follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Animals and Pets » Land Mines......
23 Feb 2010
Jeremy
Land Mines......

For those of you that have dogs and pick up their fecal matter, Thank You!

This message goes out to all the people that feel that they are better than picking up their dog crap. If it is to difficult to clean up after your dog(s) then maybe you should not have them. I am getting sick and freaking tired of having to watch where I step when I take out my garbage.

Nobody is even telling you that you have to go out and buy special dog poop bags. I am pretty sure that most people one the base shop and the NEX, Comissary, or Mini-Mart. Last time I checked they gave out free bags with a purchase.

Ok I will get off my soap box now.

Again THANK YOU to those of you that are responsible pet owners!

23 Feb 2010
Chad
User Banned
Land Mines...Return the Favor!

I'm with you, Jeremy. Although I've been pretty lucky where I live I think I would be inclined to return the favor and bag it up for the dog owner and return it to their doorstep - nonrefundable!

23 Feb 2010
M.
More than 100 messages post
Chad

I'm right there with you! I have yet to witness something like this, but I have promised myself that, if I ever get to see anyone not picking up their dog's poop, I will follow them home and report them to the MAs. And if nothing is done, then I will most likely bring them their poop back on their doorstep. These dog owners are disgusting individual who do not deserve to have a dog. And if the ones who do not pick up are the kids, this means that the parents do not know how to properly teach manners to their child(ren). The grass outside our building has become one giant litterbox. It is disgusting. Between our building and the school I usually run into at least 5 poops each morning. It is extremely gross.

For those of you who pick up, THANK YOU!

23 Feb 2010
Marilyn
I TOTALLY agree!

I have seen it everywhere infront of the schools where children don't pay attention and shouldn't have to pay attention to where they step! It is disgusting and there should be $$$

fines to those people who just don't have any consideration for anyone else!

24 Feb 2010
Lori
By the school

Over by the school is where the Navy Lodge puts people who have dogs. Figure the odds that they tell them that dog owners are responsible for picking up after their pets. If someone sees a pile, they may figure why should I pick up mine if someone else didn't pick up theirs?

According to what housing has been telling some people, the base housing is nearly full, so maybe now is a really good time to change the policy back and begin telling new people they have to live out in town or in the parcos with dogs. It'll take up to 3 years to phase them out, so we will still have to put up with it in our time here, though.

24 Feb 2010
ABE
Flaming Poop

Remember that movie where someone puts a brown bag of poop on a doorstep, lights the bag, rings the bell, and...!

Seriously, though, can you imagine what's going to happen to all that poop when the rain stops washing it away, the weather warms up, and the flies make their springtime reappearance?? OH, MY!

Time to start doing some video production and take it to the MP's. The camera don't lie!

24 Feb 2010
Jeremy
Chad

If I knew who was doing it then I would do that. I think that I know where it is coming from but I am not 100% sure. Most of the people in my building are really good about it, but I think that it is coming from the next building where the kids walk the dogs. It just really pisses me off because when summer comes around I am going to want to take my daughters out in the grass and I know that I will not be able to because of this.

24 Feb 2010
sara
agree

To me should back like 4 years go when is not dogs at all ,because not only the not pick after poop ,but many when the leave, the give away o then let go.Sad.

24 Feb 2010
JoAnne
Land Mines......

I'm with you all on this. I was against dogs being on the base to begin with, not that ppl should not have a dog but because I knew most would not pick up after them, they would be left on balconys to bark and many would be left on base like the cats when folks PSC. Sorry to sound like a bleeding heart but being an animal lover of both cats and dogs take them with you when you leave. Even if it's to put them in a no kill shelter back in the states as least they are not roaming free on base. PSCing can't take with??? YES! you can, they just don't want to. So for all those thinking about getting an animal think about if you intend to take it with yuo when yuo leave, if not then don't adopt!!!

