follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » Interested in forming a Dog Owners Association on ...
17 Jul 2010
Christina
Interested in forming a Dog Owners Association on the Support Site?

I am a dog owner. My dog is part of my family. I am his voice.

Are you tired of getting the run-around on all issues dog related? Do you wish there were a central point-of-contact or a dedicated website you could go to? Do you wonder "what can I do" or "how can I help"? Do you have an idea, suggestion, or skill that could benefit our community?

If you answered YES to any of these questions then join me in forming a group to be the voice of our four-legged friends!

I have already contacted the U.S. Region Legal Service Office and received the necessary forms and instructions to become a recognized private organization. All that's needed now is YOU!

If you're interested send me a message through NAH or call 629-5720.

Let's make this community a dog friendly community!

17 Jul 2010
NAH Administrator
Re: Interested in forming a Dog Owners Association on the Support Site?

NAH will  support the initiative by offering technical support if needed!

17 Jul 2010
Angela
More than 50 messages post

Hi,

If you would like, I can definitely help with the paper work.

I have helped 2 other organizations with the paper work for base recognization so I am pretty familiar with it and have it all on my computer.

Just let me know.

17 Jul 2010
Andrew

I'm in.  My dog is a part of my family and care about him dearly.  Though he is a little dog and doesnt need to run as much as a big dog i support the larger dogs, and think something needs to be done.  And i am very interested in speaking with you about going to RLSO to getting an organization started, i am going to have to see them soon in regards to that i think. Contact 629-5087.  Whether it is paperwork you need help with or whatever it is just let me know. Andrew

19 Jul 2010
Christina

I was hoping to have more replies by now. It's going to take more than 3 or 4 people to form an association. Any ideas on how to get more people interested? Should I put up some fliers around base?

I really hope this isn't a case of...everyone has something to say, but no one wants to do anything about it.

20 Jul 2010
Jeannie

I am not on the SS but think it's a good idea. Maybe you should hang some signs around to spread the word. I'm not sure how many people read NAH religiously like I do! LOL Then you coul together a meeting at a public space to see how much interest you really have.

You might find an unwillingness to get involved since most are not here more than 2-3 years. It's easier to complain and then move on, then to invest time to make a difference for the next folks.

20 Jul 2010
Andrew

Christina,
I dont know what the procedures are for this base because everything on this base is totally messed up. I am with you 110%...a meeting definetly deserves to be called, prior to the meeting though if we can because i dont know procedures here, we should get together the 3 or 4 of us outside of the NEX one day and start promoting this.  I know starting up an association is tough and certainly needs more than 3 people, but i have done it before and we only started with 4, people need to see that we mean business and for us 3-4 people it is going to take sacrifice.  I work a shifting schedule down in capo, i take college classes, i am working on a lot of things right now, but any and every chance i get to help this out i am there. I really dont know how to send a message just to you unless i find something you are selling but i will try to call the number sometime today, and here is mine 629-5087

20 Jul 2010
Elissa

I am interested,  I am going to pop any day now with my first kid and that is going to be quite a few adjustments life wise for me I am worried that I wouldn't be able to commit as much time as this would deserve, but I certainly am more than interested. Anything I can do, that I can helpful on I would love to. I had a post going on here not to long ago called pets and playgrounds, and I am WAY more than willing to do what I can to help make a few changes happen around here regarding pets. I love my dog, and I feel bad for him being suck inside all day and having no where to run freely and enjoy being a dog. There are so many things that can be done (small things) that would make a huge different for pet owners on and around S.S. 

20 Jul 2010
Angela

Some things to think about:

In order to become a base recognized organization, there needs to be at least a president and a treasuer, all other positions are extras but you must have a president and treasuer.

The organization should be self sustaining, the base typically does not pay for these type of organizations.

Also, there has to be no other organization like this, so you may want to talk to the Carney Park Dog Owners Association, as they are base recognized, to make sure you are not overlapping (that would cause the recognition to be denied.)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=56494519751&ref=ts 

that is their info on facebook for those that do not know or may like to join.

Also think of what you want this organization to do. For instance, do you want this organization putting together events like play dates for dogs, animal events, volunteer work, fundraising events? What is the purpose, function and responsibilites of such an organization?? All of this will have to be documented for base recogonition.

Holding a meeting would be a good start.

20 Jul 2010
Christina

Thanks for the input! I'm going to make some fliers to put up around base and schedule an initial meeting for next week. I'm thinking late afternoon (1700 or 1800) at the food court. That way those who work during the day can make it. Any preferences on day of meeting?

20 Jul 2010
Andrew

Wednesday or Thursday evening of next week is good for me.

21 Jul 2010
Angela

Wednesdays are good for me.

23 Jul 2010
Christina

Organization Meeting

1800, Wednesday, 28 July 2010

NEX Food Court

For more information call Christina at 629-5720

26 Jul 2010
Jessica

I just moved here with my four-legged-furr loves!  I'd love to help where and when I can.  Too bad I won't be able to make the meeting.  I have no vehicle at the moment and I'm dependant on my sponsor to drive me around.  Boo!  But yeah, add me to the mix!

27 Jul 2010
Christina

Thanks Jessica! We can definitely use all the help we can get. Check back here this weekend for an update. Oh, and welcome to Naples!

30 Jul 2010
Christina

Thank you to those who were able to make it to the meeting!

We are moving forward to become a recognized private organization. Message me on NAH or call 629-5720 for more information.

01 Aug 2010
Christina

I just got a new puppy. I was wondering if there were any puppy socialization classes or obedience classes on the support site? If not, would anyone be intrested in starting something like that?

01 Aug 2010
Mary

I have 2 fabulous dogs and want to be apart. However, I saw the signs for the meeting a day late and didn't even see this thread till today. When is the next meeting? Was anything accomplished on Wed?

02 Aug 2010
Christina

@ Christina - Congrats on getting a new puppy! Unfortunately, their are no socialization or obedience classes offered on the Support Site at this time. However, this is something that the association is interested in starting.

@ Mary - Sorry you weren't able to make it to the meeting. Once we get command recognition we will be able to advertise in more places, such as the Panorama.

For more info or to join the association contact me at 629-5720. Please provide your email address and phone number. I will add you to our roster and/or answer questions, provide email updates, meeting schedules, etc.

04 Aug 2010
Angela

If you need a meeting place, the gym has conference rooms that you can use. All you have to do is go in the gym (SS) and fill out a form. Once approved you can hold meetings there. Might be easier for you.

05 Aug 2010
Christina

Thanks for the info Angela! Do you know if we have to be a recognized organization first?

05 Aug 2010
Angela

As far as I am aware, you do not have to be a recognized organization to request the conference rooms.

13 Aug 2010
Midnite

Im interested! Our dog is finally arriving in a month! Lmk, anything I can do to help.

Midnite

17 Aug 2010
Christina

Hi Midnite,
Thanks for your interest. We're still in the very early stages establishment. Check back here for updates or contact me at 081-811-5720 for more info.
Christina