follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » Italians going thru our trash..
11 Jul 2010
andi
Italians going thru our trash..

A couple of times this past week I have witnessed both the maintenance and some random Italian going thru our trash on base. It kind of makes me laugh and mad at the same time. I know we have no use for it anymore but still gross. Does any one else feel the same?

12 Jul 2010
Lyndsi
Re: Italians going thru our trash..

It happens right in front of my kitchen door. The guy that is supposed to be picking up litter in the mornings goes through the trash heaps. It is disgusting and annoying. I called the guard shack and they told me that I could come fill out a report but it probably would not do any good. I just ignore it now, it seems like, along with most everything else here, that it is a hopeless case.

12 Jul 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

Lyndsi, I think that is security's standard answer to everything "Come and fill in a paper but there is nothing we can really do" I called on a family who had let go of 2 cats and moved into TLA without a second thought (they had, had these cats 3 years enough time to save to take with them or find a home for them) Security did nothing.  Yet, like feeding the cats on base it's also against base policy/rules to abandon them, yet nothing is done?

As for the trash I don't have a problem with the Italians going through it, it's less we have to look at but it's when they poke though it and don't pick it back up.  They also have been known to go though the thrift store drop off  (I have seen that first hand) but what the heck?????

12 Jul 2010
Elissa

I am going to be totally honest, I have  taken things out of the trash here. Mind you I am not dumpster diving and going through bags and all that horrible stuff, but I have seen people throw out completely fine things, like furniture items and plants. It might seem gross to some people, but if you are throwing away something that someone else can use ... rather than filling a landfill why is it so wrong for them to take it I mean you did throw it out because you didn't want it anymore, Maybe I am reading this wrong, I don't think that it is okay for them or anyone to be opening the bags and rooting through the kitchen scraps and if thats what they are doing ... that is a problem. But if you are throwing out a perfectly fine set of shelves you shouldn't really be surprised if someone picks it up. I am sitting in one of the best glider chairs I have ever come across as I type this, it came out of the trash, absolutely nothing was wrong with it, the screws on the arms needed to be tightened ... and that took all of 20 seconds, we gave it a once over with cleaner and some febreeze (not that it smelt bad). Whoever threw it out lost a really great chair, whoever threw out the potted plants they thought were dead really are missing out on some beautiful flowers and greenery and I would have to say I enjoy the table on my porch. 

13 Jul 2010
DandH

What is the problem with picking up perfectly good items out of the trash? Or items that need to just be repaired. When someone throws something away is it only supposed to go to the dump? Maybe someone else can use it. At other bases we have been to if we stuck something out at the curb for the trash there was always someone  who would drive by and take it away. So what, I didn't want it anymore and someone else did. At our last base on trash day you could see people drive through the neighborhoods just looking for things. One lady would come by and pick the cans out for recycling. I do see a problem with making a mess and not cleaning it up but if someone wants an item out of the trash why should you care?

13 Jul 2010
Mary Jane

I think a lot of times too folks put stuff out at the trash that they simply don't want to take to their next duty station or their shipment has already gone and there's no way to take the last items along (not like being able to drive to your next duty station in the States).  It's nice when they set perfectly good items away from the trash so that folks can reacquire them.  It's too bad there's not a spot on base where folks can drop off nice unwanted items and others can take them (without having to go into the trash areas).  I know you can drop items that at the Thrift Store and they are resold; but sometimes folks don't necessarily want their items resold, but simply given away.

13 Jul 2010
Concerned

The sad thing is when you have put something out in the trash that was your childs and you have put it out there because some of these stray cats have sprayed it or used it as a litter box and you had to throw it away. Then you get on Naples All Hands and you see that someone has gotten it out of the trash and now has it For Sale. I would not want to buy it if I knew that it had all of that in it even if it was cleaned out. That is sad!

