follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » somebody needs to do something about this trash...
23 Jul 2010
Papi
User Banned
somebody needs to do something about this trash...

Why is that nobody do anything about this trash, don’t anybody knows that bring sickness and deceases. Dose anybody watch discovery Channel? Where are these leaders that call them self Officers and Leaders, they are the only one that can help here. Or maybe Spouses needs to go to strike, because maybe that way somebody can do something just like the Italians!!!! 

23 Jul 2010
Dominique
Re: somebody needs to do something about this trash...

Unfortunately, this is not just a Base wide problem this is a NAPLES problem. All the surrounding cities and neighborhoods have trash piling up and it seems to happen during the summer months (especially in July and August) I've lived on base, In central Gricignano, and in Casal di Principe and it ALWAYS ends up becoming a huge problem. Either the trash workers are striking or the sanitation workers are striking which causes a build-up, etc. etc. There have been multiple "Trash Crises" since we moved here, and eventually it all gets cleaned up, but not before it reaches near pic proportions. The officers on base can't do any more than they are already doing. Because our base is part of a collective "County" that is serviced at the same time, the Officers and Commanders can't do much more than "suggest" to the local authorities that things get cleaned up, and I'm sure that's been done. 

24 Jul 2010
Elissa

I know it its gross, and unsanitary ... but there isn't much anyone can do. Be more thoughtful about what you are throwing away to conserve space, this is a good time for everyone to start recycling a tad more, throw the stuff like food and all that in the trash trash and then try to find a space for everything else.

25 Jul 2010
Cheryl

I like how the officers are dragged down because of the trash issue, mind boggling really. 

28 Jul 2010
Malina

The officers in general shouldn't be dragged down but the captain of the base should have a little more concern of how we are having to live here on base. For one I wasn't even given the option to move off base (to move somewhere bigger, cleaner and with less air pollution), so anytime that I walk my dog or take the kids to the park I get to walk past loads and loads of garbage. The Italians want to complain and go on strike so much about the jobs that the Americans are taking away from them but then they can't even do the simple jobs that are given. I'm sure with the economy the way that it is back in the states right now there are plenty of people there that would love to have a job even as simple as the trash collector. You want us to recycle more? The recycling boxes are just as full, the recyclables sit there just as long. It's really irritating to have to live here and to have to put up with this! 

30 Jul 2010
d

You guys act like it's just as simple as a snap of the fingers.  How do you know what's going on behind the scenes.  Yeah, I agree the garbage sucks and it looks bad, but I highly doubt it's all because of the Italians.  We live in their country and 99% of the time all i hear are complaints.  This is a really great country, try finding the good, beautiful and fun things.  I guarentee you can find them!  Be positive and quite griping about everything.

08 Aug 2010
Maria

THe current trash situation is very good.  It was horrible 2 years ago.  Quit complaining.  This is clean!

09 Aug 2010
KB

Actually, the worst trash situation that I've seen since being in Naples is right on the Support Site. I'm glad I don't live there, it really is disgusting driving by TLA and seeing mounds of garbage just sitting outside the hotel, doesn't that just scream Welcome to Naples! I'm glad I don't live on base, the flys there are outrageous. Sorry for you all's situation, I hope that something is done about it sometime soon.

09 Aug 2010
Elissa

Well I was sent this today via an ombudsman notification: ( I apologize if any rules are being broken by posting this, but it was a public letter)

sooo ...  now maybe everyone can now understand why it is the way that it is

TRASH SITUATION AT SUPPORT SITE

READ THIS - BE INFORMED!

Our trash and recycling services have been provided by the Comune of Gricignano per Italian law.  The Support Site is private property owned by Mirabella.  The US Navy and Mirabella are restricted, per Italian Law, from removing trash from the Support Site. Only the local municipality is able to perform this service.  As you have noticed over the past three months, local waste management services have been degraded significantly.

This degradation of service is attributed to shifting authority for waste management services from the comune to the provinces, as well as, major leadership changes within the Comune of Gricignano.

The comune is operating with limited trash removal equipment and resources.  Poor labor relations further hamper the ability for the comune to perform collection services.  These constraints impact the amount of service that the comune can offer the Support Site.  Currently, the comune is not collecting recyclables at many locations in the local area, including Support Site.  The comune is providing minimal trash removal service, certainly below the Support Site requirement.

Since recyclables are NOT currently being collected by the comune, Mirabella has obtained authorization to receive recyclables and remove them from Support Site.  The new recycle points have compactors that will reduce the volume of recycling and enable the landlord to remove the recycled product.  This is a temporary measure that will help reduce the trash piles in and around housing until the comune is able to start collecting recyclables again.  

YOU CAN BE PART OF THE SOLUTION

Please take your recycling to either of the two temporary recycle points - this will reduce the volume of trash at your trash collection point near your residence.  It will reduce the amount of mixed trash and allow for the recyclable material to be RECYCLED!   This will help improve the sanitary condition while providing us some ability to take control and improve our quality of life.

