follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » String of Thefts in SS housing
26 Aug 2010
Mary Jane
String of Thefts in SS housing

In the last week or so it seems like we are constantly hearing about thefts of items from base housing. We in live in a ground floor apartment and so have no option but to store our outdoor items on a balcony that is accessible to anyone walking by. Does anyone know how to find out if Panorama can help us research a story on this?  I was thinking that maybe a Panorama story would put the word out a little better (especially if the consequences were spelled out) and maybe if parents were made a little more aware of items missing that they might be more vigilant to keep an eye out for an unexpected items their child might have acquired.  It just really, really bothers me that someone actually stole a child's walker.  How do we find out if security if actually doing anything about the thefts?  Are there any consequences if someone is caught? 

26 Aug 2010
jason
Re: String of Thefts in SS housing

Umm..did you see the ad asking for the return of a couple daughter's walker that was taken from outside their building so that she doesnt have to be in a wheelchair??? What is going on here??

28 Aug 2010
William

It really is quite frustrating. We've lived on base for a little under a year, and in that time we've had 3 bikes and a stroller stolen. When we lived out in town we NEVER had any problems. Something needs to be done...

04 Sep 2010
Blahblah
Re: Re: String of Thefts in SS housing

Cit. William wrote:
It really is quite frustrating. We've lived on base for a little under a year, and in that time we've had 3 bikes and a stroller stolen. When we lived out in town we NEVER had any problems. Something needs to be done...

It is unfortunate about your items but maybe you should not leave them outside and unsecured.  Put your stuff away or at least take the time to properly secure it. 

04 Sep 2010
Elissa

I am sorry to hear about so many people getting their things stolen, but ... I sort of feel that is just part of the risk of leaving things outside. While I really would expect more from a military base ... that is just part of life people do terrible things sometimes. If you leave your bike somewhere lock it, don't leave things down in the stairwells or halls ... or even outside your door (stuff isn't supposed to sit in the halls anyways) if you live on the bottom floor and need to store something out on the patio .... think twice. They do supply us with basement space. I know it isn't something you should have to do ... be cautious of your items especially on base, but its common sense. I wish people were more trustworthy in life but rather than depending on people to be that way maybe everyone should just think a little more about what they leave laying around.

04 Sep 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post

Kids will be kids, military or not. 'Hey, that scooter looks cool-let's ride it". Etc. Etc. Bored kids on base will get into all kinds of mischief. If you live in a building and see a pile of bikes, scooters etc. in your lobby, you are going to assume they all belong to people in your building.  When it's very possible some kid was joy-riding and dumped it there.

I suggest you folks inventory your building lobby and come up with a system of identifying stuff that belongs there: a colored sticker for example. Then anything that shows up without  a sticker could be put outside with a post to NAH.  Hang a sign on the door of your building and get something going.

I also encourage everyone to label their stuff with permanant magic marker in large letters. It makes it less appealing to kids to keep, and easier to find its true home if found somewhere.

Good luck!

04 Sep 2010
Mary Jane

Unfortunately our storage space is on the 4th floor (not in the basement).  Would you want to carry bikes up and down 4 flights of stairs everyday?  Would you go up and down 4 flights every time you wanted to use patio furniture?  We also do not have the inside atrium space that some buildings have.  Keeping all the bikes in the living room isn't necessarily convenient either.  Too bad that folks are missing the point of this post - parents need to be keeping a better eye on what their kids are doing (obviously this is not aimed at all parents on base since many/most DO supervise their kids).  Kind-of goes hand-in-hand with the posting about bullying. I meet many great parents out-and-about (at the playground for example). I also see plenty of kids that should have better supervision. Just because kids meet the base age requirement to be unsupervised doesn't mean that they should be unsupervised. And in reality, kids will be kids.  Even great, well-behaved kids will make mistakes; it's part of growing up.  But parents should should know what they were up to today so that mistakes can be remedied.  Only then can the mistake be learned from.

04 Sep 2010
d

Each base housing has bicycle racks that can be locked..outside of complex...wouldn't that keep from having to lug them up and down the flights of stairs??

