follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Health » Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanu...
15 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

I have been compeled to write this because I am having a hard time

understanding why parents here knowingly send their children to school

with items in their lunches that can not only harm but KILL their fellow

classmates.  My son is allergic to Peanuts and Tree-nuts.  When he

comes into contact with them he will breakout into hives that swell and

ooze.  Not only are they extremely itching but they scar.  If he ingest

them he will go into respiratory arrest and then cardiac arrest.  THEY

WILL KILL HIM!!  I have announced this in every class he has been in

(Kindergarten, First Grade and now Second Grade), the teachers have

posted signs outside their classrooms stating that the class is a peanut

and tree-nut free environment.  The Nurse has sent home letters stating

the same thing and yet parents still feel the need to send nut products

to class.   Last year one parent was even mean enough as to send a

large platter of peanut butter cookies for the class December party. 

This year just got started and my son has had to eat at a table by

himself because all but 2 children had peanut butter and jelly

sandwiches for lunch.  Now I'm not sure how to take this part of me (the

nice side) says this is just a coincidence but the other side (not at

all nice and usually in charge) says this was done on purpose.  There

are several students in my son's class that have been in his class since

kindergarten so they are well aware of is allergy.  I am taking this

very personal!  I have talked to the teacher, nurse and in the process

of speaking to the principal.  My son is seven he did not ask to be born

with this allergy but he was and just like all seven year olds he wants

to be able to eat lunch with his friends, play and attend their parties

and he should be able to without the fear of death.  The commissary

offers alternatives to peanut and tree-nut products they have cake,

brownie, cookie and frosting just add water mixes available and they

offer sunbutter which is made from sunflower seeds and taste very good

from what I have been told by peanut butter lovers ( it has been 6 yrs

since I have had peanuts I can not remember the taste so I could not

compare) there's no difference in taste and it cost  $3.99 which is the

price of peanut butter (same size jars).   Online the sky is the limit

on the alternatives.  There are cookbooks and online recipe sites. 

Peanut and Tree-nut allergy is the fastest growing in the nation so

much' so that many school districts have banned it all to together and

many more will not allow home made food items to be passed out in class

(they require all food to be store bought).   All I am asking is for

respect, understanding and compassion for my son and his allergy.  I do

not believe anyone out there would like to be responsible for a child's

death.  I am asking this one time nicely please save the peanuts and

tree-nuts for home.  I do not believe in hiding behind computer screens

my name is Angela Wooten so if anyone would like to discuss this

further, message me your name, place, date and time and we can talk face

to face.

15 Sep 2010
Angela
More than 50 messages post
Posts:89
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

I am a parent of both a child who has a severe allergy to peanuts and tree nuts and a child who is not allergic to anything.

As I have both, I believe it is unfair of us to ask those who do not have allergies to make severe restrictions to their personal diets. I understand that you have a child who is allergic, as do I. However, since my son loves peanut butter, and it is a healthy choice for good fats in a diet (I am a certified Nutritionist as well), I will not deny my child who is not allergic peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (they are in fact one of the most healthy choices to give a child who is not allergic). my daughter, who is allergic does not get to eat these things.

I think the most we can ask is that when making  foods for the whole class room, to  make sure we are serving foods which are not common allergy triggers.

I dont believe its fair to say that my son, who is living with an allergic child, should never be allowed to go to school with a PBand J sandwich. I get where you are coming from, and I agree that if you are serving foods for the whole class, that we think about those with allergies so all can get the "treat", but i dont think it is fair to ask everyone in the school to change their whole diet/lifestyle for those with allergies.

The best thing we can do as parents is to teach our children how best avoid triggers. And even at 3 my child knows what is "good" food and what is "bad" food for her to eat and be around. No it is not fair that our children have such severe allergies, but you do can not force everyone in the world to change thier lives. We have tree nuts, peanut butter etc.. in our home. Its pretty easy to prevent her from coming into contact with them. I also have a brother and father who are highly allergic to tree nuts among other things.

I am sorry you seem to be taking this so personally, I really do not think people are out to harm your child.  

 

15 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

@ Angela it sounds like you are one of the lucky one's to have a child that only has problems if they ingest it. I on the other hand I'm not as fortunate.  My son's trigger is contact as well as ingesting and children do not always wash there hands.  I understand the nutritional value of peanut butter and I am not asking anyone to change their entire diet I am simply asking that children who will be in direct contact with him at school to please refarm from eating it (lunch and snack time to make it clear).  There are many equally nutritional choices out there peanut butter is not the end all.  The same amount of time it takes to make a pb&j sandwich one can make their child a turkey breast with tomatoes, cheese and lettuce.  This is not just an allergy that will break him out as it sounds like that is all that will happen to your child since you stated you keep nut products  in your home, we do not because of  his level of sensitivity.  I would really hate to remove him from school and isolate him  for the duration of our tour here he is a child and accommodations have been made for children with far greater issues than his (not to mention he has made some very dear and understanding friends at school), but for whatever reason this school year has already put his safety into question.  I am glad that you replied because it further shows the mean spirited, unwilling, and uncaring mind set of this community .  I make no apoligize for asking my fellow human beings to make their child a different kind of sandwhich and provide an alternate snack so that my child may associate with them freely.

15 Sep 2010
d
Posts:30
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

AW

My son has a milk allergy which is in NO way near as serious as your kids' peanut/tree nut allergy.   Simple digestive problems that probably make it more uncomfortable for the other kids. :P  Still, I would never have thought.."hey, maybe I should think about other kids' allergies"  Thank you for sharing and making us aware that we need to think about this.  I'm sad to say I didn't think of this.  I won't be sending anything peanut or tree nut related with him.  It takes a village right!

Saying that you feel it's wrong to deny a child PB&J because he/she isn't allergic is more selfish of you.  You can give him/her that at home.  I'd rather save a child the sickness and hurt than sending a sandwich.  I think it'll teach them compassion...telling my kids that it would make other kids sick horrified them.   I really think it's the parents that have the problem more than kids and it's portayed through them. 

Maybe you could make a list of foods that we wouldn't think of sending for lunches so that we can avoid them.  Please know that there are caring parents, and I hope that during lunch your children sit next to and make friends with someone that has parents caring enough to think of others.