Location: Elementary School Trash Collection Point and North Park parking area
Time: Monday – Friday  0630-0930,  1600-1800

Saturday 0800 - 1000

*Mirabella employees will be at collection points to receive recyclables

What to bring (in transparent bags):  
  • Plastics & metal (sorted at recycling center)
  • Paper and cardboard
  • Glass

12 Aug 2010
d

Thank you for posting the letter.  It's about time that someone stepped up and made sense in this stupid garbage post.  I cannot believe that some of you think that the "support site" will just magically devour the garbage that WE put out there.  Reduce people and stop complaining about where you live.  Tired of reading/hearing that ya'll are so unhappy here.  We've been given a great oppurtunity, step out into the world and make something of it!

14 Aug 2010
Jay

It's not objective or constructive to assume simply because someone

expressed their disgust for the trash problem, that they do not travel

off-base.  

The reality is that we all have an inalienable right to both

safety and to healthiness for ourselves and for our families.  This incessant

trash problem of the base and of Naples doesn't provide us with either.

It attracts pests, which can be a direct determent to our safety and

without a doubt negatively affects our health.  The US government is not

upholding their responsibilities to us by continuing to keep this base here.

Each and every one of us, as tax payers, should write our Congressman and

ask that they reinvestigate the reasons for military families continuing to be

sent here.

Since arriving here, my entire family has developed asthmatic

symptoms as well as severe intestinal complications, none of which we've ever

experienced in our entire lives or anywhere else that we have lived in the

world.  However, every time we travel away form here; which is as often as

fiscally feasible, our symptoms all magically disappear.  I am completely

certain that we are not alone in this battle for good health for our families.

It is utterly shameful that this is permitted to continue with seeming

lack of regard for our welfare.  I urge everyone who is also disgusted

with the continued conditions of our "home" that you not

be complacent, but alert your Congressman to our plight.

14 Aug 2010
d

I don't believe anyone said anything about "not going off base".  Step out into the world is an expression, kind of like "seize the day"..you can't actually grab a day.  *eye roll*. 

I checked with the family practice, it only takes a few signatures to get your back "home" in the states if  you and you're family are experiencing health problems due to conditions here ;)

14 Aug 2010
Jay

My family should NOT have to be separated as a result of health concerns which we all face as a product of simply being stationed here.  As an active duty military member, you can not merely go to family practice and get a few signatures and poof you're out of here.  Even if it were possible for my family, it doesn't address the thousands of others which are also still here; they matter too.   Together, my family and I do all we can to make the best of this situation, but that doesn't mean that I should be content to accept life as it is.  Which is why those who are also distressed with the potential health crisis we face as a result of living here, should take those concerns to your Congressman.  Imagine what life in America would be like had Mrs. Rosa Parks gotten off that bus?  Just because it's the way things are, doesn't make it right.

I trust, I sincerely hope, that the command here is doing all that they can regarding these issues, but it seems to be out of their hands at this point.  Yes, trash pick-up is a signifant issue.  Without question, we absolutely must do our part to recycle and reuse, but that doesn't stop the fact that when it goes weeks or months without pick-up, that poses exceptional health risks to us all.  The air quality and the water contamination throughout this region is also a crucial concern.  To tell someone that they need to stop complaining, that this area is cleaner than it has been and all of the other similar disdainful remarks made is not useful or insightful in any way.  I'm tired of people, to include medical professionals, just dismissing us by saying it's, "Naples crud."  There will never come a day that mine and my families health is not a chief concern for me!!!

A northern Italian doctor recently divulged to myself and my family that this region has some of the higest rates of lukemia, breast cancer and birth defects in the entire European Union.  Frankly, that should alarm anyone who values the future of their families into action.   Our sudden decline in good health is all I needed to spring me into action.  Empower yourselfs by taking your valid issues to those who can see to it that this military facility and the United States' reason for continuing to remain here are reexamined. 

15 Aug 2010
Elissa

Thanks LK .... I couldn't really think of a nice way to put things so I opted not to ... everyone here is more than entitled to their opinion ... and I am glad that the forum is here for everyone  to be able to speak their mind  even if it isn't something I agree with.... 

I don't really feel that this base is useless, while I am just a wife ... and not really involved in the whole "purpose" of the Command's around here .... I am pretty sure if there wasn't a reason to be here they wouldn't have us. It is costly to bring a family over here and keep the base running.... I am not really involved in the politics of it all but I find it hard to believe they would put my husband here for 3 years if his job didn't have a purpose. They do a pretty fine job I think controlling and dealing with what they can involving important issues on base, the trash thing (as stated above in the letter I was sent) is out of the hands of the higher ups on our base ... it is a city wide issue. They are doing what they can given the situation. If anything this should REALLY be a moment where everyone takes time to learn how to conserve a bit, be resourceful and recycle. If you don't want a trash bag stacking up outside and you know there is an issue going on with the trash turn your organic waste into compost and grow a little garden, rinse out your cans and crush them up and change your baby's diapers to cloth rather than using disposable. All these things will save space in the dumpster and put money into your wallet.

