follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » Crying Cat
08 Sep 2010
Lori
Crying Cat

I have a two year old cat that I adopted here and lately things have been changing around here with my cat especially.  I am pregnant and he cries alot now.  He especially cries at 3 am when my husband and I are trying to sleep.  Now he started crying while I take a nap during the day.  He sleeps with us most of the time, and it is his choice.  I have tried keeping him up during the day, but I work now so I am awayfrom the house for a few hours a couple times a day.  I give him alot of attention and I am just at my witts end what to do.  Any suggestions??  Please, before I find him a new home..

08 Sep 2010
Angela
More than 50 messages post
Re: Crying Cat

Honestly I would first take him to the vet and rule out any medical issues which can cause a change in behavior.

If that all checks out, then perhaps he is lonely if you are out of the house for part of the day and of course trying to sleep at night, he may just need more attention. Perhaps a friend or "playdate" could be arranged if he gets along with others.

Also, you do not say if he is spayed/neutered, if not then I would definitely have this done, could cause the crying all night.

08 Sep 2010
KB

If there is nothing medically wrong with him (check with the vet as soon as possible) then he may be suffering from separation anxiety. My cat has it, and it was triggered after I went on my first vacation, I was only gone for a couple of days but when I returned he would meow and meow until I stopped and gave him attention. I have since adopted a dog and he is much better now, he still meows at me when he wants attention, and at night he sleeps right next to me, but otherwise all is getting better. Try spending more time with him when you are at home, as cats have a tendency to pick their favorite human and stick with them so I doubt having someone check in with him/her during the daytime would fix the issue. Though it might, it is always worth a try. Here is a link with some helpful information about separation anxiety.

http://cats.about.com/od/stressanxietyincats/a/separationanxietyincats.htm

Of course you should check with your vet first...and don't get rid of him just because he is starved for attention, it is cruel and could make the problem worse for whoever takes him in.

08 Sep 2010
Carly

We have a very vocal cat as well. Just want to share some times that he starts to cry for us. If he sees another cat outside, he cries to be let out and play with the stray cats around the house. We don't let him out ever but he still cries. He also cries if he is hungry and there is no food in the food bowl. Same with water.

I know this might sound cruel, but you could train him to stop the behavior. Buy a squirt gun and when he starts to cry give him a squirt. I advise you first have him medically cleared and make sure there is not a physical reason why he is crying. Also, purchase some toys that he can play with while you are gone or asleep. The squirt gun method is safe and effective. We trained our cat to not jump up on counters and tables that way. It does not harm them in the slightest bit they just don't like to get wet.

Hope this helps a bit!

08 Sep 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post

Could be a urinary tract infection. Pain comes and goes and gradually get worse. I'd say definitely bring the cat into the vet ASAP.

08 Sep 2010
Lori

Thanks for all the info and advice.  I know he is not sick in anyway.  I do think it is separation anxiety because he is really attached to me and I feel bad all the time when I have to leave him for any length of time.  I want to make sure he is getting the attention he needs and deserves.  And NO I would not give him away just because he gets on my nerves or because he cries too much.  I am not one of the typical pet owners that give my animal away when they get tired of them or just don't wnat to take them to their next duty station.  I love my cat, like he is my son.  Thanks again.

05 Dec 2013
Jillian

You stated that you are pregnant and the cat may sense the change and also fear that it will loose your attention with the new baby. If there are no health problems I think this is the reason. Also someone said something about it being fixed, if they are not they will also cry/meow more, esecially with such a huge change in your body/life they would pick up on the hormones, etc. Good luck, I don't think there will be much change till your have the baby and if this cat is already so attached to you, another cat would make it even worse, because the cat would think you were replacing it. My mom had a cat that won't go near her anymore or even come in the house (indoor/outdoor cat) because she got a new one and it use to sleep with her and cuddle up to her all the time.