15 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

@ D Thank You, Thank You.  I truly felt that no one here cared and that I was in this alone, your understanding gives me new hope. It is very easy to spot these foods American products have to state what's in them, if it says nut anything it's a enjoy at home food.  Some food are manufactured on machinery or in facilities that also manufacture nut products (ex: chips ahoy cookies, granola bars that do not out right contain nuts, some pop tarts, candy bars, but they come with the warning about where they are made)  those are a bit harder to steer clear of so I would not ask anyone to do that (we do ).  I'm only asking for those foods that are obviously nut products to be enjoyed at home.  Once again Thank You  

15 Sep 2010
nakeesha
Posts:7
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Angela,

I have a son and daughter and both of them have allergies also.  My son has a  PEANUT, DAIRY, AND

PINEAPPLES allergy. He carries a epi-pen with him at all times.  My daughter is allergic to EGGS, DAIRY, AND SOY.  Angela

Wooten

is simply stating that her son has CONTACT allergies with peanuts and

tree nuts.  That is something you just don't play around with.  You don't

have to change the entire diet of your child.  You can use sun butter (its made

from sunflower seeds) it's sold at the Commissary next to the peanut butter and it has the nutrients same as peanut butter.  I

believe your opinion is little selfish.  You can fix you child a

turkey, chicken,  sandwich, and/or a salad which is actually pretty healthy.  Put yourself in

Angela Wooten shoes... What if your child did had a CONTACT allergy to

peanuts and tree nuts?  Come on now, have a heart here.  This is a child we're

talking about.  This type of allergy is very dangerous plus and could result in having to stick a needle in your child

thigh to save their life, having them hospitalized for days, swollen and in

pain.  Contact allergies are similar to being stung by a bee if someone is allergic to bees they could die... In fact a bee sting has more of a warning with the initial pinch of a stinger entering the skin.  Here's another fact, Angela Wooten's child doesn't get that type of warning.  If peanuts are around him, on a child's breath who's just eaten a PB&J, or if he's touched by a child that failed to wash their hands after eating a PB&J he could die.  I am not trying to be mean.  I am trying to stress to you it is serious and deadly.

15 Sep 2010
Angela
More than 50 messages post
Posts:89
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

My daughter simply isnt allergic to one thing, nope that would be too easy. She is allergic to a whole list of things.

Milk and milk products,

Eggs

Wheat (cookies, cakes, pasta, bread, pancakes, etc )

Soy

Grass

Dog

Cat

Dust Mites

Cocroaches

and the list goes on and on and on.

She is lieterally allergic to everything. And not just if she ingests it. She has much more than just food allergies. She has been hospitalized over this. So yes i am concerned about what she eats and what touches her.

However, I am not demanding that the school, the cdc, the food court or the base take any precautions because some one giving her a high five who ate a hamburger will set off her skin issues. Its selfish and unrealistic to think you can control everyone and everything.

I mean, i would be ecstatic if the school and cdc would serve everyone in school rice milk and brown rice at every meal so my child would have less issues and be safer. But this wont happen. The best we can do is make sure they are sticking with her specific diet and aggressively hand washing everyone to lessen contact.

I am sorry, i empathize with you. But i dont see the need to force the world to accomodate you.

I was born with a type of dwarfism. So yes, I know how it feels to be diferent as a kid and not do somethings because i cant reach or i am different in a way. I learned a long time ago that you dont expect the world to adapt to you, you adapt to the world. You control you, and work with what else is out there. Yes my child is off the charts allergic to a whole bunch of things, but im not going around and demanding that anyone change their life simply because my child has issues. We do the best we can with what we have and all we ask is that people not feed her things with out asking.

I am sorry if i dont agree that the school should do away with PB and J. Yes there are other alternatives but some children will not eat them. We have a growing epeidemic of childhood obesity in America and sometimes a PB and J is the MOST nutriouts thing a child eats. I dont agree that you force other parents to purchase special items just for school lunches. I understand raising awareness, but dictating what can and can not be eaten is going a little far in my opinion. Really, I could be fighting to have any and all milk products taken off the school luch, but would that be fair to all the other kids who NEED milk protein and calorie in their diets?? Would you be comfortable not giving YOUR child milk, cheese, yougurt, sour cream, cream cheese, ice cream etc..at school because MY Daughter could die???

The old saying goes "Your rights end where the other persons begin".

15 Sep 2010
nakeesha
Posts:7
Re: Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Cit. Angela wrote:

My daughter simply isnt allergic to one thing, nope that would be too easy. She is allergic to a whole list of things.

Milk and milk products,

Eggs

Wheat (cookies, cakes, pasta, bread, pancakes, etc )

Soy

Grass

Dog

Cat

Dust Mites

Cocroaches

and the list goes on and on and on.

She is lieterally allergic to everything. And not just if she ingests it. She has much more than just food allergies. She has been hospitalized over this. So yes i am concerned about what she eats and what touches her.

However, I am not demanding that the school, the cdc, the food court or the base take any precautions because some one giving her a high five who ate a hamburger will set off her skin issues. Its selfish and unrealistic to think you can control everyone and everything.

I mean, i would be ecstatic if the school and cdc would serve everyone in school rice milk and brown rice at every meal so my child would have less issues and be safer. But this wont happen. The best we can do is make sure they are sticking with her specific diet and aggressively hand washing everyone to lessen contact.

I am sorry, i empathize with you. But i dont see the need to force the world to accomodate you.

I was born with a type of dwarfism. So yes, I know how it feels to be diferent as a kid and not do somethings because i cant reach or i am different in a way. I learned a long time ago that you dont expect the world to adapt to you, you adapt to the world. You control you, and work with what else is out there. Yes my child is off the charts allergic to a whole bunch of things, but im not going around and demanding that anyone change their life simply because my child has issues. We do the best we can with what we have and all we ask is that people not feed her things with out asking.

I am sorry if i dont agree that the school should do away with PB and J. Yes there are other alternatives but some children will not eat them. We have a growing epeidemic of childhood obesity in America and sometimes a PB and J is the MOST nutriouts thing a child eats. I dont agree that you force other parents to purchase special items just for school lunches. I understand raising awareness, but dictating what can and can not be eaten is going a little far in my opinion. Really, I could be fighting to have any and all milk products taken off the school luch, but would that be fair to all the other kids who NEED milk protein and calorie in their diets?? Would you be comfortable not giving YOUR child milk, cheese, yougurt, sour cream, cream cheese, ice cream etc..at school because MY Daughter could die???

The old saying goes "Your rights end where the other persons begin".

I would love for the school to give my son soy or rice milk as he is allergic to dairy also he has a lot of allergies too, so do myself, and daughter. But he isnt contact so people around him can have it. This is a life and death matter this child we are speaking about have a contact  allergy to peanuts and tree nuts. Most schools in the states are banding all nuts. They should be doing it here too.  So, you rather kill a child just because you dont want to change a sandwich? You should really read the seriousness of this allergy. Its sad that you cant see the picture. I would love to meet with you and talk to you. Do you understand that if your child has eaten a peanut butter sandwich and touched or breathed on Angela Wooten son he can die? How would you feel if it was your child? How would you feel if you were the cause of someone death because you didnt want to take the time change his lunch. Can we say selfish?

Scientists do not know what causes a peanut

allergy (or any allergy for that matter). Food allergies in general

are often inherited.

The Anaphylaxis Campaign1

states that if there is allergy in a family, a sibling of a child with

allergies will also be prone to allergies. There is only a seven percent

risk of this second child developing peanut allergy, compared with a

1-2 percent risk in a child from a non-allergic family.

Scientists and doctors understand the causes of an allergic

reaction to peanuts, or more specifically, an allergic reaction to

at least seven of the proteins found in peanuts, and this understanding

may lead to treatment advances in the future. Allergic people come into

contact with these proteins through one of three general means: direct

contact, cross-contact, and through inhalation of airborne particles.

