follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » Bambusa on Fire?
11 Aug 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
Bambusa on Fire?

Did I see right today that Bambusa had a fire? If so does anyone know how bad and and will this mean a delay in opening?

12 Aug 2010
Elissa
Re: Bambusa on Fire?

It was a golf cart outside of it from what I understand ... not the resturant

12 Aug 2010
JoAnne

You were right, it was a golf cart saw it this morning all burnt out.  Sorry for the golf cart, but YEA! for Bambusa opening :)

12 Aug 2010
Papi
User Banned

this restaurant aint the big deal.. go out, dont stay on base..

12 Aug 2010
JoAnne

Ivan, we do get off  base often for much traveling and eating at lots of different resturants, but after 6 years of Italian food I am looking forward to (while it may last) something different :)  It will also be nice for a quick dinner and a glass or two of wine and no driving.

12 Aug 2010
Tim and Kristina

your right mrs, joanne

12 Aug 2010
Wendi

It was not the resturant it was a golf cart in the storage area next to there. We also ate there last night and the food is not all that great for the prices they charge.

12 Aug 2010
JoAnne

Noooo! say it isn't true Wendi...not good food, that will be really sad.  What did you eat?  Will give it a try none the less, if it is bad we still have all the yummy restuarnats out in town.  It would be nice though to eat and drink and not have to drive.

13 Aug 2010
Christopher

Regardless of whether it is good, people will still eat there for convenience. The Applebee's was usually pretty horrible and I still ate there. It was a good meeting place or a great way to end a long day at work.

13 Aug 2010
ANON

That is depressing...we had high hopes. 

We are curious how you ate there last night if it doesn't open until today.

13 Aug 2010
JoAnne

I agree Christopher, good or bad it's close to home LOL! TGIF went down hill but I thought Applebee's was pretty good, I loved their salads.  Regardless I'm looking forward to something different and will be there tonight :)

13 Aug 2010
JoAnne

Alrighty then! just got back from Bambusa (this is only my opinion, eat there and make your own) as sad as this makes me, I am not impressed.  The menu is very, VERY small, not a whole lot to choose from, prices are high and no re-fills on soft drinks, which come in small glasses.  You want a side of ranch or blue cheese, it will cost you 49c.   Hot wings NOT hot, thought they had given me the bar-b-que by mistake!  Cheesy fries and bacon...oh dear! nuff said on that. 

I went with a friend and her son (and I took my son) we were asked if we wanted to split the check...yes we did.  Came to pay with 2 credit cards and they could not do it?   We were told we would have to put it on one card!!  The only thing which was half decent for the price were the apps "chicken fingers" Oh! and some familier faces who used to work at Applebees, which was nice to see them back working.

Guess we will be back to eating out in town which is cheaper with better food.

13 Aug 2010
Elissa

I just got home as well from there, and I am sure many people are going to give it a go tonight with the opening.

I was highly disappointed I was really excited and high hopes for this place ... it would have been nice to have something on base but ... guess you can't win it all. The waiter didn't speak English well at all (which I understand we are in Italy ... but this is an on base restaurant so I expected that language barrier to be covered.) It took about 20 minuets for someone to come over to us after being seated ... which was funny because there are a ton of staff everywhere. They took our drink order and then it took maybe another 20 before someone came back to take the food order. I ordered the rustico burger, the menu said choice of fries or onion rings, I ordered the onion rings and the brought fries as well as and a side order of onion rings which they charged us 3.99 for.  My husband ordered the smallest sirloin on the menu, the menu said there was a choice of vegetables, they just kinda gave him the default. Also, when asked how he wanted his steak cook he said medium rare, and the waiter just said we do medium or well, so he took the medium (I am going to assume this was a language issue not the restaurant) When it came out, it was charred and pretty tasteless for a 14 dollars steak. We also had an order of the bacon cheese fries ... it was exactly what is described a few crumbles of bacon ... on fries ... with a pinch of shredded cheese ... not the gooey bad for you pile I was expecting. Although we ordered at the same time, they brought mine out in about 5 mins and my husbands was maybe 15 mins later. I will give them that they are quick with brining things out ... they just messed up a little with the steak, but drinks and my food was quick. with a water and a pepsi (which my husband said tasted terrible) added in ... (plus the 2.00 refills in the tiny glasses) the total was 44 dollars. I could have bought and made all the food at home cheaper have it tasting way better AND had money left over to go to a place out in town at that price and been much happier. I felt bad ... I  had high hopes for this place. Looks like We will be going with Le Pirimidi next pay check, its a better value and the food is fantastic...
 Sorry .... but bambusa was an upset ... I am going to give it another try with breakfast or brunch some other day, maybe it will be better? But I don't forsee spending money there again. WAY too expensive for a crappy meal, crappy service and a REALLY loud dinning room.