04 Sep 2010
Mary Jane

Can we focus here? The point is that there's stealing going on.   

I understand that I could lock down, glue down every piece of my household. MY bikes ARE locked up, but not out in the weather. The folks on the 2nd and 3rd floors think of their patios as part of their living space.  Why can't the families who are ASSIGNED the first floor do the same?

I just don't understand why folks think this post is a cry for help in ideas to secure my things. It's a cry for parents to actually parent. I would guess that folks who do supervise their children know who they are and know what I'm saying.  The ones bothered by this post are probably the ones who don't supervise their children and don't think that they should have to (supervising doesn't mean that you watch everything they do 24/7).  PLEASE let's let our children learn from us and not the juducial system.

We are all educated people here.  Why aren't we acting like it?

04 Sep 2010
Mary Jane

By the way, I do completely agree with making sure you mark items (especially the bikes/scooters) with a name/phone number.  After all, if a parent (or anyone) does notice a new item, how else would they know who to contact to get it back to you.

04 Sep 2010
d

Yikes..harsh.  Was just a thought.  I guess you're the only one allowed to voice your opinion in this thread, the others are demanded to think, assess and word as you do?  Grow up, keep your things inside if you don't want them stolen, just as you would any other place.  *EYE ROLL*

05 Sep 2010
Elissa

Why do you guys feel that is is only children who steal things? I can understand it happening more with children, but adults do as well. You are right it is wrong that you have to be over cautious. You shouldn't have to be and if you live on the bottom floor you should be able to place your things securely but bottom line is ... if you want your things to keep safe and keep them around then be cautious. That applies to everyone living on any level and in any place in the world. If you don't want them stolen then don't leave them sitting around. 

06 Sep 2010
Cheryl

I agree with all of you. 

Theft is theft regardless of who takes it. If it doesn't belong to you then leave it alone. My kids bikes are ALWAYS locked up as we also live on the 3rd floor and the one time my 9 year old left her scooter in the bottom of the stairwell it was gone! Just last week a high schooler (JASON) was riding on an identical scooter, he was asked if it belonged to him and he responded YES! When told one was missing but it had her name on it he asked where the name was on it, low and behold it was my daughters (her name was still on it) he was quick to dump it. While kids will be kids it is the parents that need to step up to the plate and do a little bit of parenting. If your kid comes home with something that does not belong to them make them return it. My neighbors (1st floor) smoker is still missing, its saddens me that you have to chain a grill up and there is no way the kids could have taken that so we also have an adult theft problem. Maybe a commercial on TV teaching people right from wrong, you know the kind I'm talking about, kind of like the one about not leaving your pets behind, send a message, heck if the parents are not going to do it........  

06 Sep 2010
M.
More than 100 messages post

Cheryl,

First of all, I'm glad you were able to find your child's scooter.  What did Jason say when it became clear that he had stolen it?  Did you officially report him to the MAs for theft?  How embarassing to be caught with it...

06 Sep 2010
M.

Cheryl - How long ago was the smoker stolen?  Now, that is hard to hide.  So, very sad...:(

06 Sep 2010
Cheryl

M,

I have not reported him. I did not see him dump it but have told his friends to pass on a message that he needs to come and speak with me, when the message was passed that I wanted to see him 3 other names were mentioned about the theft of her scooter all passing the blame. He will not be spared trust me! The smoker I believe was stolen approx 3 weeks ago. My neighbor ALWAYS used it and we all have enjoyed the food from it that live in this quad with regular gatherings. It really does make me sad, what do we need to do to stop this? maybe security cameras on the buildings will do the job, one where we can access and watch, rewind etc from a pc.....catch them in the act.

11 Sep 2010
Gregory

lock up your stuff and make sure it is secured when it is left unattended, if that isnt done than yes it has the chance, like anywhere in the world, to get stolen by some punk who thinks he/she can do whatever he/she wants too...so, lock it up or take the chance of never seeing it again

17 Sep 2010
Zach

I recently had my cell phone stolen at the teen center, I left it on the counter for a minute, and came back and it was gone. If anyone sees their child with a Samsung cellphone, with a black rubber case, and has been to the teencenter recently please contact me.

