follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
11 Sep 2010
Lori
Pets

I am just wondering why some people on here are so cruel to some pet owners that are not able to continue to take care of keep a animal they have had or adopted here in Naples.  I know people should think twice before adopting, but on the otherhand some people have circumstances that lead to them trying to find their pets good new homes.  I for one am in that situation.  I just cannot give my cat the attention he needs and he is showing his tail off because of it.  I love my cat, but being pregnant and not being able to do some things for him breaks my heart.  People have to do what they have to do.  I think some people on here rather spurt off at the mouth because they have nothing better to do, stop judging others when you may not know the whole story.  There, I spoke my peace about this and please do not respond as I am not someone to argue with nor will I entertain it either.  Thank you for reading.

13 Sep 2010
KB
Re: Pets

Because people tend to think of the "here and now" they don't think about "what will happen if.." like in your case, did you ever think when picking up the cute little kitty that you are now abandoning, "will I be able to give him the attention he needs when I have a baby of my own" if you had given serious thought to it you probably would not have taken him in and he could be with someone who can give him the attention he needs to be a happy kitty. Not with someone who is ditching him as though he doesn't mean anything to you at all. I get that you are attempting to find him a good home and I wish you well on that.

I recommend taking him back to the states and dropping him off at a humane society, as that is the only way you can guarantee to not have him be a Naples "fix" pet, i.e. changing homes every 2-3 years.

13 Sep 2010
Lori

I did not make this post for others to bash me.  I did not think I was ever going to get pregnant so NO, that was never a thought that ran through my mind.  I also did not say  I was for sure letting my cat go to another family.  I thought I might get some advice on her rather than getting a bashing.  When I did pick him up for the first time I knew he was going to be a forever cat at and not for the time being.  Circumstances happen and I am in a predicament at this point and I am not sure what to do.  SO in stead of bashing me, I would appreciate some good advice Please.  Thanks.

13 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

Your last post under "Crying Cat"

Thanks for all the info and advice.  I know he is not sick in anyway.  I do think it is separation anxiety because he is really attached to me and I feel bad all the time when I have to leave him for any length of time.  I want to make sure he is getting the attention he needs and deserves.  And NO I would not give him away just because he gets on my nerves or because he cries too much.  I am not one of the typical pet owners that give my animal away when they get tired of them or just don't wnat to take them to their next duty station.  I love my cat, like he is my son.  Thanks again.

Lori, take him to the vet, let them give you advise.  I wish I could give you the answer to why he is crying? I know one of my males at times does the same thing, not always but on occasion, he also gets very needy at night and wants to be petted which we do, half a sleep but he gets petted and then he settles down.  He is 9 years old and our second cat also a male is 1-1/2 years picked up here on the ss at 3 weeks, bottle fed, loved by the whole family and is the most ornery cat ever, to the point of being really mean.  I guess you can never tell what a cat is going to be like until they become an adult.  I guess Lori what I'm saying is we just take the good with the bad.  Our older cat is quite sweet where the young one is a little devil, but at the end of the day he is our little devil and wouldn't put him on any one else (I don't think anyone else would put up with him LOL)  Good Luck with yours, I hope the vet can help.

15 Sep 2010
Lori

The Vets says theres nothing wrong with him.  He is still crying at night and throughout the day.  I give him as much attention as I possibly can and it is like clockwork, 3am crying like a banchie.  We try to get him to get back in bed but he won't.  We give him treats and that works for about 5 minutes.  We are not getting up and staying up because he wants us to, so what next???  Please we need help because I am loosing alot of sleep over this in more ways than one.

15 Sep 2010
Angela
More than 50 messages post

Have you tried introducing another cat or dog to him for play time? You may be giving him attention by petting etc, but he may need more mental stimulation. I would try and find a friend who  you can have a play date with and see if that helps. Exercise and mental stimulation are important for some cats. If he is not getting this he may be asking for it at night, remember cats are nocturnal creatures by nature.

Try some new toys, a new friend, teach him to walk on a leash and take him for outings, drive him around in the car if he  likes car rides, something so he can have some mental stimulation.

