follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » Seriously Another Freakin Strike
14 Jul 2010
Jeremy
Seriously Another Freakin Strike

So the wife and I tried to go over to the commissary to get something for dinner and there is a "nice" sign on the door....Commissary closed due to strike.  So far as I am gathering, the Italians that work inside the Commissary are not happy about something.  Well I wonder if they would be happy if they all got fired for participating in a strike?  I bet not.  I am sure that there are plenty of people here in Naples that would love to have a job.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong but didn't they just strike last we as well.  I am wondering if this is going to become some kind of a weekly thing.

14 Jul 2010
Christina
Re: Seriously Another Freakin Strike

Today's strike is associated with last week's. It was scheduled to take place in Rome today but since it is a national strike...here we go again! I guess we don't have any Americans working at the commissary.

14 Jul 2010
Dominique

They are required by law to give notice to anyone and everyone that they are striking, and it would have been nice if someone had given notice to the community that they were striking as well, instead of just a sign on the door. Tomorrow they should be open as usual, because strikes typically only last one day. I believe the latest strike is over the deduction in the Local National workforce due to budget cuts. 

14 Jul 2010
Elissa

Strikes are usually planned, this was one of them, try signing up for ombudsman e-mails, they may keep you up to date on what is going on. This one is a continuation of the one before, today rather than being in front of the base, this one was in Rome.  

Here is her contact info: She is pretty handy to have in contact, that is sort of her job, to be go to woman for anything, and she does a good job at letting you know what is going on around and on base. 
NCTS Ombudsman <ombudsmanncts@yahoo.com> 
Mrs. Faye Schultz
NCTS Ombudsman, Naples, Italy
Home: 0771-681-539
Ombudsman Cell: 334-671-0329

14 Jul 2010
Elissa

By the way ... they are on strike because they are loosing their jobs, just saying.

15 Jul 2010
DandH

Actually the base did notify everyone that there would be two strikes. One last week and one on the 14th. I would talk to person you are married to that works on the base that did not tell you. Or if  you just got here ask your sponsor why he/she did not give you that info. The HN employees are facing job losses and as per the SOFA agreement they are within their rights to strike.