25 Feb 2010
ABE
Declawed Cat Dropped Off

So, if you want to adopt a cat and you live off base, just bring a cage, good judgement, and a can of Pounce to shake. When I did, I found over 35 in the course of 3 minutes (housing across the street from the school.)He's a real charmer and we are blessed to have such a sweet fella! Besides having him altered, his former pet owners had him declawed (but not microchipped...hmmm...)and, much to our dismay, de-padded. He was then dropped off on base to fend for himself. Top it off, he has had ongoing problems with his front legs and paws and the vet said he's only about 2-3 years old. Would be mighty interesting if security started checking trunks.

25 Feb 2010
Lori
I pity the fool

who would tell me I COULDN'T take my cat back with me. She'll be 13 in April and has been with me longer than my daughters. She's lived in Texas, Florida, Maine, Hawaii and here and will be returning to the city of her birth this summer when we retire. Hopefully she will be with us in a couple of years if we come back over to teach. She is a cancer survivor, "spoons" me at night and more than once has warned us about centipedes or scorpions in the house.

There are ways to get your pet back with you, you just have to want to!

25 Feb 2010
JoAnne
I pity the fool

Good on ya Lori, We feel the same way. We brought our cat with us from Guam (adopted there) and we have adopted a 2nd one here. BOTH will be leaving with us when we leave. If we get Germany I am planning on taking the 2 outside my building I have been feeding for over 2 years, (much to the annoyance of my neighbors) if not and we stay here we will be moving off base and I will take them then. I wish we could have more than 2 pets in the appts, especially cats, which together weigh less then the 70lbs per dog people are allowed!! Thats more than either of my kids when we first arrived here..

25 Feb 2010
Jamie
Amen!

Everything in this thread is spot on! The animal situation on this base is very sad! Thankyou to the responsible pet owners who do clean and care for their pets! It is very frustrating to me ( both a dog & cat owner living in housing) when I am out walking with my dog and people are audibly complaining (meant for me to hear!) about how dogs should have never been allowed on base and all the crap piles laying around... I clean up my pets waste! Perfect example of a few people who ruin it for everyone and give us all a bad name!

25 Feb 2010
d
I agree

The dog feces situation is getting intollerable. My kids like to run through the grass, and now we have to watch where we go. I like what you girls are saying about the cats as well. We are "Owners" of our pets..let's take some ownership and responsibility.

25 Feb 2010
Jeannie
More than 50 messages post
Military and Pets

This blog on dog poop woes reminds me of the whole Friends of Animals fiasco that blew up in early Fall. That blog also evolved into the whole question of should military people overseas be allowed to have pets.

As a "Civvie" I find it frustrating how many military people list their animals on NOH with the excuse that they are PCSing, retiring etc. and can't bring them along. I even emailed one gal to ask why, and she replied that she "did not want the dog, and so why should she bring it to the States"? I also overheard a young Navy woman talking about her puppy with a friend in the Commisary. She was going to get rid of him because "she wanted to travel and he was in her way". Banning animals on base for any future in-bound military folks is definitely an effective tool, but for all those who live off-base it doesn't change anything. It would take a strong military policy on overseas pet ownership and I don't see that as being anywhere close to their focus. It will probably take a bunch of bad PR for anything to happen. And I'm sure at some point that will happen.

As for the dog poop issue; strong public pressure will help, along with a building by building campaign. Parents do need to ensure their kids are picking up the poop or do it themselves. I saw a young boy, 8 or so, walking a puppy on school property. The puppy pooped, and they moved on. It is gross, and will indeed get worse as the weather gets nicer. Take ownership of your base, and don't expect the MP's to do it for you.

25 Feb 2010
JoAnne
Military and Pets

Great post Jeannie,

I love my cats and would never in a million years leave them behind but if ppl do not start to step up to the plate and start to take care of their animals we are all going to get penalized because of a few (a lot) of bad apples!! Or I should say Irresponsible pet owners. There has to be a way to start fineing ppl who bring/adopt an animal and then decide to give away or dump! (which seems to be the norm) NAH is a prime example just by looking at the posts on here! "PSCing can't take with!!!" YES YOU CAN! they just choose not to. I also called the same woman you did Jeannie and was disgusted in her response about the dog! There was a family in our quad who left out last October taking their cat and dog and let loose their other 2 cats and one bird. When going to security we were told "what can we do"??? "YET" when I fed them, I was told "do not feed the strays its against base policy" But dumping them is not? I am so disgusted with these people, it's just pathetic whats happening on bases.

