follow us on twitter
find us on facebook
add post Forum Index » Shops & Shopping » Outragious Used Car PRICES!
10 Feb 2010
Marilyn
Outragious Used Car PRICES!

Does anyone else have a problem with the prices that people are charging for their 10+ year old cars?

I was checking out some cars with US Specs and some of them aren't even worth $900 but they are being sold over here for $3000+! That is CRAZY!

It is more economical to get a cheap car in the states 'that looks half descent' and have it shipped over here...Geeze!

11 Feb 2010
Chad
User Banned
Outragious Used Car PRICES!

It is a bit extreme but you have to understand the vehicles are being sold on a European economy; therefore, they are not subject to KBB values. Factor in road tax and registration as well and the price jumps even higher.

11 Feb 2010
Lori
Outrageous prices on a lot of things

It's just something you have to get used to. Hubby just sponsored some people in yesterday and their temp housing is $220 a NIGHT. The Navy Lodge in Hawaii isn't even $100 a night and you can stay in almost any AF lodge for about $45 a night. Is it just Naples where your hotel or rent is automatically your max allowable rate?

11 Feb 2010
James
Outraggious Used Car Prices!

Yeah... the used car prices are crazy! My favorite is the people selling there U.S. spec car for Euro, like 3,300 Euro is going to fool anyone.

12 Feb 2010
Marilyn
Outragious Used Car Pricess

That's what I am talking about James, THANK YOU! It is ridiculous and it's a rip off.

@ Chad and Lori, I totally understand that it's the European economy, but it really is a joke. I really don't know how some people sleep at night with the prices that they are charging people over here. This is a perfect example of Supply and Demand.

12 Feb 2010
cole
Great Point Lori!

This has been a major source of frustration for us! Everything here seems to have premium prices over here. Just the other day I picked up my coat from the dry cleaner and it cost me $18 for a simple woman's coat. Can't wait to get back to US prices!

12 Feb 2010
Marilyn
I agree Cole!

Everything is crazy over here, the Commissary isn't any cheaper either. We have a large family so I always buy alot when I got grocery shopping, but it's impossible for me to go in there and spend less than $500.00 (with coupons). In the states we pay cost plus 5% but over here, we are paying cost, plus 5%, plus local taxes, plus transportation, plus ????

15 Feb 2010
Robert
On the car prices

I totally agree with this. I understand things are more expensive here but come on! I mean charging like $3000 bucks for a car thats 15 years old and has like 150k miles?! I am a single sailor and I cant believe how bad it is to get a car! I can't even imagine how bad it is for the families. I don't know, I may be venting but I am glad to see others are frustrated by how ridiculous this is. If anyone knows any good places to look please let me know.

15 Feb 2010
Marilyn
On the car prices.

Hi Robert,

I really do understand where you are coming from, but I do know this: Network, network and network. Meet people and always mention that you are looking for a car. I know of people who have had cars 'given' to them, so I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time. I know this doesn't help your immediate situation, but you never know - you may be lucky enough to bump into someone who is giving their car away.

16 Feb 2010
Rick
Not just Naples

This really is just a European thing, even if you look on stars and stripes classified adds you will see people selling 1990's cars for $3,000 or higher in Germany. I personally see it as a sad thing when military members charge other military members exorbitant prices for a car that is not even worth half of what they are asking, for no other reason then that is how things are.

16 Feb 2010
Marilyn
You are so right!

When we were stationed in Japan, people would give their cars away for a pack of cigarettes. Of course they have the right hand steering wheel, but at the same time you were getting descent or half descent cars for almost nothing. But in Europe some of our fellow military members seem to have adapted the mentality of charging premium prices for vehicles because of the European economy. I think that people should just stop buying cars for this reason and let the people wanting to sell their US spec cars for Euro keep their cars then when they are ready to PCS they will end up losing out even more because of their greed.

16 Feb 2010
Robert
it really is sad

Marilyn I am just waiting till something comes around. But it is true, what happened to helping each other out? I understand wanting to get some cash out of it but come on is it really necessary to rip-off your fellow service members? I just find it sad and pathetic that it is that hard to find a decent price for a decent car. I hope something changes soon, but until then ill just have to wait to get some wheels.

18 Apr 2010
Jaime
They do cause they can.

I've left Hawaii twice (PCS) Each time I spent at the Hale-Koa and each time my rate went up when my TLA days kicked in. At the time, E5 was $85 or so a night, on orders, max rate to over $100 a night. They do it cause they can.

I bought a 1997 Alpha, yup 3,000 bucks. American = money so they charge it cause they get it. You can hold out, but you'd be walking or riding the bus.

JFC mess is pretty descent food for a little money. We pay 6-8 bucks for a crappy meal on Capo? Why, cause they can get it. MWR premiums, rent premiums get pushed to the consumer.

Dry cleaning. Is Ralph cheaper? I don't know, never used him but I know lots do.

Veggies: EXPENSIVE and crappy at the commissary. Markets or Ipercoop for me.

Not everything is big money, usually things tied to the base are big money.

19 Apr 2010
jason
I agree

Have you checked out the prices for the fresh green beans? 1lbs over $4...and theyre in season here! I buy them at the market and 1 euro gets enough for my family of 4. Its absurd..I was walking past the SS ITT advice is to ask office the other day and saw the trip to tunisa poster...almost $500 per person..you can take a ferry for $170 and bring your car for free....and the cruises they offer, we found one for half the price that mwr offered through a local travel agent...So don't get tricked...they do this because people still pay these prices...so ask around...I know I dont like to just give my money away.

19 Apr 2010
JoAnne
More than 100 messages post
I agree 2

We have lived here for 5 1/2 years (Good grief! and don't leave until the middle of 2011) I have MANY pet peeves with Naples and especially this base. They do NOT do the military members and families any favors. The NEX is the worst I have EVER see, major name brand HIGH prices and the shoe department (sorry) the foot locker is just sad! Apartments...hmm! lets not go there! And I love how the Italians make their rent prices up. Could you imagine one of their own having to pay what we do??? Then there is the robbing, the gauging, the stealing the........ Ok! the history is great and the rest of Italy lovely, as is Europe. I am not surprised there are so many miserable people here.