follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Shops & Shopping » Large Green Vases
21 Aug 2010
Margaret
Large Green Vases

Does anyone have GPS coordinates or directions to a place near the support site that sells the large green glass vases everyone seems to have on their balconies?  Thanks!

21 Aug 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post
Re: Large Green Vases

Do you mean the wine demi-johns? You can wait until Louigi comes back to the NEX (he's usually there once/month starting in September. They sell for about $25 for a large one, plus you can purchase wrought-iron stands and candle holders. His shop is in Lago Patria/Licola area but is hard to find the first time around.  He is closed for the Italian vacation right now.  Or, you can scrounge around like the rest of us and hope to find them for free on the side of roads, by glass recycle bins etc.

But be careful; demi-johns are highly addictive! :)

21 Aug 2010
Margaret

Yes, the demijohns!  I thought there was a place in town near the support site (perhaps Teverola) that sold them too though.

22 Aug 2010
d

There is a demijohn place near here.  Do you know where Caputo cheese is?  It's just a few doors down from that in Aversa on the same street (had black and white pics of chickens and cow stickers on the door).  I will try and find the coordinates for you and get back to you!

22 Aug 2010
ABE

Also, could you let us know how much the different size bottles cost? Grazie!

22 Aug 2010
Margaret

Awesome!  Thank you so much!

23 Aug 2010
Cheryl

Maragret, Luigi Falcone sells them in Teverola. If you exit the base and keep right onto ss7 (don't go over the bridge) take the first exit, follow the sign at the round a bout to the Medi Mall (3rd exit I think) once you have taken the exit follow the road to the end, 2 choices right goes to the Medi Mall and Savaris, left goes to Luigi Falcone. Take the left and go under the bridge, Luigi will be on your left approx 1 to 1.5 miles. He does have the colored Demi Johns (blue, red, amber, purple, yellow) and will tell you these are natural glass not painted, they are priced up to 20 euro more than the clear or green ones depending on size but they are unfortunately painted (I am talking from experience)

If my memory is correct for clear and green
5 litre = 5 euro
10 litre = 8 euro
the giant one was 18 euro, and all the other sizes are in between that ;0) there is a price list on the wall as you walk in the yard. He usually has them outside

The other Luigi that many do business with has a shop in Lago Patria, I will see if I can get directions to that. His stands, candle holders are much nicer than Luigi Falcones and cheaper.

23 Aug 2010
Margaret

Thank you Cheryl!  Any information about the place in Lago Patria would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

23 Aug 2010
Cheryl

Margaret, I meant to say Lichola not Lago Patria...sorry

23 Aug 2010
d

falcone is the one I was thinking of as well.  The last time we went to him though he told us they weren't making the green ones anymore.  We got the last two large ones, but he had a couple of smaller ones left.  Hope you find what you're looking for!  He also has stands and candles there, and his wine is pretty darn good too!

24 Aug 2010
Margaret

D- do you have directions or GPS coordinates for him?

26 Aug 2010
Margaret

Guys,

Okay, very close to the support site is this guy who sells the vases in several sizes and various colors (clear, green, red, purple, yellow, blue, etc.).  He also has the metal candle holders that go inside the vases as well as metal holders for the vases.  He speaks broken English as well.

(N 40.989163, E 14.207704)  As you travel southbound he will be on your left side.  If you are traveling southbound and pass the "Caputo" signs (you can't miss it!) on your left side you have gone about 1 block too far.  The town is Teverola and the street is Via Roma (main north/south street).

Hope that helps,
Ciao!

26 Aug 2010
Cheryl

Margaret, that is Luigi Falcone, the one I mentioned. The colored ones are fake not natural glass despite what he tells you.

27 Aug 2010
Margaret

Thanks Cheryl.  Not sure what "fake" means, but they look as "real" as the green vases.  Just wanted everyone to have the GPS coordinates and basic directions if they were interested.  Thanks for your help, I truly appreciate it!

29 Aug 2010
Cheryl

Fake meaning not natural colored glass, they are painted, if you scrape them the color comes of to reveal a clear Demi-John under that beautiful color.

08 Sep 2010
Greta

For all of you that are interested in the demigiane, you can "hunt" for them at all glass recycling domes.  Obviously not on base.  The Italians get rid of them every so often and put them at the recycling domes frequently.  Usually you will find the large dark green ones.  I have never seen the colored ones.  Small ones are pretty common as well.  My first three days in Italy I found 7 large.  Check out the prices of them in the Pottery Barn catalog.  So for those of you that like "the thrill of the hunt" look for them there... and they are FREE!  Good luck!