Direct Contact with peanuts

This includes any direct exposure with peanuts, whether by ingestion,

through the skin, the lips or any direct manner which puts the body in

contact with peanut proteins. Direct contact is not only the most common

cause of an allergic reaction, it is also the most preventable,

provided the patient is diligent. Keeping children away from popular

foods such as peanut butter can be challenging but great-tasting, nutritious peanut

butter substitutes are available.

Cross-Contact with peanuts

Cross-contact causes of allergic

reactions are somewhat insidious. For example, a company that

processes peanuts might use the same machinery to process a non-peanut

food product and if the machinery isn't thoroughly cleaned, traces of

peanut can get into the other processed foods. Cross-contact is

unintentional but for the patient it is not preventable.

Airborne inhalation of peanuts

Some aerosols contain peanuts, for a variety of reasons, along with

peanut flour or peanut oil cooking spray. When trace amounts are

inhaled by someone with a peanut allergy, they can trigger an allergic

response. Like direct contact, inhaling peanut proteins through the air

is preventable.


15 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

@ Angela you need to take the time out to actually read what you reply to.  Your child situation and yours for that matter are nothing like mine.  The school does not serve any products that contain nuts because it is such a common and serious allergy so yes I would expect parents to follow suit not to mention there is a big sign in front of my son's classroom which states "This classroom is a NUT FREE ENVIRONMENT" which means there are to be NO NUTS .  My son takes his lunch and when birthdays or party treats are bought to school I PROVIDE his.  It is not to much to ask for children (and pay attention this time) that have DIRECT CONTACT with him to reframe from eating nut products WHILE AT SCHOOL.  I never asked the food court, commissary, cdc and no other facility you rattled off to do or not do anything for him.  I'm going to end this here so you can take the time to read my previous post.  Make sure you pay close attention when you read the last line of my first post.

16 Sep 2010
d
Posts:30
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Seriously, you want to compare school to the food court?  Grasp much?  AW, thanks for the list.  I'm so proud of the people that have posted and I hope it restores your faith even further as it seems you've informed others who are willing to change what they send with their children.

Let's see...death VS a sandwich.  I'm pretty sure I would chose a child's life, even a child's tear or whimper over some bread and condiments.  

 

16 Sep 2010
Reason
Posts:3
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

From what I can see-Children at school do not have contact with just their classmates.  What about when your child is on the playground after lunch?  Isn't he playing with children from other classrooms?

Wouldn't the entire school need to be "nut free" in order to ensure his safety?  

16 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

@ Reason to answer your question NO.  There is only one simple thing that needs to be done by other children who DO NOT eat with him, and that is wash their hands.  Yeah, that's right simply wash their hands.  The washing of hands will remove any oils from the nut products that they have ate.  Now they can run, jump, kick, hop, skip, wrestle whatever game they care to play.  This is what I'm in the process of talking to the School and it's staff about the last two years went without incident because in kindergarten and first grade those teacher made sure the kids washed  their hands before and after they ate (which is what one should do anyway allergy no allergy).  With his classmates it's different he is right there eating with them.  Once again we are talking about a 7 year old child not 17 or 27.  I would not want to isolate him form his peers, but I see the opposition and his life means more than me taking a firm stand against isolating him.  We have talked to him (he is well aware of his allergy what and who to stay away from and what to do in the Heaven forbid case of an emergency) and informed him he may have to come home to eat lunch with me, but his classmates and all children he plays with or around will still have to wash their hands after they eat.

16 Sep 2010
KB
Posts:23
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

While I feel for you and your situation Ms. Wooten, I think you are setting your expectations a little high. When I was a kid I would refuse any sandwich that wasn't a pb & j, and if I was given anything else for lunch, I wouldn't eat. As an adult, I can tell you, those pb substutites are not yummy, in fact I think they are quite disgusting, I was picky as a child and am still picky as an adult. I think with an allergy as extreme as your childs, maybe you should homeschool him until he is old enough to know not to "high five" someone, or be inches away from someones face promptly after they just got done eating a tree-nut food.

"Although a small amount of peanut protein can set off a severe reaction, it is rare that people get an allergic reaction just from breathing in small particles of nuts or peanuts. Most foods with peanuts in them don't allow enough of the protein to escape into the air to cause a reaction. And just the smell of foods containing peanuts won't produce a reaction because the scent does not contain the protein.

In the few cases when people do react to airborne particles, it's usually in an enclosed area (like a restaurant or bar) where lots of peanuts are being cracked from their shells. Although some people outgrow certain food allergies over time (like milk, egg, soy, and wheat allergies), peanut and tree nut allergies are lifelong in most people."

http://kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/nutrition/nut_allergy.html

Good luck with your vendetta against parents that wish to feed their children what they wish.

PS. did the parents that also have kids in your class get a notice that they aren't supposed to be sending tree-nuts in with their kid, or were the teachers expecting the children to tell their parents what they shouldn't be taking to class? I wouldn't be suprised with the latter here...

16 Sep 2010
Mary Jane
Posts:36
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

I was actually VERY surprised when we started school here that the DoD schools allow peanut products. We have been in 4 different school systems in recent years and none of them allowed peanut products of any kind becuase of the severity of peanut allergies.  We are lucky, my kids are allergic to all kinds of things too, but none of them life threatening upon simple contact.  But I have seen kids have these kinds of reactions and I have had life threatening reactions to medicines.  It's hard to explain to someone who has not experienced something like this just how scary and important it is, and how easily it can happen.  Most people think of allergies as itchy eyes, sneezing and rash.  Many folks don't realize how scary it is to watch your child swell up and stop breathing. 

I don't think it's asking too much for the school to be peanut free.  One of the schools we were at kept kosher.  Do you know how hard it is to pack lunches everyday (there were no school lunches), that had to be well-balanced, but we're allowed to contain no meat?  The lunches were checked and anything not allowed was pitched before lunch.  It took some getting used to and was not normal for us, but we accepted it when we chose to send our child to that school.  My child did not miss out on anyting, it was the same for ALL the kids.  And that had nothing to do with life and death, but religious teaching.  We really don't have as much choice in schools here. I doubt the seriousness of a peanut allergy would be better understood in an Italian school (one of my children attended a local school here and there was never a discussion of any foods that could not be brought to school).  And when you have a child with a life threatening allergy, can you even take the chance of sending them to a school where a misunderstanding could take place due to the language barrier?

With the school not being peanut free, a child with a peanut allergy is singled out.  When the school is peanut free, it's the same for everyone.  Just like at the school that kept kosher.  I don't know of any children whose well-being depends on getting to eat peanut butter at lunch. 

But I don't think parents are being deliberately mean.  For parents who don't have to worry about their child having a deadly reaction on a daily basis, they simply forget.  I know that seems impossible when it's so important to your child, but it what happens. 

Medicine is working on immunotherapy for peanut allergies, but until then, please have patience and understanding for parents who have to worry about this everyday.

