Site Water Problems??

I have been here for about a month and I am just now getting the in's and out's of the apartments. Just found out that our air was NOT broken, they just regulate when you can be cool; I will never get to watch TV because its always broken, and nobody really cares! BUT I do need some information on the water. For the past 3 day the water has smelled like BLEACH! Is this normal? Should I be worried? Can I brush my teeth in the water? Please help! 

05 Nov 2010
mary
Re: Support Site Water Problems??

Britt, the water often smells like bleach, but you can brush your teeth and shower.  We only use the water to do that we used bottled water for everything else.  The bleach smell is the treatment chemicals, you'll see that when it doesn't smell  like bleach for a while, it will start smelling like poopey.  There are lot's of things to learn about living on base.  It is frustrating, but I think it's worth it for the convenience!

05 Nov 2010
Brittney

Thanks Mary! I am going to start using bottles for everything. The CO that did our AO class said the water was ok to cook with and even drink; it just contained a lot of Calcium. But the smell is really beginning to make me worry. any other advice you can give me? 

05 Nov 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post

Brittney, every time there is a heavy rain storm, they treat the water with more chemicals, hence the smell. Even off base we get that odor, but it is definitely worse on base, in some buildings worse than others. It got so bad last year we couldn't even shower because of the fumes from the steam. Nasty.

I called the Env Quality Dept. at the hospital last year and was assured the water (on base) was safe to drink, just smelly. I have my doubts, but other than using bottled water, our options are limited.

23 Dec 2010
Tana

Even the CO on base drinks bottled water. It upsets me that they say it is ok, yet no drinks it. If you live off base you can have water delivered for free.On base you get yellow whites and headaches from the smell, but it is safe to drink. Anyone have a problem with mold in their units? I can not seem to get rid of it in certain areas.

25 Dec 2010
Cat

for the mildew and mold...damprid from the commissary i leave a container in the bathroom and it helps...after scrubbing the ceiling with bleach water...i put it in the corner of the bathroom and open the window after showering.  hope this helps.

27 Dec 2010
David
More than 50 messages post

We don't even cook with the tap water.  I noticed after cooking pasta with tap water that it has a funny taste.  The only thing we do is shower and brush our teeth with it.  When I lived on La Maddalena in Sardinia we couldn't even brush our teeth with it because it was loaded with lead and arsenic.  At least they gave us a monthly supplement to go buy bottled water.