follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » People & Society » 4th of july?
05 Jul 2010
jason
4th of july?

Was yesterday at Carney Park a 4th of July celebration or an italian party??  it was hard to tell. 

05 Jul 2010
joe
Re: 4th of july?

seems like it.. I dont think I will be going next year!

06 Jul 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post

We have been here 6 years, the first year we went to Carney Park for the Halloween Festival, it was manic!! I said there and then NEVER would I go back to an open festival.  I have some wonderful Italian friends "however" I don't like Italian crowds, there is no order, the pushing and shoving is not for me.

06 Jul 2010
mary

Can a Military base JUST have functions for Military Families and Civilians?????????????  Seems like they have enough to do outside.

06 Jul 2010
jason

Yeah--don't get me wrong we have great italian friends and try to keep a positive attitude and not catagorize...but it was 4th of July...being pretty homesick we were really looking forward to something 'american'.  there was a woman trying to get ahead of everyone in a line and when the vendor told her to go to the back she replied that she didnt understand english..it touched me wrong.  and another family we had an experience with recently who told us americans are all rude and wished we were all gone was there!  It was like we're not good enough to give a fair shake but they were the first ones in line to take advantage of what we had.  It was all pretty disappointing.

07 Jul 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post

I agree. American holidays should be set aside for Americans. We are homesick and missing Stateside family and friends......it would be nice to enjoy our holidays here and celebrate together without the added chaos of including the local Nationals and their families.

We were at Carney Park last Halloween and will NEVER go back to Carney for a holiday celebration that includes the Nationals.

I think there can be general celebrations at Carney that include our local Italian community; however American holidays should be for us to enjoy.

07 Jul 2010
Dominique

My family and I have been here for going on 7 years. The first year we went to 2 functions at Carney Park for two different functions. One was Halloween, and we have never wanted to set foot in Carney for any holiday celebration ever again. Our child (who was only two at the time) was shoved to the ground and her candy taken by bystanders while we were trying to lift her up and comfort her. I was about 7 months pregnant at the time and was shoved repeatedly by Local National teenagers, trying to run over and in front of the smaller children to get to candy being handed out. Parents stood back and did nothing to contain their children, even though they were "guests". Worst experience we've had here, but we avoid situations like this to make sure we don't get a repeat. 

To outright exclude Local Nationals would be, I think, an act of hostility. In truth, no matter where you are in Naples someone is cutting someone else in line or in traffic, and I've even had people even walk directly in front of me and stop while I was standing in front of a shelf in the grocery store. Its as if everyone is oblivious to anyone else's feelings, how long they've been waiting, etc. Its all about the perception. "If I don't make eye contact with you, than I don't really see you, therefor I'm not doing anything really wrong." Instead of excluding Local nationals at holiday events, I believe there should be a sort of "Code of Conduct"enacted to make sure run ins and hostility doesn't breed contempt for the locals. NO cutting in line, NO taking more than anyone else, NO children behaving in an unsafe manner, Parents will be responsible for their children's' (and teens') actions and will be asked to leave if not dealt with. Things like that. 
  As much as I love living in Italy, I hate the attitude that comes with it as much as the next American who feels excluded at an event meant for Americans. Maybe before the next major event, someone could suggest this at the next Town Hall meeting? 

10 Jul 2010
Tim and Kristina

I prefer if we can just do something with the military base/post which ever you want to call it we should have stuff on the support excluding the outside people. it would be better,italian think they just have it made and can boss people around. I am a very nice person but when someone pisses me off or gets in my way i don't take it nicely.

12 Jul 2010
kristie

how do we change this?

12 Jul 2010
jason

Saturday night on the SS when the band played it was a great experience!  Functions need to be on the SS ...I beleive that would change things.

13 Jul 2010
Mary Jane

I thought at first that it would be better to hold the 4th of July celebration on the Support Site as well, but then the mayhem that we see at Carney Park would be brought to where we have a large number of our families housed.  I know I wouldn't want that crowd roaming around the housing area/school on the Support Site.  The problem is not going to change unless the people that are invited change.  Realistically, security is not going to police people pushing, shoving, being rude, and cutting in line (although I completely agree that these small infractions can be dangerous in a crowd, especially with little kids).  And as much as I hate the fact that we have to put up with the arrogance and rudeness that the locals seems to be proud of, I understand why we can't say that it's OUR holiday and OUR celebration.  We are guests in this country (even if we're not here by choice) and we are part of a NATO command.  Maybe if we all quit going to the celebrations at Carney Park, the command will come up with a better idea.  I would like to know how many Americans actually went to the 4th of July celebration in comparison to FNs.  If the Americans aren't going, then our command dollars should not be funding it.

18 Dec 2011
WC

Years ago, the Fourth of July, or former Festa Americana, required Italians to be signed in by US ID card holders and that seemed to work.  It was a nice gesture to bring your Italian friends or landlord to Carney Park.  The service member was responsible for their guests and their actions while in the park, like I said, it worked.  However, we went this last year and probably won't be going back.  We won't be doing Spooktacular either, for the same reasons.  These festivals are no longer about celebrating a US holiday and appear to be more about commands, or command organizations, making money for their cause.  The Fourth of July and Spooktacular ended up being a HUGE disappointment for my family because it wasn't a celebration of our holidays, it was about making money.

20 Dec 2011
Scott

Agreed, the so called American Holiday events at Carney Park have become more about how much money commands can make instead how much fun they can be. This is our second full year.  We have gone to Spooktacular twice.  Both times were disappointed and if we spent more than 2 hours there I would be surprised. Where are the games, were is the fun for the kids.  Sorry but a train ride in a big circle doesn't cut it.  If it were not for the Sea-Bees and their Haunted Houses then we wouldn't be going at all.  We pretty much have written this one off and if we do go it will be only because, "A" we have a booth set up, "B" our kids really really really want to go, or "C" they finally have something to offer besides over crowded lines and bad food that costs too much and I have to wait 15 minutes to get.  My best guess if none of those will happen. For this I say pack your own food and/or drinks.  The more people that bring these the less they will buy.  If the commands realize people are not willing to spend their money on a $3 hot dog and a $2 soda they will either lower the prices and stop trying to rip people off, or they will just not show up and try to sell their horrible food for over inflated prices.  As for the 4th, we have not been to Carney for this and doubt we ever will.  The horror stories from this beat the Spooktacular by miles.  In reference to the large amount of Italians "invading" American celebrations at Carney.  We just all have to remember where we live and who our hosts are however gracious or over-bearing they may be.  If you see them doing something wrong don't be afraid to speak up.  If you continue to let it happen or don't do anything to correct the problem them you have no room to complain about it.

21 Dec 2011
robert

I agree that the prices for food and drink by the commands is outrageous. A single can of soda from the commsairy is .34 cents so you figure a 12pack + is alot less. $2 is a rip off why not .50cents to $1.