16 Sep 2010
d
Posts:30
Re: Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Cit. Bleh wrote:

Good luck with your vendetta against parents that wish to feed their children what they wish.

Thankfully, my kids are compassionate caring individuals that know and understand that not having peanut butter isn't the end of the world.  It teaches them that they don't always get what they want.

Then again, in my household I actually "Parent" my children...it makes for a modeling them into respectable adults...


16 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

@ Bleh I see you and Angela have the same condition, failing to read before you reply.  My response to you is read my previous post.  The End

16 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

http://www.allergicchild.com/peanut_allergy.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peanut-allergy/DS00710
http://www.examiner.com/gluten-free-in-st-petersburg/peanut-allergies-on-the-rise-schools-may-ban-peanut-products
http://www.foodallergy.org/page/peanut-allergy 
http://www.foodallergy.org/page/tree-nut-allergy
             
and here is an article from the same web site Bleh posted from:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/allergies/nut_peanut_allergy.html#

                              
Allie the Allergic Elephant: A Children’s Story of Peanut Allergies

Allie the Allergic Elephant


16 Sep 2010
Lissa
Posts:8
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

AW, I highly suggest that you get in touch with the Prinicipal towards this matter. My husband and I are in disbelief that they would make your child eat alone??? My child was also in a "Peanut Free Class" last year, and no one had a problem with it- including myself.   My child too, loves PBJ sandwhiches, and I explained to her why she can not take it to school for lunch.  She was fine with it.  We switched it up, and I made her "healthy" tuna sandwhiches, turkey sandwiches, hotdogs,etc.  I made my daughter realize that she needed to be considerate of her fellow classmates's allergies, especially because it can lead to the ER.  To the one's that have strongly disagreed with you, have you noticed that the DOD school lunch menu does not serve Pork in any of their meals- not even hotdogs?  I was told it was due to the fact that because the students are multi international, some can not eat Pork due to their religion, so do you think that is alot to ask from the rest of the students that can and do eat Pork?  AW, is not asking for the entire school to commit to her child's allergy, just the classroom.  Unless, the teacher or the lunch monitors make each one of students of that class brunsh their teeth, and wash their hands- the easiest and practical thing to do is to not provide lunch with peanuts. And to that parent that sent a tray of peanutbutter cookies, and the teacher that allowed her to serve it- shame on you both.  My child's teacher, along with the room mother, and myself  were  very specific on what can and can not be brought to class parties.  AW, take this issue to the highest level possible, maybe DOD will just ban peanuts in general to make it safer for all students with this allergy, and then we can see how well the students that god forbid, can not have any other but PBJ sandwhich will have to deal with.

16 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

To Lissa, I am taking to the next level.   Unfortunately the Prinicipal is not here at the moment.  The School Nurse has sent out yet another letter.  I must say that his Teacher and the School Nurse are doing everything they can.   My son takes his lunch to school and has for the last 2 years so I had no idea about the pork issue thanks for the information....very interesting.  I'm glad to see that parent who children do not have issues are concerned.  What people seem to forget is that in some point in life (if one lives long enough) we will all need a caring hand.  

16 Sep 2010
KB
Posts:23
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

If your child has allergies severe enough that talking to a child that just ate some pb would kill him, why even take the risk of putting him in that situation. Home school until he is old enough to give himself one of those shots in case he does touch a peanut. You say he has really understanding friends that get why they can't have peanuts around him...he is 7, what kind of 7 year old is understanding? They are still learning concepts, and while they may put the mask of understanding on, they are still 7. I would understand if the school was preparing meals that include nuts, or processed where they also process nuts, but here you are just telling parents that got stuck having their child in a class with yours what they need to feed their child. I find that unfair...but once again, do these parents know about your kids food allergies? Did you rely on the school to tell them, because from what I've heard and observed the school and day care out here sucks as far as letting parents know about what is happening in school/daycare.

16 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Once again Bleh you have FAILED!  Read my previous post...Once again READ MY PREVIOUS POST!  If you had done that, then you would have read that my son reacts to CONTACT and INGESTION,  NOT INHALATION which is what you are talking about.  I believe someone was even kind enough to post the definitions of all three. Now I can sit here and type out several colorful names to call you, but like I stated in my first post, I do not hide behind computer screens.  I will however say this You Will Reap What You Sow.

16 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Posts:123
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

This is just an idea, but why not find out who your sons buddies are in the class and talk to their parents about what they eat for lunch or if they buy a lunch (no nuts) then have just those kids sit with your son for lunch every day.  I know that has been done in the past so children w/allergies do not sit alone, I believe that is a reasonable thing to ask.  I am sure something could be worked out and not every kid in the class eats PB and jelly.   I think asking for a ban on PB and Jelly is a lot to ask of some kids (although I fully understnad your worry and concern) but for example a few years ago I knew a little boy here who would not eat anything but PB and Jelly sandwiches every day, with a bag of chips, a hersheys kiss and a juice (he was autistic) and because of that for him to have a good day his routine could not be changed, including his lunch, his routine was down pat!  As for class parties I fully agree, there should not be any parent bringing in nuts to the class, I truly believe that should be respected.

16 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

To Joanne , as I have stated before I have spoken to the parents in my son's class the whole class and  no I did not single out certain students.  Like I have said before if need be I will isolate him from others during lunch and snack his safety is more important.  Even-though he will not be eating with them, they will still need to wash their hands.  I truly hope that people out there never find themselves in his shoes and if they ever do I hope mercy is received even though none has been given.

16 Sep 2010
d
Posts:39
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Bleh, my son is 6 and has more compassion and clearly more understanding than you do in your pinky.  Seriously it's like saying that you won't outlaw guns in school because your child wants to take one.  WHO CARES, be a grown up and tell your child what is appropriate, how to be a kind person.  Perhaps your children aren't understanding because you haven't taught them that aspect of life.  Peanut products have the ability to kill this woman's child, as does a gun.

Joanne, being autistic is not life threatening.  Telling children they can't have a darn condiment for a half hour lunch break is a lot to ask?  No.  Asking a child to go to school under the possiblity of getting sick/hurt/killed because other parents are too selfish and can't teach their children compassion...that's a lot to ask.

16 Sep 2010
Leticia
Posts:2
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

My daughters teacher asked us on the 1st day of school not to send any kind of peanut products to school, and I respect that,  if my little one wants a PB&J sandwich I explain to her that there are some children that can get very sick with peanut-butter so she gets a CC&J Sandwich instead. 


  1.  Spread cream cheese on one slices of bread.     Spread jelly on the other  slice.
    Its not hard to substitute, and they are good just let the cream cheese out for a couple of minutes to soften up a little.  
    http://www.food.com/recipe/cream-cheese-and-jelly-sandwich-118116 

     Some people just need to be more carful and think of others a little. 


