follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Travel & Tourism » Travel Advisory
04 Oct 2010
Lori
Travel Advisory

Does anyone know what this whole trip advisory thing is all about???  All I know is my trip to Venice got cancelled and I am not a happy camper..

04 Oct 2010
Reason
Re: Travel Advisory

who canceled yout trip??

05 Oct 2010
Lori

The USO..

05 Oct 2010
Kathy

I'm not military so this may not be the reason, but on British and Italian news it has been saying this week that the US Government is issuing strong warnings to Americans traveling abroad. Caution should be used when traveling to larger cities within Europe b/c of an Al Qaeda threat. I dont remember all of their terminology but apparently it's a verifiable threat :) and all of the big government officials had been talking all weekend. Just a little insight...Is it common for you guys (military families) to be told that you are forbidden to travel to certain places? or do they just advise you against it like they do the rest off us that live abroad? 

05 Oct 2010
Cheryl

Kathy,

I know I will be corrected on here if I am wrong. I believe if you are an active duty service member you can be told you are NOT allowed to go! however as a dependent you can only be advised against it. That being said there is NO travel ban in effect at present in Europe, just advise to all traveling in and to tourist spots. We are also traveling to a very popular destination and the only thing my husband has to do is give his travel information, flight numbers, place of stay etc.... hope this helps : )

06 Oct 2010
Michael

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_europe.html and http://www.state.gov/m/rls/remarks/2010/148559.htm

To all,

Yes in fact the United States Military can enforce that all Military Members are forbidden to travel to any destination they seem a threat or unfit conditions for their service members and families.  And of course for our families they can not.  All I can say is watch the news and you will get all the information you need about this threat.  Nothing is specific to which areas in Europe they may have targeted or will target.  If they advise you not to travel to large populated areas or (major) interests/landmarks then why would you put yourself at risk?  We all know already Terrorism exist even without this warning and for them to put this out all over the world is simply just advising us something we already know.  Other than that sorry for those that lost out on their trips and hope you have the time to re-book your trip and go on a later date.