follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Education » American Kids in Italian Schools- please share!
24 May 2010
Erika
American Kids in Italian Schools- please share!

Hello,

I have three children in Italian school and I just wanted to share my experience with other parents since I have had so many questions from people about different schools. My children used to go to Froebel, which was an excellent bridge to then go full emersion at a school that is much closer to my house. If you live in the Licola, Varcaturo area, there is a very good little Italian school called Instituto Montessori. It is not the JFC Montessori school. It is not a traditional Montessori school, they are hands on, but it is still a traditional classroom setting. The children have assigned seats and I have found that it is pretty well disciplined (by Italian standards). It is in all Italian, they have a nice garden area and the Italian children have welcomed my children with open arms. My 3/5 year old adapted really well. My 7 year old needed more assistance, since he has to learn in Italian, but he is also doing well. I did need to enlist the assistance of an Italian speaker to help him with his homework which is anywhere from 15-35 minutes a day as a 2nd grader.

It is the first school that my kids have really loved. I just wanted to let others know since it was not easy to find. It is only 115 Euros per child per month which is extremely affordable, in my mind, and they have early drop off and pick up if you need it. They also have a little pony and a goat, which my kids think is cool. Here is the Google maps link if you want to know were it is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=naples,+italy&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.748002,55.634766&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Naples,+Campania,+Italy&ll=40.902404,14.149339&spn=0.003811,0.006791&z=17

As far as I know I think we are the only American Family at the school, so please let me know if you need any further information about it. Good luck to all of you out there that are determined to do emersion. There have been some challenges, but overall it has been the highlight of our tour here to watch our children adapt, overcome and thrive. They have gained so much confidence over the last year in has been amazing!

If you have other stories about schools, please share. It always helpful to hear the good and the bad!

Erika

24 May 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
American Kids in Italian Schools

Just a quick question, I think it's great your kids are enjoying the Italian school "however" how do you think they will adapt when having to leave and either go to a different speaking country or back to the states? Will they be on the same level and do they teach Italian state side? Also, are you allowed into the school to check on your children? Do they have an open door policy? Thanks.

25 May 2010
Erika
going back

I follow my children's work by what they bring home for homework. I can go to the school to see their activities; I just have to call them to let them know that I want to speak to the teacher. Obviously it would be an interruption to my children if I went into the class on a regular basis. My son is reading in Italian, and English, and doing division in second grade. He has become very interested in their Science program as well. I don't see any area that he is not keeping up with American Schools. I plan on continuing their Italian language development back in the States, by either hiring a tutor, or employing an Italian speaking Au Pair. While Italian is not a commonly taught language in the school system, it will surely assist them in their future study of Spanish or French. If we go to another country, I will do my best to teach them that language also...though it is not likely we will. They have learned the language effortlessly; it just took a little bit of patients and perseverance. It also takes a little bit more effort and involvement on my part to make sure that they will be prepared to go back to American School. I also supplement history/government/ social studies into our family learning/reading.

26 May 2010
Erika
A better picture of the school

Here is the Google Maps link, the last one was not very clear.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=naples,+italy&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.748002,55.634766&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Naples,+Campania,+Italy&ll=40.902575,14.149701&spn=0.000748,0.001203&t=h&z=20

26 May 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
A better picture of the school

Way to go Erika, it sounds like you are really on the ball. Your children are very lucky to have such a dedicated mom. You are right as by speaking Italian will help other languages come so much easier, you truly are a credit to your kids.

06 Jul 2010
ANON
Re: American Kids in Italian Schools- please share!

Hi Erika,

That is great!  We are firm believers in immersion.  As you may know, we lived in Rome prior to Naples and sent our then 3 yr old daughter to a private italian pre-school.  It was an adjustment for her as no one spoke English (thankfully my husband and I do).  The second year she went to a local Monteruscello pre-school with our 2 yr old son, where again, no one spoke English. 

Our daughter, now 6, is fully bi-lingual and attends the JFC Montessori school.  Next year, she starts 1st grade and will follow the Italian Standard Program with the Italian kids while the other NATO kids break away to learn Italian as a second language.  

Our 3-yr old son, who was hearing impaired while attending the Italian pre-school, still understands everything spoken to him in Italian, but will only speak it with his Italian friends (short phrases) and Italian parents at the JFC Montessori pre-school.  He is catching up though in both languages, although he likes to mix both.   He has even turned "buono" into a verb...very cute!

I'm not concerned about their return to the US since I think the educational requirements here are on par with the US.  In fact, the JFC is the ANGLO-Italian school so it must meet both American/Italian standards, if I am not mistaken.  The downside is that JFC is considerably more expensive, but if you can afford it, the kids seem to excel and have fun with friends from various cultures (France, Germany, Turkey, Dutch, Greek, etc).  It has been great for us as parents to have that exposure as well!

03 Sep 2010
erica

Hello Erika,

We have met a few times at CP and Spoke about the school. My daughter attended School in Lago last year and now we are looking for a new school. I would love to visit the Montessori that you are talking about but I am having trouble finding it. Is it right off the Licola exit?

05 Sep 2010
Cristina

Any bus transportation from Lago Patria to the Montessori School in Bagnoli? My child is going to attend 3rd grade and we live in Lago. If you have info on the school, please share, Thank you

24 Sep 2010
Erika

Hello Erica,

I posted a reply to you before but I don't see it, so I am just getting back.  Yes, I remember you from Carney Park.  I would love to assist you in finding the school.  It is about 3-4 miles East after you get off the Licola Exit.  Please call me and we can arrange to meet or I can just give you better directions.  It was hard to find for me at first also.  Where are your kids in school now?  The school we are going to "Instituto Paritario Montessori" is currently developing a program for American students to make their transition to full emersion easier.  Better for the parents too.  My kids love it and we are excited to see other American, German, and Spanish children coming to the school.  This year they are offering soccer, basketball, dance, and computers for afternoon activities.  Though there is some additional cost associated (25E/month) the over all cost of tuition is very affordable and worthwhile compared to the other schools we have been to (3 others).  Today my children are harvesting and stompping grapes to make "wine", or grape juice, but they are convinced it is wine.  Please call, I would love to chat. or get together for a playdate.  340-891-6095.  The link to the google map of the school is in my first post....let me know if it does not work for you!

Sincerely, Erika

11 Nov 2011
Nikki

Dear Erica,

I've put in the google map address a bunch of times and it keeps bringing me to the center of Naples. Do you have a phone number for them or a website that I can look at. I have a 3 and 5 year boys that I'm looking to get into a school. Please email me at Nhans85@hotmail.com with any more information. Thank you for posting....I have been looking for 2 months for schools with no luck!

-Nikki Haskins-