17 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Posts:123
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

AW.  I'm sorry, I thought my post was sympathetic and was showing you compassion? I truly feel for your son's allergy.  I thought my suggestion was a positive one I truly was just trying to help.  Like you said for the kids playing outside they all (we hope) wash their hands especially if they had any peanut product in their lunch, although just an FYI they go straight from the table to outside unless they need to use the bathroom.  I know if it had been one of my children I would have defiantly talked with their friend's parents about the situation and I am 100% sure they would have understood.  I too would have hated the thought of my kids eating alone (although my son chooses to do so everyday but that's just him, he's a very quite kid) you could also have him sit in the nurses office to eat or front office, at least he could sit and talk with the adults.  Again, I would see about talking with a couple of his friend's parents, I am sure they too would fully understand and not all kids have PB and Jelly for lunch.  I know with one of our peanut butter allergy kids we would let the children who bought a lunch at school (again nut free) sit with her for that reason.  You could do the same, at least you know if they bought a school lunch your son would be ok and he would have someone to sit with, just re-alliterate to the monitors about his allergy, I know they would keep a watchful eye on him..

17 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Posts:123
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

D, Unless you have worked with a child with severe autism then you wouldn't understand.  I fully sympathize about her son's allergy and truly feel for her "however" I was just making a point about the child with autism, no it's not life threatening but to that child who all of a sudden after years of the same thing and then it changes (you can NOT make a  6 year old autistic child understand about peanut allergies) can truly throw his whole schedule off where he can't function.

I did not post to start a verbal argument back and forth, I thought I had left a good suggestion to help her not hinder. As for telling her about the other child, we also need to be sympathtic to that mom and her sons needs.  It's not about being fair its about everybody getting what he or she needs.

If a child is hearing impaired then we give them a surround sound system

If a child is having a difficult time seeing the white board then we let them sit up front

If a child is in a wheel chair then we make sure they have ramps

If a child is on crutches then they get to use the elevator and give them a helper

If a child has sever allerigies then we make accommodations for them.

Again, it's not about being fair its about everybody getting what he or she needs to help them, especially in school to be successful and feel successful and have a great day in school, which for some kids can be really hard to begin with.

 

17 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

http://www.boozman.house.gov/UploadedFiles/ED%20-%20IDEA%20Overview%20%28CRS%29.pdfhttp:

http://edlabor.house.gov/publications/IDEAOverview.pdf

http://archives.republicans.edlabor.house.gov/archive/issues/109th/education/idea/ideafaq.pdf

As an American my son has the right to a free, safe and public education regardless of his disability (yes his allergy is considered to be a disability) and he has the Federal Governments Backing.                                                                Enough said.


17 Sep 2010
ANON
Posts:28
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Concerned Mommies/Daddies,

As a separate, lighthearted aside to the topic of peanut allergies (which do not generally include the entire nut family, ie., almond, walnut, pine nut, pistacchio), I would like to politely put in a plug for Nutella (made from hazelnut).

It is the national food of Italy and my kids love their occasional 'chocolate' and jelly sandwiches. 

 

 

17 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Posts:123
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

AW wrote: As an American my son has the right to a free, safe and public education regardless of his disability (yes his allergy is considered to be a disability) and he has the Federal Governments Backing.    

The "504" in "504 plan" refers to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, which specifies that no one with a disability can be excluded from participating in federally funded programs or activities, including elementary, secondary or postsecondary schooling. "Disability" in this context refers to a "physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities." This can include physical impairments; illnesses or injuries; communicable diseases; chronic conditions like asthma, allergies and diabetes; and learning problems. A 504 plan spells out the modifications and accommodations that will be needed for these students to have an opportunity perform at the same level as their peers, and might include such things as wheelchair ramps, blood sugar monitoring, an extra set of textbooks, a peanut-free lunch environment, home instruction, or a tape recorder or keyboard for taking notes.

AW; and that means EVERY child or Adult (in school or the work place) with a disability or an IEP or under the EFMP program for the military.  Again its not about giving in to one child its about all children/Americans who need something to help them in school or work.  From a speech problem all the way through to nut allergies, autism, hearing impairment,  LDs (learning disabilities) or in a wheel chair.  There are too many disabilities to list.  AW, I am fully aware of the 504 plan and what it does for Americans of all ages.  Again I am sympathetic to your sons allergy but if a child in the school falls under the 504 plan then they also get what they need!

                                                           

17 Sep 2010
KB
Posts:23
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Okay, contact allergy got it, so I know kids are messy and all, but are they having food fights with peanut butter? Are all of these kids not home trained? Don't they know to wash their hands before and after eating? Does your child touch other kids' food? Does your child know not to eat anything that mommy doesn't pack for him?

Teach kids to keep their hands to theirselves and it sounds like you have a solution. Schools should be stocked with hand sanitizer by now, make the kids use that before going into a classroom to keep any kind of bi-product of anything from getting onto desks, chairs, etc. School lunch tables should be getting cleaned anyway, so the idea that a kid with contact allergies would have to sit alone is stupid, and I don't see a school that would openly single someone out that way. 

Sorry that I'm compassionless, I just don't see the need for all children to suffer, aka make accomodations, for one child when all he needs to do is keep his hands to himself and have friends that won't touch him or anything of his if they've been eating peanuts. I do agree that you should have a peanut free classroom, but before bashing the parents of the kids in the class (saying they are trying to kill your kid), be sure that they know they aren't supposed to be sending peanut products to school with their kid.

And realize, this isn't something they (the parents) live with everyday, with that said, I can see it slipping from their mind that they should be sending peanut free products with their child (with no allergies) to school. With emphasis on it being the beginning of the school year there is a lot going on right now for all parents, so the parents that belong to the kids in your kids class may need a simple reminder. Ask the teacher to send a letter home with each of the kids to remind the parents that peanuts are not allowed in the classroom and why. Because coming on NAH and complaining isn't going to solve your problems.

17 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Posts:123
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

AW.. Wrote........To Joanne , as I have stated before I have spoken to the parents in my son's class the whole class and  no I did not single out certain students.  Like I have said before if need be I will isolate him from others during lunch and snack his safety is more important.  Even-though he will not be eating with them, they will still need to wash their hands.  I truly hope that people out there never find themselves in his shoes and if they ever do I hope mercy is received even though none has been given

AW.  I was not saying to "single" out any child, but to see if the ones who are friends with your son might be able to sit with him for lunch, especially if they buy a lunch as you know the bought lunches are nut free. The monitors can make sure they wash their hands and that way your son has friends to eat lunch with.  Again just an FYI, once lunch is finsihed ALL children go outside and do not wash their hands before going out.  Or get in touch with a couple of the parents who your son plays with, if they bring lunch to school just ask would it be ok if now and again they could bring something which does not contain peanuts (not all kids like P and J)  Again, I am sure the monitors will make sure their hands are washed before sitting w/your son.  There is always a solution and I'm sure there are many people who will be happy to work with you. 

I understand your son has this allergy and I am sure he carries an EPI pin (or the school nurse has one) other than keeping him home which I am sure you don't want to do that as he needs to be like other kids and be treated the same.  Other than pulling him to home school you will just have to trust in the school and a few of his close friends and teachers to keep an eye on him, I am sure he will do great.

