follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Home & Moving » A Few Questions
27 Mar 2010
William
A Few Questions

My wife and I have a couple question, so we thought this would be the best place to go.

1. We're planning on moving into base housing and wanted to know if we have to wait for a place before we move in, how much stuff do you think we should pack in our checked bags? We're leaving around mid to late June.

2. The NSA Naples website didn't say, but is there base housing on Capo?

Thanks so much!

27 Mar 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post
Base Housing

Hi there, depending on your command and apt availability, you'll be in TLA (NAvy Lodge) until you move into your regular place. It could be days to weeks. I would bring as much clothing as you will need for the first two months, as your "first wave" can take about 45-60 days to arrive. If you are in your apt before your things arrive, the housing office has "loaner kits" for kitchen and furniture supplies etc. If you have kids, I suggest shipping a box of their favorite books/toys, as it will arrive faster than the first wave stuff. FYI there is no housing at Capo.

Hope that helps!

28 Mar 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post
p.s. Your sponsor

Your sponsor should really be able to help you with housing. I've heard some sponsors who have even gone to housing, put you on the list ahead of time, so when you arrive you don't have as long a wait.

30 Mar 2010
Emily
not really

1.You should be getting a two bedroom and I believe there are plenty of those available. We were only in TLF for 14 days to wait for a 3 bedroom. - If you need a room that allows pets you should try to reserve that as soon as possible. There are not many that allow it and a lot of other people will be moving then too. There were people on the plane with us that had to pay for boarding because there was no room. Your TLA does not cover the boarding fees but it does cover the other room.

2. We were confused about the housing location too. The on-base housing is on Gricignano, which is referred to as the Support Site. There are some other military neighborhoods (parcos) off base, but you will most likely be here.

Did you ever get pics of 2 bedroom apartments?

30 Mar 2010
jason
checked bags

HI William,

I agree with the others, pack enough for two months worth of clothes. Our experience however was that we packed way too much checked baggage. we were traveling with kids and it was terrible hauling all of it during the layovers with the kids. You really dont need anything in TLA except personal items. If you have a baby they have portable cribs so you can save the hassle of carting one of those if you need one.

Also, tell your sponser now that you need TLA that allows pets! Ive known quite a few people who did not get this done and had to pay to board them which all can be avoided if your sponser lets them now ASAP.

Good luck :)

30 Mar 2010
Lori
Base Housing

If you will be moving into a 2 bedroom and they are available, your sponsor may be able to get the keys and move you right in. Definitely ask him/her.

TLA will have pots, pans, dishes, etc and if you're in one of the ones for pets, a washer and dryer, too, so all you should need is clothing and if you have kids, some favorite toys. Summers are warm, so only pack light clothing. If there are products you really like, find out if they're sold here so if they aren't you can bring some with you or pack them out. The library on base has computers you can use, but if you bring a laptop they also have Wi-Fi outside when they're not open.

31 Mar 2010
Emily
wireless internet

There is now wireless internet available in all TLA rooms. We had it our first night in the Navy Lodge and also the rest of our stay in the TLA apartments. Bring your laptops! Also, bring a battery powered alarm clock. Even the alarm clock that the lodge loaned us wouldn't keep time when we plugged it in.

05 Apr 2010
William
To Emily...

One person sent had me add her as a friend on facebook to see a video of her apartment, but I couldn't see it from the ship. No one sent any pics yet. Tell Ronnie I said hey.