Also try to have an intense play time before your bed time to try and tire the cat out.  Then shut the cat in a separate room with toys, get earplugs, headphones or whatever and stop rewarding the crying for attention.

If its not medical, then its behavioral and by constantly giving in to the cat you are teaching him how to act (just like children, if you give in to tantrums, they will continue to throw them). So work on stimulating him, not just by petting or talking to him, but by making sure he is getting exercise and mental stimulation.

Also make sure his diet is in control. get the most nutrious cat food you can so all of his nutritional needs are met (cheap foods are cheap for a reason).

15 Sep 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

Lori, when we have had problems with cats we have reverted to a sure fire and painless cure the "Spray Bottle" We kept a spray bottle by our bed for when we have watched cats and for the ones which decide to yowl all night long a good spray seems to do the trick.  It is also the way we trained our cats from scratching the furniture as we don't believe in declawing, that also worked.  Give it a try for a few nights, I bet it will work for you.

20 Sep 2010
Lori

Ok folks, we have tried the squirt bottle when he crying like a banchie at 3am, we have tried amany other things and he is still acting out.  He just wants someone to be up with him at 3am.  I understand he senses I am pregnant and I am not giving him the attention I used to and I feel horrible and thats why I would like to find him a good home where he can get the needed attention.  This is one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made.  I am not one of the typical pet owners here that gets rid of my pet when I PCS because like I have said before we don't PCS till next year.  I am also tired of being bashed on this site as well, but I am at a loss and don't know whick way to turn anymore.  If you know of someone who would be willing to take in my Stewie please let me know, otherwise please keep your rude comments to yourself.  Thank You.

20 Sep 2010
Angela
More than 50 messages post

How long have you been consistently doing these things?? It takes more than a few days. Like anything else this will take time to teach. It may be a few weeks to train the cat since you have reinforced the belief and behavior that you will get up if he hollers. So now you need to consistently teach him that he doesnt get his way.

And now that you have aired all his issues, you are going to find that many are not going to want to take a cat in that expects to be accompanied all night. You are just going to create more issues for your cat and pass the issues to others. This is not bashing, its the truth.

But good luck to your poor cat.

20 Sep 2010
IZ

I sure hope your new baby sleeps through the night, I would hate to see your child advertised on here. 

20 Sep 2010
M

@IZ, that's very ignorant to say. If it's that important to you, why don't you take the damn cat in and shut up..

20 Sep 2010
jessica

Ive had my cat for over 3 years and I just moved here and found out im pregnant. He to has started some insane crying at all hours of the night. We have a dog (smaller than cat) and they play all day long. Ive taken boxes and cut him houses etc He still cries all morning Im not sure what has gotten into him because i still pay just as much attention to him. We are going to buy some more toys for him to have while dog is asleep. I think its just to much going on with a crib coming in the house and mommy being sick all the time. Im hoping its a phase and he comes out of it because i CANNOT and WILL NOT give him up. If i find something that stops his crying ill let you know.

20 Sep 2010
TCB

IZ...... LMAO! now that was funny.

21 Sep 2010
Lori

As rude and obnoxious as some of you have been on here towards people having issues is why there are so many stray cats and dogs around.  If there were an ounce of decency in some of you then the ones having problems would either get the help they need or their pets would get the homes they deserve rather than becoming a statisitc.  Grow up folks and go by the golden rule " Do unto others as you would like done unto you".

21 Sep 2010
d

ADMINISTRATOR

You once told a person to watch their language when they used the word "Friggen" (after you let them post it), not a curse word, however you let the word "damn" in this post...what gives?  Last time i checked it's a curse word.

21 Sep 2010
NAH Administrator

Cit. 

Please, is there anyway to negate all this negativity on the forums?  Now, we are starting to see people use inappropriate language - remember, some of your users are younger community members (babysitters, etc).  If people can not behave appropriately, then cancel their account please so we don't have to be subjected to it ad nauseum (some are allowed to spread their nastiness repeatedly).  I appreciate your attention to this matter.

I noticed an increase in hostile and vulgar language posted in the forum. Please keep in mind that people of all ages review this web site for information. Keep your discussions sensible and without offending or abusive language.