follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Health » Giving birth on base
17 Aug 2010
MariJai
Giving birth on base

Anybody wants to share experiences?

I'm kinda scared since they don't have all the equipments if something happens.
Thanks.

17 Aug 2010
Mandy
Re: Giving birth on base

I overall had a great experience...with the day crew every day. I was there 3 weeks ago for almost 4 days. All the day nurses/doctors were amazing!
I don't know if you're planning on getting an epidural, but the anesthesiologist-Dr. Harrison-was incredibly nice..I was REALLY scared about getting it and he made it really easy! I also had nurses Kim and a new nurse Trisha during labor and they were both just amazing. My actual Delivery doctor was Dr. Borja, and I can't even put into words how wonderful she is!!
Now, the night crews on the other hand.... they were a little frustrating. I came down with a slight fever during labor so they had to treat my son with antibiotics for 48hrs after birth thru an IV in his arm. The night he was born they took him to the nursery to put the IV in, and didn't come back or update me for almost 3 hours...finally came back and told me they couldn't get the needle in right and were waiting on the anesthesiologist to come in and do it for them. I was heartbroken when my son was finally brought back to me covered in bandaids from how many times they poked him :( This also happened AGAIN on our last night there, because the IV had come loose and they needed to give him his last round of antibiotics. They took him, again had him for 3 hours while I had to press the nurse button every time I wanted to know what the heck was going on. Again he came back full of bandaids because of so many tries! I understand infants have small veins and it's difficult, but dang... I think if they were unsure of themselves, or after the FIRST try, the anesthesiologist should be called.
The night crews in general were just iffy. I didn't like them at all! Upon first getting to the hospital at 5AM I was dealing with a nurse who was shaking and couldn't even get the monitors onto my stomach. He was so awkward too when he'd walk in and I was breastfeeding. I just felt like okay...don't make it weird and I won't either ya know?

I don't want to freak you out, your experience will probably be much better! And again...nothing but wonderful all day every day!! It was just the overnights that were no fun :(
Good luck to you!!

17 Aug 2010
Juli

Hi!
I loved the Nightcrew, i had nurse amy and also dr borja, both are amazing! Also lt johnson is great!!!

18 Aug 2010
robert

The night crew are the same as the day crew they alternate from nights to days every two months, and every Navy hospital is a teaching hospital so get used to having inexperienced people wok on you. Also, yes it is heart breaking to have your kid stuck, but it is also a hastle to call in a medical doctor in the middle of the night because you can't get the IV, and it wasn't just one person sticking your child over and over again it was most likely every nurse in the hospital on duty. They actually try to save your child from being stuck more times than is necessary. Believe it or not medical professionals have hearts too.

18 Aug 2010
KIFORNEE

I had a wonderful four day stay. Everyone was so attentive and caring. Both the day and night crew. They had more patience with me than I had with myself. Good luck and Congrats!

31 Aug 2010
MariJai

Thank you all!

Yes I did ask for an epidural so hopefully everything will go smoother. I haven't had it with my first child and labor and deliver were hell!