17 Sep 2010
ABE
Posts:37
Re: Peanut-Free

Wow...from what I've read, this seems to be a pretty heated discussion! (Roasting those nuts!! : )  )

 My son is allergic to nuts and also has autism, my daughter has neither challenge, so I can really sypathize with you. My first year w/ DoDDS I was "Peanut Free." (as well as the entire hallway, b/c of the 2 students in my class.) Even though the students and parents were informed--and trying-- you'd be amazed at how often that stuff would pop up. The mom even sent home a list of products that contained peanuts, as her son--and another child in my class--would go into anaphalactic shock if they even inhaled it. (At the end of the year, the mom gave me a massage certificate, if that gives you any indication of how much we were tweaked out by being on "high alert" over this situation!) One Jewish child's parents had their child transferred out to another hallway b/c they felt like it restrictied his already restricted diet too much. 

 Saw the comment about Nutella and thought that was cute. Might I add another suggestion? (Not a chocolate fan for my kids. My daughter has a personality change when she eats chocolate!) 

SUN BUTTER!

 Sun butter is made from sunflower seeds and, for kids who aren't allergic to PB, it doesn't contain partially hydrogenated oils, so it is a healthier choice in that aspect. (The com also sells PB w/o PHOils, too.) I prefer the taste of SB--it tastes similar and is not as heavy-tasting as PB. The label says that it is made from SFseeds, dehyd cane juice, salt, and natural mixed tocopherols (to preserve freshness.) (Made in a facility that is peanut and tree nut-free. Is made on equipment that processes soybeans, though, for those who have soy allergies.) Located in the com near the peanut butter. A 16oz jar is about 4.79.

 Hope this info makes life easier for those sweet kids who are allergic to nuts as well as those sweet kids who still want some PB&J at school but need to make sure their classmates don't get sick b/c of it. 

 

17 Sep 2010
ABE
Posts:37
Re: Peanut-Free

 Oh, one more thing re Kids and responsibility--How many of you enter the bathroom to find that, dispite your exhaustive efforts, punishment, and stopping just short of an electronic alarm system, your kids still have yet to get that they are to flush the toilet after themselves (don't even get me going with good aim!) yet alone wash their hands before and after eating! Sometimes, the teachers don't even send them wash before eating their (snacks and/or) lunch! I think I better start putting Wet Wipes in their lunch boxes.

 (And if ya don't believe me, check out the color of a used wet wipe or have them wash when they come home after school and note the color of the soap that drips off!) 

 I feel a good idea for a science project coming on!

17 Sep 2010
d
Posts:39
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Bleh- I really don't think she was complaining.  I think a lot of parents come onto NAH to looks at posts (or keep up with drama ;) )  so I'm sure this was another way of letting parents know. I think you mentioned you had children right..and you're reading it...so it is a good forum to educate people.  With young children -elementary school age..I know it doesn't take a food fight to get food on them.  Every single one comes home with something on his/her shirt from lunch.

Joanne, you're right I don't have an autistic child, I can't remember if you said you had a child with autism or worked with one, either way I have only experience it with a friend that has a child with autism and it's very mild.  It's a very hard job either way and  I'm sure of that, and i bet you have a big heart because of it.  I've read that a diet of certain foods can help, have you had any luck with that.  I'm not asking because i'm trying to compare it to the allergy, I'm genuinly curious.

All that being said,  unfortunately we can't make people think the way we want them too, all we can do is inform and educate.  Thank you for making us aware!

17 Sep 2010
Kathy
Posts:20
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

AW- As ABE said above, I see this is pretty heated. I'm not on the site often and have actually only posted maybe once, several months ago but this caught my attention and I have an honest question and suggestion.


I'll preface it by stating that i'm not being sarcastic or trying to be rude or insensitive. 
I do not have children at the school but I presume they offer school bought lunches right? Is it possible that your son sit in between 2 children who have purchased a school lunch? I truly sympathize with you as a mother but in reality, because of our love for our kids, sometimes we let things get blown out of proportion. A close friend of mine, an adult with 5 kids is extremely allergic to all nuts. Inhalation and skin contact yet she makes her kids PJB sandwiches. She opens a window in the kitchen so she is standing near fresh air and doesnt touch the peanut better just the knife and the bread. I looked online for some statistics and found that only 1 death in the UK from 1990-2000 was caused by a food allergy and it wasnt a nut allergy. In the US the most recent data from the CDC is 11 deaths in the year 2005 for all food related allergy deaths. 11! I'm not the best at math but 11 out of a what.. 300 million? The first 5 years of my daughters life was a nightmare with asthma. She was admitted to the hospital twice but the Dr reminded me of the statistics and told me that as long as I have her inhaler and am attentive to take her to the hospital if need be I dont need to worry about her dying. Being gripped by fear is a frightening place as a mom.
Again I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive (I state it b/c you cant hear a persons tone through a written message and I want you to know my tone is one of care and concern and not judgement or lashing out) but realistically speaking your son wont die if another child in his class has a PBJ. He may get a skin allergy or need to take a puff from an inhaler or need some other allergy pill but my daughter has to do the same thing if she plays with someone whose touched a cat. She's had an asthma attack trying on a shirt in a dressing room after some else tried it on who apparently had cats! Should all of the kids in her class be forced to have pet free homes? In the US there are approx. 5,000 deaths per year b/c of asthma as opposed to the 11 from food allergies. 
 I am in full agreement of the school not serving peanuts but it is perfectly reasonable for other kids to eat peanut products at lunch and your son to sit next to a few kids that didn't. 
Also, I noticed (with the help of our pediatrician) that if we over react and stretch their sicknesses it has a serious negative effect on our children. If you are calm and controlled they will be also. Someone early on in the thread (she has a form of dwarfism) said something really good about adapting to things. Dont give your son a crutch and an 'I'm a victim' outlook on life or he'll always be fighting just to stay above water and will be afraid of everything. I encourage you to try and calm your fear and read a bit about illnesses and allergies being exaggerated. Here is one article I found but I've read many others over the years especially regarding asthma. In my opinion any medical anything that is prompted or promoted by fear needs to be looked at more closely. (I know that is pretty vague but this thread isn't about medicine ;)
Have a great day and I hope the school year gets better for you and your family, Kathy
     

17 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

@ Kathy you must think I'm stupid, if you would have me believe for one minute that someone who has the most severe level of this allergy which is inhalation goes anywhere near nuts.  Tell your lie to someone who does not know any better.

17 Sep 2010
AW
Posts:14
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

  People on here can down play my son's situation all they want.If lying to yourself is what you need to do to sleep at night I can not (and wouldn't waste the energy if I could) stop you,  it is

what it is.This was my first time posting on here and  I am very glad I did.Thanks for those who gave their support and understand that sometimes our own likes and loves can be set aside to allow someone the enjoyment life has to offer. For all others this post just confirms how un-nerving, self-centered and egotistical

most of the people who live here are.Kudos to all who have showed

that giving up one condiment, for one half hour, five days a week to allow a

child to be a "regular kid" was to much to ask for.  This is my final post.