25 Feb 2010
Jamie
Pets

So, lets do something! I would volunteer my time to try and help this problem go away! I agree with Valeta, I have a 2 year old son who loves to run in the grass, we've already had a few instances of poop on the shoes. I cant even let him help me walk the dog (which he really likes to do) because I have a hard time watching the dog, where I am stepping, and also where he is stepping. The grassy areas in front of my own building are disgusting. Im embarrassed when my neighbors see me out with my dog, I dont want them to think I contribute to the piles! You are all right, it will be even worse in the summer. So, lets brainstorm....what can we do to try and help!

25 Feb 2010
LBJ
Military and Pets

If you cant afford to take care of your animal, which means getting them chipped, to the vets when needs, pet sat when going on vacation and then flying them back with you where ever that maybe then do not adopt, it's as simple as that. You ladies are 100% right with everything you are saying.

25 Feb 2010
JoAnne
Pets and poop

I'm on board Jamie, can't even imagine how bad it will smell come summer. Since we get so many flies at least we will know where the dog poop is in the grass LOL! Things seem to fall on deaf ears here!!! Maybe we should think about taking it a step further or think who we could write to, to have "these" issues addresed.

26 Feb 2010
Carol
Pets

I agree with some of the comments. I look after pets as a business and whilst the majority of our clients are fantastic and caring of their animals. I have heard and seen it all although I learn every day ! I have dealt with people that when they are PCSing they just dump their animals to roam around. On the subject of pet poop, I am lucky enough not to live on the base but those communal areas sound disgusting. TRUE dog owners would not do this and actions like this give all people with pets a bad name. Here as soon as an animal poops it is scooped up bagged and put in a seperate bin and emptied every day. Poop just left around as we all know harbours diseases, flies and god knows what. I reckon they will stop dogs on base soon if his carries on.

26 Feb 2010
chris
Pets and poop

I'm also dreading the summer, I dont know how many days this last week or so on nice days we look out or window and see people walk into the park behind our building close the gate and let their dogs go peeing on the toys pooping all over and not picking it up. I have 2 young kids and dont even want to take them into the park now bc of it.

26 Feb 2010
Erin
Pets, Poop and Complaints

All, I would reccomend that instead of ranting in this useless forum that you send suggestions to both the NSA CO and the CNRE Commander (he forced this change on the NSA CO, by the way). Maybe if they see and hear from the victims of this dreadful decision this policy might be revisited by those in power to make a change. The security force is not manned to enforce pet policies. I believe the correct course of action would be to inform your respective building managers/housing zone coordinators and to keep the complaints flowing until they take appropriate action.

29 Mar 2010
DandH
Pets

I consider myself one of those responsible dog owners. I pick up after my dog every time he goes. I don't leave him outside for extended periods to bark. Eventhough that's what dogs do. When my husband and I arrived here we left our big guy in the US until we found a place to live. Unfortunately we were punished for being a dog owner and not allowed to live on post. I saw all kinds of stay cats on post but we couldn't have a dog. What sense did that make? I flew back to the US three months after getting here, picked up our dog and came back here. We live off post where families are more tolerant of having dogs. It took us a lot of effort to bring him here and we will be returning to the US with him. After having him in the family for 7 years I won't be letting him fend for himself. People who let their animals go are just cruel. There should be some kind of housing manager that you all can go to and complain about the dog poop. Maybe instead it would be nice if you all would talk to your neighbors about picking up after them instead of trying to get them kicked off post again. As for the people who think they can not travel with a dog, we found a wonderful dog sitter in town. She takes great care of him while we enjoy a nice trip out of town now and then.