24 Sep 2010
M.

Cheryl ~ Has the smoker been found?  I have seen one outside a building today and it made me think of this.

25 Sep 2010
kristie
Re: Re: String of Thefts in SS housing

Cit. d wrote:

Each base housing has bicycle racks that can be locked..outside of complex...wouldn't that keep from having to lug them up and down the flights of stairs??

yes, but it doesnt keep peole from stealing, someone stole the seat rigt off my bike, which was locked up right outside the front door of my building! (on the bike rack next to other bkes)

26 Sep 2010
Cheryl

M,

No, the smoker was never found. Please let me know the building number, I will go and check it out with my neighbor. Thanks so much

26 Sep 2010
M.

Hello Cheryl,

I truly hope this is it.  Every time I go by that building, I see the smoker and think of your neighbor.  Regardless of whether this is that smoker or not, they should not have anything like that sitting out on public ground.  I think the bldg. is 2031.  If you come from the entrance of the base, go all the way down to the last roundabout and take the last exit before heading back toward the gate.  The bldg. is the second one on the left (I think one of the streets of that corner is Pensacola, but I am not sure) and the smoker is right outside the bldg. by the corner.  Would you please let me know if that is it???  And btw, what ever happened to the guy who took your child's scooter???  Good luck!

26 Sep 2010
Cheryl

M,

Its not his smoker but thank you for looking out for it. 
I got the name wrong of the guy that took the scooter, its actually Justin not Jason. Nothing has been done because so many names were mentioned, my daughter is glad to have it back and walks it up and down 3 floors with it even if she needs to use the bathroom, she learned her lesson from leaving it. I do know the mom and when I see her I will be having a talk with her however I doubt the parents have much control over this kid if you know what I mean.

Thanks again M, I greatly appreciate it, if only there were more like you!

26 Sep 2010
M.

Cheryl,

You're most welcome.  I will continue to keep my eyes out for it.  It is such a huge thing!  Unless, of course, it has been moved to an off-base location, which is most likely the case. :(  It is so sad though.  I'm still glad your daughter got her scooter back! :)

24 Oct 2010
truth

Its just not the kids stealing things....Nor the U.S adults.... ever see the other than U.S vehicles cruising housing, cleaning out the dumpsters... I wonder how many 'extra keys' exist for every unit on base... enough said..think about it

25 Oct 2010
M.

Truth ~ Are you saying that people from housing are entering our residences with a spare key without our knowledge?  The thefts people have been discussing on this thread are for items located outside or on balconies, but I don't believe anyone ever mentioned anyone breaking with a spare key.

25 Oct 2010
TCB

Just an FYI.  NEVER just pull your door too, always lock it.  I know in our building and a few others if you accidently shut the door behind yourself leaving your keys inside all you need is a credit card to get in...Yes!  this is true, I have done it twice myself and helped a neighbor into her apt when she locked herself out.

01 Nov 2010
David
More than 50 messages post

My 10 year old could get into the front door with her ID, for which I admonished her for roughing up her ID card.  I do not have the problem of locking myself out anymore because I took the door handle and reversed it so you can get in from outside using the regular handle, and out using the knob that locks the door inside.  This means that I double lock my door when I am gone.

Yes there have been thefts from "maintenance" type personnel in housing.  Not too long ago a family in housing had maintenance done while they were gone and some things ended up missing.  Fortunately all their items were well documented and the case was substantiated.

Third, on the stealing subject, what is up with people putting their euro in the shopping carts at the NEX and commissary and taking the carts home.  I can't tell you how many I see outside of residences or at cookouts being used as personal item carriers.  I yelled at two kids recently as I saw them pushing a NEX cart on the backside of the base.  1 euro is a pretty cheap price to pay for a $150 - $200 cart.  I have noticed that some of the carts are abandoned by the dumpsters after the euro is fished out.  If you think the waste management company brings them back the the NEX you are sadely mistaken, not to mention that the cost for cart replacement is not absorbed by the NEX, but passed directly back on to all clients