17 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Posts:123
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Kathy, I liked your post, it was positive, helpful and I am with you on a lot of what you wrote.  I am sure the doctors, teachers and school nurse roll their eyes at this mom.  Not taking anything away on the severity an allergy can be, but if it was so life threatening I am sure the overseas screening would have caught it and not allowed her son out here.  Airplanes, lobbies, wait rooms, shops selling peanuts; I mean the list is endless.  What happens if a person ate some peanuts didn't wash their hands then got on the plane, or in a movie theatre, shop, or cafe?  It is obvious AW's son is the only one at the NES who has nut/food allergies.  Sorry ppl for sounding UN-sympathetic but there have been many moms's on here truly giving some good advice.  Kathy (like myself) both have said let her son sit with the kids who buy their lunch as the lunches do NOT contain any nut product, they could still sit on a different table, she is not willing even to try.  There are and have been many kids with food allergies at the NES (some VERY severe) I have not known one die from sitting with friends on a nut free table. The only other solution is to home school or put him in a bubble.  "Or" like she has been doing, make everyone aware of this allergy and make sure there is an EPI pen available and let her kid be a kid. Any-who!

 

D. thanks for asking about my kids :) both are on IEP's and under the EFMP but not because of autism.  I am a teacher and have worked very closely with children with disabilities (they are all very near and dear to my heart) I also teach special education classes.  Again thanks for asking, that was nice.

17 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Posts:123
Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

Sorry but I had to look at all the other food allergies children can have which require an EPI pen.

  • Milk
  • Eggs
  • Fish
  • Crustacean shellfish
  • Tree nuts
  • Peanuts
  • Wheat
  • Soybeans
  • Mushrooms
  • Peaches
  • Bananas
  • The point I'm making is, if we ban ALL nut products then maybe we should look into other food products some kids have allergies to.  But what the heck! eating is over rated...right?

     

    17 Sep 2010
    Kathy
    Posts:20
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    AW- my phone # is 082-570-2596 if you'd like to talk and I'd be happy to give you my friends number if you think I'm lying. I promise you that I'm not and I'm truly sorry that you feel the way you do.... Kathy

    17 Sep 2010
    Christina
    Posts:37
    Re: Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    Cit. AW wrote:
    @ Kathy you must think I'm stupid, if you would have me believe for one minute that someone who has the most severe level of this allergy which is inhalation goes anywhere near nuts.  Tell your lie to someone who does not know any better.
    @ AW - I have followed this blog since your original post. I have four

    children, none of which have any kind of allergy. I must say I have

    learned a lot. But, to be honest, mostly from other respondents. It has opened up a dialog that was (apparently) badly needed.

    What I don't understand is...Why are you so rude and indifferent to those showing compassion and interest on this topic? I am absolutely appalled at your reply to Kathy! Would it be better if no one was talking about it? Maybe if you changed your attitude a little you could get your point across better and get some results.

    17 Sep 2010
    M
    Posts:2
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    Thanks so much for that being your last post AW... Now if only you would do something more actively to spread awareness in the community of your situation instead of being bitchy on a forum to anyone with an opinion outside of your own, you might see some changes.... #That is all... :)

    18 Sep 2010
    TCB
    Posts:14
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    I don't think ANYONE here is making light of your son's allergy, but I do think you need to take a chill pill and let your son be a kid, have friends at lunch and let the experts at the school keep a watchful eye on him.  If you don't trust anyone to do that then home school him or like someone said put him in a bubble.

    18 Sep 2010
    nakeesha
    Posts:7
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    ALL of those concerned or not,

    I’ve read Angela Wooten’s last line and unlike you blog cowards I

    have contacted her personally to find truth. 

    All of you can have your opinions but be sure to state that they are

    just that… your opinion.  I’ve separated her

    opinion and verified that it is fact. 

    She has physically shown me several denial letters that she submitted to

    the Naples Hospital and to Fleet and Family for Emergency Return of Depend (ERD)

    stating that her son’s allergy can be handled in the Naples Area of

    Responsibility (AOR).  For those who are

    unaware the overseas screening process with reference Exceptional Family Member

    (EFM) it simply puts a category on an EFM. 

    FACT… The Naples AOR can sustain a category II which Angela Wooten’s

    Child was denied and the reason for the denial states that because his peanut

    allergy is so common that Department of

    Defense Education Activity (DODEA) schools will accommodate for his

    type of allergy.  FACT… DODEA schools are

    accommodating these food allergies making parent aware that her son’s classroom

    is a nut free zone.  DODEA are accommodating

    by sending letters to parents, having signs posted outside of his classroom however;

    some parents of other children are not.  FACT…

    this is why she started this blog.

    My husband and

    I are parents of two children who have “common allergies” and simply wish the

    support of all who understand and invite all those who do not to mentally place

    yourselves in our shoes and seek understanding so that something really bad

    doesn’t happen to your children.

    FACT…. @ M… AW

    is not being B#$%^& (your opinion) she is simply being a concerned mother

    for her son’s health and well-being. 

    18 Sep 2010
    TCB
    Posts:14
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    Working at the school, what about bee stings and kids who are allergic still get to play outside...in the summer.... :)  I totally agree with what everyone after AW's post has wrtten about trying to be helpful, there were some awesome suggestions. I know if my kids were allergic I would have welcome'd the ideas and true support. 

    AW, I think you are quite new here, there are a lot of people reaching out to you, listen to them, please don't take it as criticism, we are one big family here who truly (even with our own opinions) do try to help each other, on and off the base, on this board etc)  Maybe if you were not so quick to judge that no one understood you would make some new wonderful friends who will also help to watch out for your son, you could help educate each other.  For all the couple of years I have lived here I have known of MANY kids with severe allergies and not one has died from sitting next to a friend at lunch.  Please AW, listen to some of these wonderful ladies, at one time or another we all pass through the school be it a parent, volunteer or teacher we are here to help all the kids.

    18 Sep 2010
    NAH Administrator
    Moderator
    Posts:35
    Re: Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    Cit. Lucy wrote:  

     ...we are one big family here who truly (even with our own opinions) do try to help each other, on and off the base, on this board etc)... 

    I like this Lucy...thank you....

    ;-)

    18 Sep 2010
    nakeesha
    Posts:7
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    @ Lucy and All others Concerned,

    Since we are one big family we should not only help each other but bring a sense of comfort for each other.  Accommodating for each others needs.  Like courteous smokers do for non-smokers separating  themselves from common areas for those who do not desire or simply don't need to be around smoke (like children).  The classroom of a child , lunch room, and the playground of a child is are common areas.

    If we were truly a family, Like my personal family who also has a sensitivity to nuts we simply do not it.  We've found alternatives... Like I said in a previous post Sun butter made from sunflower seeds which is an delicious, nutritional alternative to peanut butter.