I would love to be back in the states as much as the next person. I miss my Walmart and fast food, being close to family and friends ... but I am here like the rest of us because they need us here. Yeah, there may be a trash issue on base, but there is a trash issue on some other base back in the States, or in Germany or Japan. There is more than likely cites that are dirtier we aren't running about in our own waste or drinking stagnant bug infested water ... your walking across your slightly manicured lawn and drinking water out of brita, and while Naples isn't known for its air quality neither is the Smokey Mountains (allergy wise) or places in California or New York ... its just the price to pay being in populated big areas. Personally, since I have been here I have felt better health wise and I wasn't living in too bad of a place previously. I recently went home back to my little mountain town and had to start stuffing the clariton again and drinking bottled water.

15 Aug 2010
Jay

Just wanted to add one last thing.  "LK", by writing, "I checked with the family practice, it only takes a few signatures to get your back "home" in the states if  you and you're family are experiencing health problems due to conditions here ;)"

You sent that message at 20:43 on a Saturday night, certainly you didn't speak to family practice pertaining to this topic at that hour.  Part of my job for the military a few years ago was ERD paperwork (which means Emergency Return of Dependants) and it is a lenghty and complex process that costs the military a lot of money (separation pay, moving monies, etc.).  Also, how are you so certian that my "home" or state of residence is indeed in the states???  What if I am a foreign born spouse and I have no one in the states, but yes, the military would only send you back to the US, so don't you think that could present a whole new set of problems for a family?

You really should refrain from saying things on here that are not truth; you will only mislead and misguide people that don't know any better and that would be particuliarily frustrating to someone who is already frustrated because they desperately want to get out of here.  That could also make the already overworked family practice's job more difficult than it currently is, because your false statement could send a lot of people in there insisting that they are too sick and have to get sent home right now.  Maybe next time, try being part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

15 Aug 2010
Jay

I refuse to turn a blind eye.  Just because it may also be an issue throughout the world, doesn't mean it should be ignored.  I do not want to be one of those that the military is apologizing to later in life, because me or my family is dying as a s result of exposure.  This place can in no way be compared to any other place in the world.  Particuliarily Germany, one of the cleanest places on earth with some of the strictest environmental laws on our planet!  Japan, is another example of a country that values it's environment and it's people's health.  Okinawa, for example boosts the longest living people in the world and p.s. my family and I lived there as well and it can in no way be compared to here.  I don't dispute for a second that Italy as a whole is a beautiful country, I'm very well traveled and enjoy living all over the world very much, however, it doesn't change the fact that when my family is exposed to conditions such as these, I have a right a right to be outraged.

Do some resarch for yourself.  Here's a start:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(04)01561-X/fulltext 
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/08/military.exposure.hearing/index.html (to illustrate that these things happen all over the world on military bases and that we need to alert our government, before it happens again)

I'm done now, I merely just intended to post this info to help those that want to help themselves and their families.  Notifying everyone I know now of my posts...in the event that something mysteriously happens to me  :o)

16 Aug 2010
Cheryl

" checked with the family practice, it only takes a few signatures to get your back "home" in the states if  you and you're family are experiencing health problems due to conditions here ;)"

Would love the name of the person who told you that, I have never heard such a load of LIES..."a few signatures to get you back home" seriously if this was the case housing wouldn't be at full capacity!

18 Aug 2010
d

Jay, I agree that the trash problem is out of hand.  When a fork lift is needed to scoop it out it's a sure tale sign.  However, that being said my post was meant to be a reprieve on the attacks of the Navy Personel when it comes fixing the problem.  When it comes to being governed by the laws of the country "we" reside in, the navy has to oblige.  Perhaps the support site shouldn't be located here, but at this point "we" are under contract to stay here. By "we" I mean the navy, not you specifically and I want to make that clear so that no misunderstanding will occur or "lies" are misinterpritived in a generic term.

When it comes to health concerns, if they're a real and valid concern and you or your family has fallen ill (regardless of how it has happened), your doctor can initiate paperwork to get you or your family members home (or to a facility that can help).

I agree that you shouldn't have to be seperated, but if there's a real concern of health issues wouldn't it be better for them to be safe than together?

Talking to family practices was not done in relation to this email, but done over six months ago in regards to our own personal health problems.  When I say family practices it was more of a generic term when in reality is was directly to our Doctor, Dr. Elliot.

Personnel who have questions about their health or the Naples Public Health Evaluation should contact the Environmental Health Information Office at the U.S. Naval Hospital at Gricignano. The phone number is (commercial): 081 811 6321 or (DSN): 629-6321.

18 Aug 2010
Jay

Never once did I attack the command.  In fact, I stated that I was certain that they were doing all that they could with regards to this issue.  However, it appears to be bigger than them and out of their hands.  I never once thought or wrote anything different.  

Me or my family moving doesn't address everyone else that still resides here.  Besides, what good would it do my family for me to die early because I had to live here longer???  That is my point; we all need to look out for each other here.  We are all humans and we all matter.  We need to ensure that our governement as a whole also cares about each of us, which is why we need to ask them to look further into things here.  

My intent for my post was to convey that those, like me, have other options other than continuing to be frustrated or just venting on NAH.  Together, maybe we can change this, then we all and everyone else here can enjoy a far better quality of life.

I personally don't want to be another Camp Lujene statistic and I'd hate to learn that anyone, anywhere in the world was.