14 Jul 2010
MariJai

First of all I have doubts that Italians can go through trash as long as they are not the garbage men that try to separate the garbage that you don't collect for recycling.

I don't know if some of you know that if you don't collect garbage for recycling you can get a tickets (at least where I live) but maybe living in your small world such as the SS you don't know we recycle.

I was wondering... if you don't like that people go through your trash instead of throwing good items why don't you bring them to the thrift store?

14 Jul 2010
Lyndsi

I maybe should have made myself a little clearer, I was talking about the Italian worker ripping open trash bags, digging through them and taking some sort of paper out of them to put in his little cart.  It doesn't bother me if someone takes something of use out of the trash dumps, if you can get some use out of what I can't then go for it! We don't throw away important documents but that doesn't mean that everyone else follows the same procedure. When I called the guard shack I was simply looking out for others who do throw away bank statements and such. Also, I was not saying ANYTHING negative about our security, they do the absolute best with what they have.

23 Jul 2010
Papi
User Banned

The trash been collecting in there bring sickness and deceases, is important for this community to keep giving complain about this situation because is important for the community, anyway about the people taking the trash to their house that’s their business, but don’t come here and talk like you own some trash business, because you don’t see what is behind the wall, your kids are getting infest here.. One day is going to be a plague of flies that are going to get inside of your house and it will eat you a life..Think and look the big picture ladies..I saw yesterday a half inch fly in my house, it was horrible to see this,, the funny part is the trash is right in front of my windows, but who cares right.

31 Jul 2010
Mary Jane

Actually Lynsdi has made a good point that I did not understand from her previous post.  If someone, anyone (American or Italian), is going through the trash to obtain personal identity information, this IS a BIG problem that needs to be taken up with security.  Sounds like a commercial on AFN, doesn't it?  Lyndsi, by any chance have you contacted security right when you've seen it happen and request that they come out to check the guy's cart, expaining your concern?  Not sure that they would actually do it, but I would ask.  And when you call, get the person's name so that if no one comes you can give specifics when you talk to the chain of command about why no one checks on a possible security.  I have not personally seen anyone do what you have described, but if I did, I would definately be very proactive about making sure it was looked into. 

01 Aug 2010
Lori

I was just out on my balcony and saw two females going through the trash in the dumpsters.  One female a little older than the other.  Not sure if they were American or Italian but either or it is disgusting.  Someone needs to stop whomever is doing this.  It is unsanitary and not safe.

02 Aug 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post
Re: 2 women going thru our trash..

So did it occur to you to be pro-active and simply ask them? Perhaps they live on base and accidentally threw something away and were searching for their garbage bag? Perhaps they were identity thieves.  The point is, you could've just politely asked what they were doing and gauged their response. I think those who write these posts and complain generally do nothing themselves and expect security to do everything. Keep security focused on the terrorists, and how about some "neighborhood watch" pro-activiity for those who live on base.  Trash pickers who are up to no good would quickly get the message if they were constantly approached by vigilant base dwellers.

02 Aug 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

I fully agree about people needing to be more pro-active but a neighborhood watch is going to the extreme and (I believe) would just cause a "witch hunt" I have found there are many here who point fingers when it suits them but don't follow other rules and regulations when they don't feel something should pertain to them!  People need to be responsible for themselfs and their own security by shredding important info.  I know my family shreds everything that has our name and address on as well as anything which maybe important to someone else.  If they don't and they get their identity stolen they can only blame themselfs.

As far as the trash goes once it's in the trash I am guessing it's free game? Who ever wants to dig through as nasty as I personally think that is and they don't dump any of it out, I have no problem with it.  What's that old saying "One mans trash can be another mans treasure" 

04 Aug 2010
cole

I was driving by on Sunday and saw the Italian Mirabella hotel cleaners going through the trash too. I wanted to stop and say something, but my husband was in a hurry. This is not the first time and is a security issue. Many people throw out sensitive info (even though they shouldn't), but this definitely needs to stop.