    18 Sep 2010
    nakeesha
    Posts:7
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/386940/product_review_sunbutter_an_alternative.html?cat=22

    please everyone check out this link.

    sun butter vs peanut butter.

    18 Sep 2010
    ABE
    Posts:37
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

      

    Christina, Lucy, and Joanne: Great posts--very educating, too, the extensive post that talked about asthma. The part about the screening reminded me of something I'd like to share.

     In that same class that I had 2 students with nut allergies, I also had a little fella who had a medical condition that made it impossible for him to throw up. He had no peristaltic action b/c, as a child, his esophagus had started to rot and the Dr's had to cut out the rotting segment and stretch it up to his throat. If this child were to choke, he could not be Heimliched--the school nurse was instructed that he would have to cut his windpipe open. Why? Because he lived on a housing detachment (along with the other 2 students with severe nut allergies) and the complex was at least 15 minutes form the main base. I talked to the mom extensively about her child's situation, as it made absolutely no sense whatsoever that they were not housed  at the main base (with a hospital.) She informed me that they shouldn't even be overseas and that they had fought it extensively, but the powers that be wouldn't listen and felt that her child life was not endangered. Hmmm....

      That being said, I want to make it clear that all three children survived their year in my classroom, (and all of the following) even with Oscar Meyer lunches being opened to find peanut products inside and quite a few months of us searching for "surprises" and turning on extra vigilance every time we got a new student because, without fail, the parents would slip up and send in something in that had nuts. The school nurse must have about a dozen epi-pens in her office and has been with the school for several years, so I'm sure that she is highly qualified to take care of the situation, if she has not done so several times already. And then, the hospital is close enough that EMT's could be  there in the matter of minutes and the child could be rushed to the ER  probably before the parent could make it there themselves.

      BTW, the students, at the tender age of 5, took care of those kids and were so wonderful. If they spotted anything they even thought could be a problem they would immediately tell an adult. The children themselves, knew exactly what was off-limits and, if they spotted any of the food that could not be eaten, they knew to get away and let us know immediately. Parents, teachers, kids, admin--we all worked together as a team to solve the challenges and take care of each other. What an incredible life lesson! We didn't just say it, but we lived it and, in turn, we all became more compassionate, accomodating, and caring individuals.

     God bless you all who have offered so much help and have helped educate us all!         

    18 Sep 2010
    Kathy
    Posts:20
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    Nakeesha, 

    The 2 posts above mine are still awaiting approval so I'm not sure what will be said but I would like to clarify something...
    You said 'Since we are one big family we should not only help each other but bring a sense of comfort for each other.  Accommodating for each others needs. '
    That is exactly what I was trying to do, I think I made that every clear, and her response was totally unjustified. Why in the world would I come on here spend time writing a helpful message and then create a lie ?? honestly! She does need to take a chill pill like another poster said. I have no idea where she is coming from with her comment to me, that is why I left my number so she can call.(hope you werent lumping me in with the blog cowards)

    As for things being FACT vs. OPINION. She stated in her first post that her son will get hives if he touches nuts and 'If he ingest them he will go into respiratory arrest and then cardiac arrest.  THEY 
    WILL KILL HIM!! ' (-AW)

    So the fact is that other children eating something with nuts, not just a PBJ, will NOT 'kill' her son. He will need to INGEST them in order for him to go into respiratory arrest. In second grade he should not be eating other children's food nor sticking other's utensils in his mouth (if someone were to use a fork to eat a Reese's PB cup or nut butter sandwich) Sure, the fact is that he has a horrible allergy, I feel for her! SO DOES MY DAUGHTER! What I/we were trying to do was encourage her to get a reality check! Maybe that is a bit sarcastic or rude but I LIVE what she lives and she out right called me a liar. I'm not stooping to name calling but simply informing a mom they need a reality check... that is necessary sometimes especially when they are attacking other mothers with ridiculous claims like trying to kill her son. (the greater problem is that she apparently believes her claims)

    If she doesn't want kids eating any product with nuts b/c her child may get hives, she is stretching it...kids get hives from lots of the above mentioned (in other posts) food allergies and they are not ban from schools. Parents just need to teach their kids about their allergies and warn them not to touch things they are allergic to or they will itch and ooze! It's part of life! Like getting poison ivy or touching fire ants. 
    I am not military and no nothing about your procedures but if her requests were denied it's for a reason! His class IS nut free. She is trying to avoid hives by denying other children the right to eat nuts AWAY from her son. She never answered the other parents on here as to why her son cant sit in between 2 kids eating a school lunch, that way if he does eat their food he wont die or if he touches it he wont get hives. That is a perfectly reasonable accommodation!
    aaaandd! IF for some reason he did decide to eat a bite of someone else's sandwich you are 2 minutes from a hospital for goodness sake! he would get treatment and LIVE. The other kids are not going to KILL him. 
    -My daughter has almost stopped breathing (she passed out, began drooling, breathing was extremely labored and she began vomiting as her body's way of forcing her to exhale) b/c of her cat allergy on more than one occasion. I've chosen to homeschool her partly b/c the Italian school near us doesnt have a nurse and when it happened at school the teachers were justifiably terrified and I dont want to put the responsibility of her life in their hands and it is unreasonable for me to expect that other kids in her class give up cats at home! 
    So I DO FEEL her pain of having a sick kid BUT she is unreasonable and from what I've read seems pretty selfish. I still wish her and her son the very best. 
    Kathy

    18 Sep 2010
    nakeesha
    Posts:7
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/42718132.html
    saved a 8 year life..... An 8-year-old Colorado Springs girl is so allergic to peanuts she can have a reaction just from inhaling peanut dust. Now, thanks to a dog, she is getting to live a normal life.

    20 Sep 2010
    IZ
    Posts:3
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    Kathy, well said! excellent post. Angela, you also made some really great points, not sure why you were being attacked.

    I am surprised that the child in question passed overseas screening if his life is threatened. This child must surely (if military) be an EFMP child, if it is as severe as stated should be above a category 2 which surprises me that he was even allowed overseas. Now everyone, before you all attack me this is the military that makes these rules up not me. 

    There are six EFMP enrollment categories which include:

    • Category I – for monitoring purposes only
    • Category II - pinpoint to specific geographic locations
    • Category III - no overseas assignments
    • Category IV - major medical areas in CONUS
    • Category V - homesteading
    • Category VI - temporary enrollment - update required in 6-12 months

    21 Sep 2010
    JoAnne
    More than 100 messages post
    Posts:123
    Re: Peanut Free Does Mean Their Giving Away Free Peanuts!

    Ok, I do believe I was in the wrong when I took it upon myself to believe that all kids with severe allergies basically have all the same severity especially when an EPI pen is used....I was wrong! and am now apologizing to Angela for presuming that very thing. I truly thought I was helping when I asked and couldn't understand why he couldn't sit with any other kids specially the ones buying the lunches, now I know. It does not matter how I know but I was told Angela's son has a VERY severe allergy and he can break out just by touching a nut, God forbid he inhales anything. So Angela, I hope you accept my apology as it is heart felt and sincere.