14 Aug 2010
JoAnne

Elissa, they did the same thing with my friends son, he ordered the onion rings but got fries. They also forgot the onion and peppers on my friend's Philly steak sandwich, which looked more like a hamburger; she had to show them that the onions and peppers did come on the sandwich from the menu.  

I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and the simple mistakes are because it is new and just opened.

I guess I should try breakfast one morning or the lunch menu in a few weeks to see how they are then?  Would like to think it may get better or is it just wishful thinking?

What does everyone else think who has eaten there?

14 Aug 2010
Kathryn

We went to the soft opening and were impressed by the service--drinks were out before we finished ordering, and any mistakes (just one) was quickly corrected.  My Bamburger (burger with eggplant) was good, my husband enjoyed his turkey rolls, and the kids thought their choices were fine.  Not impressed with the sampler platter for appetizers or the drinks (small glasses fine, but then give us refills for free).

Someone posted about the medium or well choices for their burger.  This isn't a language issue, this is an American food safety issue.  Many restaurants in the US (we have found it varies by state) have gone in this direction as well.

14 Aug 2010
Kathryn

Oh, and Joanne, there will be no breakfast.  It was a misprint.  There will be a brunch though on Sat/Sun starting at 1030.

14 Aug 2010
Jonathan

We ate at Bambusa on Friday night and were pleasantly surprised considering we went with rather low expectations.  Italians do Italian food very well - there are plenty of restaurants outside the gate that prove this.  Considering that we have so few choices for non-Italian cooking (let alone a classic American menu) in this area, we were just hoping for something close and not perfection.

There was a bit of a wait (which we expected), so we used that time to peruse the menu and make our selections before we were even seated.  When we were seated, our waiter spoke excellent English and was happy to immediately take our full order.  Our drinks came quickly, and since we ordered Diet Cokes, we each received a can - this provided a refill for the small glass that other posts have already mentioned.  We did not have to wait very long for our order to arrive (less than 20 minutes) and it was exactly as we had requested.  The portions were large (my wife and I split the burrito platter and could not finish it) and were quite tasty.  I thought the prices were reasonable and walked out with only a $45 bill for an appetizer, two entrees, three sodas, a water and a beer.  (I am used to paying about 50 euro for the same out in town).

Was it loud? Yes, but that's to be expected since family restaurants in the US are loud, too.  Carpeting would help to dampen the sound, but is impractical from a cleaning standpoint.  This definitely isn't the spot for a romantic evening, but is great for those times when you just don't feel like cooking and want something other than pizza, pasta, the bowling alley or the food court.  It also gives us another alternative for late in the evening after the food court has closed for the day.

My bottom line assessment is that it is an alternative menu of decent food at a price comparable to our other choices.  Could it improve?  Yes - and it can if we offer the management constructive criticism and comments.

15 Aug 2010
walter

Bambusa was just fine for the FIRST night......Hopefully they will take the feedback, and adjust/fix some of the shortcomings. Appetizers were very small for the price....We got the chips and salsa for $3.99, and it had maybe 20 chips, and two tablespoons of salsa, that was dissapoining! Also, I've read others had the bacon cheese fries, same issue here. We really liked the atmosphere, and nice to see most people were having a good time. The beers were good, maybe a little steep for a pint, but they were good ( we had a blond and a red). Our Waiter was very good, spoke well, and stopped back plenty of times to check on us....bravo ! Lack of condiments on the table, no salt, no pepper, no sugar or sweetners for the tea, drinks were small, even for my children. The apple juice, was VERY small. My wifes entree came out cold (beans and rice with sausage), so they took it back and nuked it, bad ove, because now the edges were overcooked, she wasn't happy. I had burgers with my boys, and they were OK. My daugter had the Mongollian rice, and it also was OK. Bottomline, we spent $72 for  family of five, and it was just OK. We didn't have high expectations for the first night, and we will probably try it again !

15 Aug 2010
Cheryl

I encourage everyone to ICE their comments so that the manager of Bambusa knows what they need to do to make changes, improvements and keep everyone happy, good and bad.

https://ice.disa.mil/index.cfm?fa=site&site_id=163

16 Aug 2010
Cheryl

https://www.portal.navy.mil/netwarcom/onenet/Lists/ONENETTEST/NewForm.aspx?Source=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Efleetforces%2Enavy%2Emil%2Fnetwarcom%2Fonenet%

2FLists%2FONENETTEST%2Foverview%2Easpx

Here is the new link added today for Bambusa comments, it may take upto 24 hours for the ICE site to appear as it was just created this morning so be patient, but please ICE those comments good and bad.
I did get a call back from the owner of the resturaunt so they are reading the comments and responding. They do want to hear what you have to say, this is the only way they can make improvements to those cheese fries with bacon :)

19 Aug 2010
Celeste

Based on the comments I'd read here as well as on facebook, I was prepared to completely avoid Bambusa & not even give it a shot.  Tonight, though, I was in a hurry & needed to grab a quick bite before a series of meetings.  Contrary to what I'd read, every server & greeter spoke fluent English, I got a seat immediately, the food was served quickly, was hot & tasty (although onion rings were definitely frozen not fresh-made), and prices were decent - about comparable to Chili's or Applebees.  Staff at the bar were very friendly & chatty, beer selection is great, and I left feeling pretty good about the place as an "American" alternative to the usual Italian fare.  I hope others will at least give them a chance instead of dismissing them out of hand.

19 Aug 2010
Larry
Re: Bambusa

Went the other day @ lunch time, we had to at least try it out.  The three of us ate w/ desserts for under $50, fairly reasonable, in my opinion!

Server was attentive, seated quickly, drink order taken as we were seated and arrived promptly (yes, small and you pay for refills; but so far in my travels in Europe have I found free refills ... a US thing only by chance?).

Food selection is somewhat limited, but we did enjoy our three choices; Burrito Platter, Taco Salad, and Turkey Rolls.  Desserts as well were well proportioned for the price (well as far as desserts are reasonable priced to begin with!!) and delicious.

Overall, a decent dining option!  We will return.

20 Aug 2010
d

We went on the first night and some things were good and some were bad (as is with anywhere).  The first night was crowded and well it was the first night!  I'm glad you posted this comment Larry after it had been open for a little while.  Are they opened for breakfast?  I bet they would make a killing on it if they were!  I miss the breakfast places like ihop and bob evans.   We have two smaller children and we ordered the kids meals, their drinks and refills were free, so me it evened out.  My husband had a steak we had two starters and desert for $60 for a family of four..I think that was very well priced.  I'm sure that most foods will improve with time! 

20 Aug 2010
JoAnne
Eating at Bambusa

I would give it another go, it is brand new so things are going to be hit or miss to begin with so I should not be so quick to judge.  I would love to see breakfast, especially if they can do something like IHOPS yum!  I will make a "positive" ICE comment which I think we should all make so they are able to make any and all changes within reason.  I may not eat there too often as I do love the food out in town, but it does make for a convenient change.